Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Governance over AC/R Contractor Supply Houses.

Do any Cities, Counties, or States govern the AC/R Contractor Supply Houses? It seems we're headed to have a City Ordinace to eliminate non-Contractor AC/R Material sales.

not that I know of here, But I do get a bit pissed when I see people buy refrigerent at autozone when there is supposed to be a tech that charges a vehicle...

Here is what's supposedly going to be asked to have a Credit or Cash Acct:

•The Contractor must be a legal business
    •The Contractor must have an AC/R License
    •EPA Certification for purchasing Refrigerant or products containing Refrigerant
    •If Techs are employed, they must be TDLR AC/R Registered

That's how it is, or at least supposed to be here. I don't think its an ordinance but that's how the supply houses do business, most of them. Anyone can come in and buy a box of flex or a capacitor at a ridiculous markup but they can't buy a condenser.

What about states where you do not need a license to do refrigeration? I think there are a few states that hvac contractors dont need a license. I think that is too much government involvment with a private business. non CFC refrigerant can be purchased by anyone if im not mistaken so the only thing stopping someone from buying equipment is supply house company policy

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    That's how it is, or at least supposed to be here. I don't think its an ordinance but that's how the supply houses do business, most of them. Anyone can come in and buy a box of flex or a capacitor at a ridiculous markup but they can't buy a condenser.
    I see this all the time at a smaller chain supplyhouse. They'll sell everything but refrigerant at list price or they'll have some hack contractor along with the customer show up and try to work a deal on the price of equipment.

The piles of warranty electronic parts and compressors at this particular place is astounding and am willing to bet half of them aren't even bad or were fubarred due to shoddy installs.

Quote Originally Posted by mkovack View Post
    What about states where you do not need a license to do refrigeration? I think there are a few states that hvac contractors dont need a license. I think that is too much government involvment with a private business. non CFC refrigerant can be purchased by anyone if im not mistaken so the only thing stopping someone from buying equipment is supply house company policy

NYC doesn't require any type of HVAC licensing except if you're a building engineer operating large chillers or boilers. The only requirement is the EPA cert if you're handling refrigerant.

I believe most licensing requirements always start with good intentions touting increased safety or a unique standard that seperates the "good" guys from the bad. However, I feel, it eventually just turns into a money grab for the city or state issuing the licenses. There are plumbing and electrical companies out there doing work and have someone else with a master license sign off on the job. From what I understand, the requirements for obtaining either license is ridiculous with most of them having nothing to do with the industry and also carry an exorbiant price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Macreedy View Post
    I see this all the time at a smaller chain supplyhouse. They'll sell everything but refrigerant at list price or they'll have some hack contractor along with the customer show up and try to work a deal on the price of equipment.

The piles of warranty electronic parts and compressors at this particular place is astounding and am willing to bet half of them aren't even bad or were fubarred due to shoddy installs.
    I believe what's going to happen here is a step in the right direction. There's no new fees or anything. The TX DLR already asks for those things and the EPA Certification is a given.

Quote Originally Posted by mkovack View Post

+1. Hackers are gonna hack, regulations are just an added burden to the legit companies. It's like the gun laws that criminals never follow.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    +1. Hackers are gonna hack, regulations are just an added burden to the legit companies. It's like the gun laws that criminals never follow.
    +1 you can buy anything online that you can get at a supply house.

Wouldn't it be nice if Joe Schmoe couldn't go buy AC/R parts as easily as you can?

Auto parts stores have always sold to anyone. Here, Johnstone is wholesale only but Grainger's sells to everyone.
    What most non-pros don't know is there is a tier pricing structure at most supply houses. Even for the pro in some places there can be better pricing for the shops that buy more and pay on time.
    Many supply catalogs list prices at top tier.
    Now a question. You've retired and your furnace is broken. You know what's wrong but you're not allowed to buy the parts.
    These guys that aren't licensed pros will never be a threat to shops anymore than guys that fix their own cars. As it's going, machines are getting complicated to the point it's going to take a pro to fix anything technical anyway.
    Tracers work both ways.

As long as the supply house sells parts for not much more than Internet prices, they will profit well from selling to homeowners.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast