Thread: Is Carrier FV4 a match for Infinity Heat Pump?

Post Likes
    Hello, I'm in middle of new house construction and my HVAC contractor just installed the indoor air handlers. They are FV4BNB006.

My contract calls for Infinity zoning (7 zones) and Infinity Heat Pump and matching air handler. A specific heat pump model was not spec'd as the contract was signed last year and anticipated new models.

Anyway, is this model air handler compatible with Infinity Zoning and Heat Pump. Is it considered the Infinity air handler? When I look it up it seems to be a Performance series model - but I may be confusing coil and air handler.

Further, the field supervisor said I have a 4-ton outdoor unit but 5-ton indoor. Is this common practice?

Thanks in advance. I'd sure like some good info so I can discuss intelligently with HVAC contractor.

PS: Added this with edit: Oh, at the same time they installed an incorrect zoning board (it was some bizarre 3-zone model not an Infinity 7-zone capable) and the inside controls were some low-grade builder control not the Infinity. Hence my concern that the air handlers were wrong too. Thanks

[Edited by macq on 07-29-2006 at 04:33 PM]

Post Likes
    Wrong air handlers. They need to be FE not FV. FV won't work with Infinity. Size of the fan coil is fine. Just got the wrong model.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    The FV air handler will not work with Infinity Contol or Infinity Zoning. You will need the FE air handler for Infinity. That said, the FV is a Puron variable speed air handler that will work with the Comfort Zone II control and a Infinity ourdoor unit, but it is not the communicating Infinity control system.

You got some bad information about the sizes of the indoor unit. Variable speed air handler, FV and FE, are not rated in tonnage. Due to their variable speed capabilities they are able to be matched with various sizes of outdoor units. The 006 will work with a 4 ton unit, but again you will need the FE.
    If all else fails....Try reading the directions!

Tell it like it is and let the chips fall where they may.

Any views or opinions stated here are strictly my own.

Post Likes
    Excellent info. Thanks to both of you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in