This site not only tells you about flight delays, but also has some scary information on how the people who watch our skies and keep them safe are dwindling every year, and how the FAA is not doing anything to hire more air traffic controllers.

http://www.avoiddelays.com/

This is from thier site:

>>>For years, aviation experts, industry pundits, and the air traffic controllers themselves have warned of a looming staffing crisis that could jeopardize the safety and efficiency of the world's greatest air traffic control system. But, as literally thousands of controllers become eligible to retire, the crisis is now upon us, leading to greater delays and a compromised system.>>>

>>>The FAA is artificially inflating staffing numbers. The FAA says it currently adequately staffed because it has inflated its staffing numbers by hiring supervisors instead of controllers. It is taking more people from controller jobs - meaning skilled professionals watching our skies - to fill numerous vacant supervisor positions, leaving fewer real controllers to work traffic. Many large en route centers have lost more than a half dozen veteran controllers to fill unnecessary supervisors' positions in 2004 alone. At Washington Center for example, 19 air traffic controllers were moved to the supervisory ranks. Nationwide, the FAA averages fewer than eight controllers for every first line supervisor - and that doesn't even consider the high numbers of second level and third level managers (all paid at higher rates than the controllers they supervise). >>>

>>>Recently Imposed Transfer Restrictions are Harming the Safety of the System.
    The FAA has made it impossible for experienced controllers at lower volume facilities to transfer to higher level facilities (which would allow new trainees to enter into the system at the lower volume facilities where they have the greatest chance of succeeding at becoming certified. Two years ago, the FAA restricted voluntary moves that would be at no cost to the government and instead implemented a restrictive waiver process. This summer, the FAA has worsened the problem by canceling all moves after June 5 for an indefinite period of time while it implements a new pay scale that would penalize experienced controllers if they move to busy locations where they are most needed.>>>

It is scary to think that day by day, our skies are bocomming less safe. It's only going to be a matter of time before an air traffic controller gets stressed out and acidentally collides 2 planes together.

It already happened at LAX in 1990 when an air traffic controller cleared a USAir plane to land when a SkyWest plane was sitting on the runway. The US air plane landed on the sky west plane and killed more than 30 people.

Maybe it's time to start driving.

Here's why I don't fly. I don't like the idea of being sealed inside of a metal tube, with 200 people, 25,000 feet above the earth, with nothing but a couple of wings filled with highly explosive fuel supporting it, and a couple of guy's at the helm, who may, or may have not had a bad day.

Combined with the air traffic controler situation, and the terrorist equation, I think I'll drive, or take a train.

Which is what I did on my honeymoon on September 9th, 2001.

Two days later, all flights in the US were grounded, but the trains still ran.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

I agree, it may be an irrational fear, but Im never stepping foot on an airplane, forget the statistics Im staying on the ground, I had this attitude before 9/11, watching them fly into buildings just reinforced it.

Do you people really think it's safer to drive than to fly? Granted there's things that can go wrong, but in all much safer in the air,with radar,no trees,bridges,or Mable's coming out of the Bingo hall to pull in front of you. BTW, you're sitting on top of some pretty explosive stuff in your car.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

I don't know if people think it is safer, I tend to think it is an issue of control. In general people need to be in control of everything. To fly, you are losing that control. When you are driving your car, there is a sense of having control of the situation. But it is an illusion.

Statistically as we all know, flying is safer than driving, but that is little help to most.

The way I see it, you can sit there and worry about every detail, are the pilots drunk, what about the nutty air traffic controller, are their terrorists on board.....or just relax, and try not to worry about it. Somethings in life you are not meant to be in control of. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Unions have been trying to scare people about air traffic controllers ever since President Reagan put his foot in the unions butt over trying to hold the country hostage with them.

Relax. Scrunch into that tiny seat area and put that seat belt on real tight. No, the seat belt is not going to do anything to keep you safe but it helps to identify your body if you are strapped to the seat.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

"Mankind has a perfect record in aviation; we never left anyone up there!"
    __________________________________________________ _______________________

Originally posted by smokin68
    Do you people really think it's safer to drive than to fly? Granted there's things that can go wrong, but in all much safer in the air,with radar,no trees,bridges,or Mable's coming out of the Bingo hall to pull in front of you. BTW, you're sitting on top of some pretty explosive stuff in your car.
    More explosive than jet fuel.
    “Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own." Scott Adams

"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
    Albert Einstein

But if it starts burning, I can always step out of the car and run. Kind of hard to do at 20,000 feet in the air
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.