Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The blower fan is driving my wife crazy she hates it so much she won't run the ac because she says the noise gives her a headache.
    I was told by a service tech that the unit was to big then another tech said the first guy was wrong(the house is 950-1000 sq ft.).
    I was thinking that if I move the ductwork up into my atic and put the return in the hallway ceiling it may quiet it down since you wouldn't be 10 inches from the fan motor.Could this work?.
    I asked a tech once and he said he'd run 2 10 inch returns off it and stickem in the ceiling and wall but never offered to do the work.
    The next step would be a new system.We looked into it a few years back,but never went through.
    Can someone reccomend some units that are real quiet if we buy a new unit and it's loud my wife will go nuts.
    It's a goodman unit it came with the house as far as I can tell they had it put in around 1990.

The system is loud because of the hole in the side of the furnace that is attached to the wall. Try turning a hurricane fan on high and sitting next to it. Ya can't hear crap.

You need to reconfigure that duct work. Wouldn't hurt to replace a 16 y/o furnace while your at it. Move it to the attic as suggested by the tech.

Furnace brand won't matter if you don't fix that return duct.

I'd rather you bought a Carrier furnace as my stock would perform that much better.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Originally posted by mushman
    The blower fan is driving my wife crazy she hates it so much she won't run the ac because she says the noise gives her a headache.

house is 950-1000 sq ft.).

Can someone reccomend some units that are real quiet if we buy a new unit and it's loud my wife will go nuts.

as far as I can tell they had it put in around 1990.
    VARIABLE SPeed Air Handler ! !!
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

ANY unit will be noisy in the current configuration. The freaking grill is mounted on the side of the furnace.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Thanks for the quick replys.
    I didn't have it installed that way it was like that when we bought the house.
    Who do I call to do a job like that a tinsmith or a hvac company?.
    Could I do myself?.
    Dan I was told by one guy the unit has a variable speed fan and it was running on low,but I cant believe that thing spins faster.

Re-route that vent pipe and bring your a large flex duct out of the top and route it into the ceiling over away from the furnace and drop you a return in the ceiling it will be a lot quitter.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Originally posted by mushman
    I was told by one guy the unit has a variable speed fan and it was running on low,
    variable speed fan or multi-speed fan? there is a big difference.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

I don't remember if it was variable or multi I was shocked that he said it was running on the lower speed.
    I would love to do the job myself but I'm not sure what I need.
    Right now it's a 20x20 return what size ducts and or how many will I need for the unit to get enough air?.
    Since it's sucking air as opposed to blowing is there a special kind or will rigid or semi rigid work?.
    Thanks for all the help.

"if"

there is any way possible, have furn.& coil moved to attic. have them metal duct (not flex)the supply duct down through closet.you have a headache potential in heating season too.it's called CO .what's left can be used as a broom closet or a place to your hats.
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

sorry, but

unless that's a multi-postion furnace -a horizontal application furnce will be needed.health is worth more than money.
    remember, with electronics; when its brown,its cooking and when its black, its done!!!

I would love to put it all in the atic.I had our local gas co.(keyspan here in ny)come out for a heating cooling estimate.They said no problem it will all go upstairs,but when the walkthrough guy came out he told my wife I'd have to build a room in the atic with sheetrock around the unit.
    I have no problem doing that,but it seemed like he was trying to dump the job since he gave her no further info.
    We never looked further into it.
    Is it possible to put it all in the atic?.

We do have a carbon monoxide detector in the closet and in the hallway,but that is also a concern in the winter.

[Edited by mushman on 07-29-2006 at 08:54 AM]

Originally posted by mrbillpro
    Re-route that vent pipe and bring your a large flex duct out of the top and route it into the ceiling over away from the furnace and drop you a return in the ceiling it will be a lot quitter.
    and while your at it, install some PERIOD and COMMA keys on mrbillpros keyboard.
    Note; proper punctuation sure makes reading some postings a lot easier.

Originally posted by deejoe
    Originally posted by mrbillpro
    and while your at it, install some PERIOD and COMMA keys on mrbillpros keyboard.
    Note; proper punctuation sure makes reading some postings a lot easier.
    Install a perfect sign on the back of deejoe, then while he is kissing my arse I can know I am getting a perfect arse kissing.

Were fricking a/c guys not a gay five beta capa like you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast