Thread: Coil frosting

Post Likes

Coil frosting

just want to run something by you guys, i have a unit that was engineered incorrectly, as my Air handler can only produce half the required CFM for the A/C, after a while my unit starts to frost up after the txv, was wondering if anyone has ever used a hot gas bypass to assist with this or if they have any other recommendations. A/C condenser and coil are only 3 years old. Air Handler is about 60 and would require a total Reno of building to remove it.

Thanks for your time

Post Likes
    That may work, but it would be inefficient and there would be a capacity loss.

Can you speed up the blower to get more cfm? Regardless of age, it still should have been sized for around 400 cfm per ton.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    As bobboan said you can look into speeding up the blower. Things to look into before doing any work: How many rpms is the blower wheel rated for? How much air can my ducts handle without bursting? Can my return handle the amount of air required?