Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That height should not pose a problem as long as the copper lines are sized correctly for the system.

This is a 5 yr old system. When did it stop cooling? How long has the TXV been laying in the attic?

Don't be shy. Let us know the entire scenario.

If the small copper line soldered into the cold line is cut,that small line is the external equalizer line that should go to the TXV,helps regulate pressure,thus coil temperature.Have you removed the access cover? Do you see a bulb clamped to the cold (large) copper line inside, that has a small tube going over to the small pancake top of the TXV?From your description,without being there,it sounds to me like a hack,not a technician,did the install.Sorry to be so brutal,but I've seen it a lot.

The bulb is still attached to the TXV and also on the floor.It has been this away since we have built the house. House was finished around the end of the summer and I remember I called them back out becaused it wasnt cooling and they came and did something then it got cold and the next summer they were gone. It cools, just not very well. The valve is Alco part no. AS250 G75843-1. The copper line on the top of the valve and is still going to the bulb. The line on the side is cut and so is the second line coming from the bulb. I only saw the one loose line on the suction line at the unit so it still seems something more is missing. I have a bigger version of the same until down stairs, I'd better go look at it, (but it works good). I think they did ok on the install but I guess the guy that came back out removed the valve. Why would he have done that???

Thanks for the help guys. Piston removed and new TXV is now installed and getting 18-20 deltaT. High pressure ~275 with looks about right according to the chart on the cover. Only problem is quite a bit of quiver on the gauge. We justed sucked it down with the compressor. Is the only way to solve the quiver to recover and replace the freon? How big of issue is it since it is working better than it ever has? but of course I want to take care of my equipment.

A big issue.

Moisture will kill the compressor.

Should recover, replace llfd, vac to 500 micron, and reharge with vitgin refrigerant.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

OK. Does it matter if the new dryer be installed at the TXV or compressor?

Better at the outdoor unit, then in a 140 attic.

Make sure they CUT out the old filter.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12