Post Likes

Blower door test equipment

We are starting to get into more townships where they require a duct pressure test for duct work in unconditioned space. I only found 2 companies that make these machines. I was wondering which machine is preferred and why? Thanks for responding.

2. Likes lkapigian liked this post
    Post Likes
    Duct leak test equipment is not the same as blower door equipment. United McGill is well recognized for duct leak test equipment but there are others. Duct leak test equipment is not cheap and you will probably need more than one size blower setup. Make sure you have a copy of the SMACNA duct leakage test manual.

Post Likes
    We have used a Minneapolis duct blaster machine to perform these test in the past. i looked up the company you referenced and that machine definitely looks expensive. The two companies i have researched was Minneapolis and Retrotec. I will look into getting a copy of the SMACNA manual. Thank you for your feedback.

5. Likes lkapigian liked this post
    Post Likes
    The SMACNA manual is a must. Use the duct area method for determining allowable leakage unless the engineer insists on percent leakage method which is bogus. Most engineers spec leakage in accordance with SMACNA but sometimes (rarely) get it wrong. Knowing the proper SMACNA procedures allows you to get with the engineer to agree on a good test. Until the sheet metal people you are working with experience how much ducts can leak be prepared to retest for leakage. I have even had them claim I used the wrong blower. Don't use an oversized blower because you could easily blow the duct apart. There are no real secrets and SMACNA has it covered.

Post Likes
    Thank you very much for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Post Likes
    We are in the Minneapolis camp as well Duct Blaster and Blower Door---