Thread: new new job

new new job

Ok here is my background 28yrs in electronics and appliance repair. TVs and home appliances, refrigerators and window ACs that kind of stuff. I have an EPA 608 card type 1 I believe.TV repair tanked in fact most electronics repair tanked.Appliance repair ok. I got a job offer to work at a medium size fertilizer plant doing operations and maintenance so I took it. Within a few weeks I knew more about that plant then 90% than the 50 or so other employes in the other part of the larger Agriculture company.What I could not handle the change over into farming talk and the formulas used to get the right fertilizer mix. Along with the 18hr days during the spreading season I realized it was not the job for me. Job change again.Now I am at a smaller college as a custodian. I am hoping to get an internal transfer to the heating/cooling maintenance or general maintenance within 1yr. I have worked on many small cooling systems and know the refrigeration process. I never went to school my knowledge is all self taught. The large systems on campus I am confident I can learn to repair with the proper schooling whether online training regular classroom or even a good book. There is going to be a opening over in the heating/cooling plant in few months I am told. Anyone got any advise on what I can do to prepare myself to go for this position? keep in mind I didn't repair central AC units just smaller systems.I am confident that with a few hrs of study I think I could be on my way to become a pro like you guys here.

Learn the refrigeration cycle and get a good foundation of electrical troubleshooting.

I know the refrigeration cycle.Mostly the small systems using just cap tubes. The large systems use different metering devises and different pressures that I am aware of but not confident in knowing what they should be. Electrical and electronics troubleshooting is a specialty of mine. Control circuits should come easy to me.

Would you be working as part of a team or solo?

Talk to the guys that do that work currently at your place and see if they can get you some copies of manuals for equipment around there, read those front to back, back to front, chew em up, spit em out, and read em all over again. There can be a goldmine of info in those things.

Make it known to the heads of that department that you are interested now and get a head start, maybe they'll let you work with the guys a little or have some training in mind for you, at the very least it puts your name in their heads when they're thinking about the position when it opens up.

In the meantime, kick ass at the job you have now and show them you work hard and want to learn. Apply for pro membership here (you have the required 15 posts and its FREE!), to get to all the real good stuff, and read as much as you can at hvac-talk!!!!

Good luck!
    Last edited by Johnny651; 08-04-2014 at 04:32 PM. Reason: engrish

How big is the equipment? Remember that the basic cycle is very similar from the largest chillers to the smallest window units, you just have to get your head wrapped around whats going on in between.
    Would tools be provided for you?

read! Know the sequence of operations, what should be happening can make problem solving a lot easier. Get a hold of some of wiring diagrams for similar units

The HVAC is on a 6 month hold now. That gives me 6 months to get up to speed. I would be working with a crew with heating (steam/hot water) along with AC. Most of the buildings dont have AC except some mini split systems they are installing.A couple buildings have what look like very large outdoor units. I am not sure if they are cooling towers or not.I do know one guy at the heating plant and he thinks its a waste to have me be a custodian and not working with them.The controls here use a lot of pneumatics. That is an interesting read. I plan do do as much reading as I can. For now Im going to be the best guy I can be and work towards a transfer. What a guy wont do for 100% health care insurance and a good state retirement plan. The pocked book will suffer until I can hopefully work into the HVAC position. This site is going to be very helpful also.

You are going to have to upgrade your 608 type 1 to at least a type 1,2. Did you take an open book test for your type 1? If you did then you will need to take the test all over again including the core. If you tested at a testing site then all you need to do is take the type 2 and 3 parts of the test. Sounds like you have the general knowledge needed to start out on the job your looking at.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

It was the online open book for the 608. Retesting shouldn't be much of a problem.I was just over at an ice cream social at the physical plant.I'm one of the new guys so I get the "where did you work before" questions.I was talking ACs ventilation and heat with some of the guys that were having cooling issues in their rooms and offices. 1 higher up supervisor type made the comment we will have to keep you in mind when the time comes to fill that open position.It will be 6 months before they can hire because of the rules that goes along with a state job.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsond View Post
    It was the online open book for the 608. Retesting shouldn't be much of a problem.I was just over at an ice cream social at the physical plant.I'm one of the new guys so I get the "where did you work before" questions.I was talking ACs ventilation and heat with some of the guys that were having cooling issues in their rooms and offices. 1 higher up supervisor type made the comment we will have to keep you in mind when the time comes to fill that open position.It will be 6 months before they can hire because of the rules that goes along with a state job.
    Get some books that have questions and answers for hvac like the state mech test and study study study you never know what comes from a custodial job.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.