I am having a 2 ton heat pump installed which requires a maxium breaker size of 20 amps. I am assumming that the disconnect needs to match the maximum breaker size but I can't find a 20 amp fused disconnect. Is there a problem using a 30 amp fused disconnect? Does the disconnect provide any overcurrent protection or is it's only purpose is to provide a local means to disconnect the power?

eldorado

There are disconnects made for the AC industry. It doesn't really make sense to fuse twice. i.e. Once in the panel and once outside. Ths disconnect is there to protect the servicer and can be locked out and it is maximum current rated.

If you would like to make the servicer really happy also haave installed a GFCI recepticle disconnect such as the ones here:

http://ecatalog.squared.com/pubs/Ele...3150CT0401.pdf

The recepticle requires a separate 120 V service than the AC.

Can you buy a 30 amp fused disconnect and put 20 amp fuses in it?

That is what I would do.

A non-fused disconnect would only provide a means to disconnect and no overcurrent protection, but you must have fuses or breakers somewere else in line, at the breaker panel, etc.

There are only two disconnect ratings for A/C use, 30 amp or 60 amp. Those are the MAX ratings. You can put fuses in it for any rating at or below it's max. So, you would use a 30 amp disconnect with 20 amp fuses, and that will work fine.

Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

A disconnect is a disconnect, used to turn off power while being serviced and does not need to be fused.

Some local codes require a fused disconnect,its the fuse size that matters, so if you must put in the 30 amp with 20 amp fuses.

Thank you everybody. I didn't understand my options before but now I do. You have answered my questions.

Eldorado

Originally posted by rickboggs
    A disconnect is a disconnect, used to turn off power while being serviced and does not need to be fused.

in nj it does, unless breaker is hacr rated.