Thread: Noob here...

Post Likes

Noob here...

Recently started a job as head of maintenance for a grocery store/warehouse in my locale. My background is automotive (ASE certified brakes, str./susp., A/C and electronics) and for the first time in a long while I'm not working on vehicles for a living.

While some of the fundamentals are the same, much of my job is new to me...or at least different enough to seem new.

I've inherited a well-established network of professionals to call upon when I'm over my head (a lot, ) and I'm pretty good at knowing where my knowledge ends and my guesswork begins. I understand there are plenty of things that I won't be able to work on due to a lack of training or certs., but I do like to get advice when and where I can in order to (mostly) avoid looking stupid.

Between the store and warehouse there is 400K sq.ft., and has me feeling like this a good portion of my day, lol! I'm loving the new job, but I seriously feel the need to increase my knowledge, if not to perform the work myself, then at least to have an idea of what needs to be done and when.

Any recommendations you have are greatly appreciated.

Thank you and regards
    Tim Mason

Post Likes
    Sounds like a good place to learn and pick up more knowledge. This site is also good for that. Welcome aboard.

Post Likes
    I’m sorry but Head of Maintenance and no experience? That’s a rough way to learn.
    Please be careful, Read up on OSHA regulations, LOTO, Arch Flash and a long list of other regulations.
    You say you know your limitations that’s a good start. Get your post count up and apply for professional status, tons of information in the EF’s

Post Likes
    I have been on the job and Googled a question and had it send me to this site to read a thread and answer me question. Get your post count up ASAP.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    I’m sorry but Head of Maintenance and no experience? That’s a rough way to learn.
    Please be careful, Read up on OSHA regulations, LOTO, Arch Flash and a long list of other regulations.
    You say you know your limitations that’s a good start. Get your post count up and apply for professional status, tons of information in the EF’s
    True. It's my work ethic and my attitude that got me the job, it's going to be my work ethic and my ability to learn it properly that keep it for me. Like I said, I know what my current limitations are and I hope to address those in short order. That said, my employer told me during the interview process that it would take six months to a year to 'get comfortable' in this position. I want to compress that time frame, but not enough to jeopardize myself or my job. Careful and cautious is my mantra for the time being.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buford View Post
    Sounds like a good place to learn and pick up more knowledge. This site is also good for that. Welcome aboard.

My lord, that is has been! Thank you!