Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tools

forgot to mention extension cords. You will spend a few hundred on those.

Quote Originally Posted by TheApprentice10 View Post
    I am currently trying to get into the trade and many job postings want u to have your own tool. So I was just wondering if anyone could give me a list. Big or small, all tools needed to get the job done. Thanks
    My recommendation is get in the job and see what you'll be doing, I made the mistake of buying tools senselessly when starting and some of them never got used, if you're going to become an installer than buy tools that installers use, if service then buy tools service guys use. I bought some sheet metal tools when I started that I never used, I've been doing service pretty much from the get go. Just buy basic hand tools, screwdrivers, channel locks, adjustable wrenches, wire strippers and crimpers, a drill and go from there, these tools you'll use whether installing or servicing.

My opinion is this, if you don't know what you need, you won't be needing it. Basic hand tools and guages for now, your experience and your employers suggestions will guide you as you progress in the trade, just be prepared to buy those specialty items when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyBeer View Post
    All you need to start IMO is a basic set of hand tools, a set of gauges and a meter.

Once you land a job you can buy tools that meet your specific needs and acquire them over time.
    Yup

Most of the stuff in my diagnostic bag is stuff that any grown man should have to begin with....plus a set of gauges.

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by Krzyd View Post
    My opinion is this, if you don't know what you need, you won't be needing it.
    What a great way to say it.

Short, simple and to the point.

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    ....plus a set of gauges.

Digital?

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by TheApprentice10 View Post
    I am currently trying to get into the trade and many job postings want u to have your own tool. So I was just wondering if anyone could give me a list. Big or small, all tools needed to get the job done. Thanks
    Tool of awareness: It's an employer's Market right now,, so Many people are looking for work. This is a way the employer can Limit his application turn-out. Don't let it discourage You still apply. In the mean time look around your zip for local garage sales,, not only will u save money but the tools will have age on them so it will look like u know what your doing. First impression is important with fellow workers, Brand new tools all around is a flag for me Newbie.

Get one of those telescopic back scratchers at 7 11. It's not for your back its for that damm last filter u cant reach.

First Raise== Smart Phone,, Dont use the flashlight use it to take pictures of things u dont understand,, Look up at home not on site,, boss will think your on facebook. (tool of delete remove all social crap,, and it might be 2 late for that so act fast)

(tool of delete remove all social crap,, and it might be 2 late for that so act fast)

Ill prove it heres a list of 2002 Leaders on hvac-talk.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

a tape measure, a pocket note pad/ pen and pencil, a pocket knife. These are like american express dont go to work without them

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Yup

Most of the stuff in my diagnostic bag is stuff that any grown man should have to begin with....plus a set of gauges.

With one other exception.. Most men don't need a $200+ cat-III clamp meter.. For most of the stuff they should be messing with, a regular $20-30 multimeter should do. Wouldn't take one to a jobsite, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    With one other exception.. Most men don't need a $200+ cat-III clamp meter.. For most of the stuff they should be messing with, a regular $20-30 multimeter should do. Wouldn't take one to a jobsite, though.
    I carry a Fieldpiece SC45. Does what I need it to. About 60 bucks?

dont forget to add the "fish scale" to the tool list

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    dont forget to add the "fish scale" to the tool list
    Always !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast