Carrier Infinity Zoning

Ok guys, I've been out of the field since before these things came out and moved into commercial service management. Looking for some help from those of you that work with this stuff everyday.

Friend has 90+ propane furnace with 2 speed a/c. He gets free wood and has installed an outdoor wood boiler with hot water coil above the furnace. We want to integrate the boiler demand into the system so that it is 1st stage heat and then use a toggle switch to enable the furnace run as it normally would if he goes away during the winter or runs out of wood.

I believe the infinity zoning panel is a SYSTXCC4ZC01. The furnace is 2 stage var spd with 24v terminals and has a small communicating control adapter plugged into the board. So the ABCD bus runs from the damper control to the furnace and then out to the condensing unit. The system does have the smart sensors on each of the four zones.

I first thought to put a 3way switch on one leg to the inducer motor and have it switch to a relay to fire the boiler, but this would obviously cause furnace fault codes, so I am looking for another way to do this. I wonder if there is an aux heat interlock accessory?

I know this post is a little light on details like model numbers etc...but if anyone has any input on whether something like this is possible or not, it would be much appreciated.

I realize this is fairly unconventional but someone that works with this equipment regularly may have figured out a way to do stuff like this.

Thanks in advance!

wiring

you have to put in separate thermostats, rewire them to the green, for heat call, jumper the red, steal the green. I have done this in two houses, unless you install new stat's, you won't have back up heat.

I have used strap on aquastats, hooked up to the incoming boiler water pipe. Break the white wire, if thewater temp is above your set point, the call for heat goes to green for fan. If water temp is cold ( fire went out) then the white is energized as usual. That's how to do it with one stat.

there is an aux relay kit. I've used boilers with ah and hot water coils on infinity single zone setups. I'll get the part # and post it for you.

It won't work with what you have. You would have to put in a separate stat and and a couple other controls.

Quote Originally Posted by ottawaair View Post
    I have used strap on aquastats, hooked up to the incoming boiler water pipe. Break the white wire, if thewater temp is above your set point, the call for heat goes to green for fan. If water temp is cold ( fire went out) then the white is energized as usual. That's how to do it with one stat.

I have also done the same. The only thing you might have to do, is if your home has A/C, the voltage may backfeed and run the A/C. Just turn off the A/C breaker in the winter.
    Seatonheating "Well, when you are the salesman/layout guy/installer/owner, you kind of have to watch out for yourself."

Words to live by my friends.

Thanks for the replies but I'm not understanding completely....

The 4 wires to the smart sensors, zoning panel, furnace and condenser are (2)RS232 data + (1)24vH + (1)24vC. The 24v terminals in the equipment for non-communicating control are not used. So, I have no W wire to break. I am trying to take the digital heat command signal away from the furnace firing sequence and apply it to the boiler or vice-versa.

Maybe I will have to go with the original idea and simply let the furnace fault out.

oooo k

I first thought to put a 3way switch on one leg to the inducer motor and have it switch to a relay to fire the boiler, but this would obviously cause furnace fault codes, so I am looking for another way to do this. I wonder if there is an aux heat interlock accessory? NO

aqua stat is normally open, continue the white wire from stat to the aqua, and then to the relay in the boiler. in this case you won't know if your fire went out, unless you can hear your furnace fire up.

both houses that i have done, liked the idea better to set the furnace 10 degrees lower than the boiler set temp.

if you can't understand any of this, you should call someone that does.

trying to understand your situation, do you have remote sensor's in this house? if so, go with wog
    Last edited by kfitman; 06-30-2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: hugh

kfitman....I'm not sure that you are grasping the situation completely. I could very easily do what you describe if I had a conventional system with a 24V AC thermostat and W output connected to the furnace on the W terminal. This is an infinity zoning system using communicating equipment. The only white wire in the control of the equipment is the 24V Common side of the transformer that powers one side of the smart sensors, furnace control board and condenser control board . So what this means is that the 24V AC terminals on the furnace (R, W, Y, G etc...) are not used. As I initially described, all of the demand signals from the room controls (Heat, Fan, Cool) are sent to the communicating furnace and condenser via a pair of RS232 (DC) wires.

In the 24V control scenario you describe, if I connected W1 to a boiler relay and had the stat set to electric heat to bring the fan on with a call, then connected W2 to the furnace, why would I even need an aquastat?

I have worked with 24V control logic and designed ATC control panels for 30 years, so I have no problem understanding your guidance. However it does not apply to the proprietary digitally controlled system I have described.

Thanks

I forgot about this. If you use the network interface tell the control it's duel fuel and an iso relay I think this will work. Part # is SYSTXCCNIM01. I can email you install instructions if you can't get on partners.

Wogpa, thanks. That sounds like a great idea and may get me close.....2 spd ODU is cooling only and I could connect it as non-communicating instead, but wouldn't dual fuel configuration want to run the compressor on a first stage heat call? I found the manual and it looks like it can control a non-com ODU or HRV, but the IDU is always shown as communicating in every case. The aux heat kit you mentioned previously seemed to be the ticket, but I read that it is only compatible with a particular fan coil model, no furnaces. Thanks for putting some though into this!

wire up outdoor as non-communicating off of the nim or break a control wire to outdoor with an od stat or spdt relay. post all model numbers it can't be too hard to do.