Is there some sort of Universal one size fits many compressor cover available. My 1996 Goodman is keeping me cool but it does make a bunch of noise in the process. If needed I can run outside and grab the numbers off the compressor and condenser, but it's raining right now and I've got my slippers on already.

Thanks

Rob

You should be able to pick up a compressor sound jacket at your local supply house. It should help some, but a noisy condenser could be caused by a number of problems.

Better yet, spend a few extra $ and get a better condenser.
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

I messed around with it a bit disconnecting the Condenser fan for a minute to see what noise it contributed to the chrous. I then disconnected the Compressor running just the Condenser fan. It seems that the vast majority of the noise is from the compressor. Are there external forces that could cause the compressor to sing like this? The compressor does not sound as though there is a problem with it, it's just plain loud.

Also because I'm not a contractor and therefore unable to purchase a compressor cover at the supply house what type of material are they made of. I may just have to roll my own. Do they somehow have to let the heat dissapate from the compressor while also quieting it?

As far as replacing the condenser I went back and forth trying to justify a system replacement but I ended up putting it hold for now because my system is really doing the job keeping me nice and cool. To further justify keeping my old 10 seer unit, I just received my July utility bill here in Maryland which reflects a significant increase in our cost per KH Hour, due to political incompetence and my bill was just $280. I had bills like this in my 1800 square foot townhouse and that was with a brand new 13 seer Trane.

Thanks for the info

Rob

Residential hermetic compressors are cooled by refrigerant vapor, they don't need to dissapate heat to the air.

You didn't say whether or not it has always been loud or if this is a new development. Before I simply blanketed the compressor, you should have a qualified tech examine the unit for possible external causes for the noisy compressor.
    If You don't have time to do it right, when will you have the time to do it over?

"Perception is Reality" Look & Act like a Professional

I’ve only been in the house since May 2005 and it made the same noise then. The system was checked out last in June 2006 and the tech didn't seem concerned about anything at the time. I didn’t think to ask him if the sound was normal. It sounds pretty typical of most condenser units I’ve heard over the years, but I never knew that they put covers on compressors or that compressors did not need to dissipate heat externally. How hot does the surface of a compressor get?

Thanks for the info

Rob