I bought a condo in Palm Springs last November. Summer temps have been getting up to 121 degrees. My >20 year old air conditioner will only cool to 79 degrees at the coolest part of the house. It is uncomfortably warm in other parts of the house. It passed the home inspection with a 16 degree differential intake/vent. I had my home warranty company send out a tech (twice), who added freon, fixed a leak, etc., and tested the system. Bottom line: the tech could not find anything wrong with it, but says it is not working as well because it is an older unit and worn out. My home warranty company won't replace it because they say it is not broken or "inoperative" (contract wording). I am getting a second opinion and will probably replace it, but I would like to fight the home warranty company over the definition of inoperative. They say that means it is not working at all. I say if it doesn't cool the house down to a comfortable temperature it is "inoperative". Are there any standards out there that state what a reasonable room temperature is for residences? Thanks.

Don't even bother. Home warranty companies rule systems in FAR worse shape than yours "operable" all the time..

79 when it is 121 out sounds awfully darn good to me and I like it cool

odds are, the unit is doing what it can. "worn out" is a pathetic line. unit's dont lose capacity over time that cannot be corrected. If the compressor were wore out, the unit wouldnt work at all. If the coil was wore out, the unit would leak, if the blower were wore out, you would have no airflow. If the guy who said your unit was wore out was wore out, then he'd probably make up something like the unit is wore out.

I seriously doubt the unit was sized to keep the house cooler than 79 when its 120 outside. I wouldnt complain about that. If you decide to change it and think bigger is better, then on the days it isnt 120, you will be uncomfortable.

Originally posted by nmp
    I bought a condo in Palm Springs last November. Summer temps have been getting up to 121 degrees.

Are there any standards out there that state what a reasonable room temperature is for residences? Thanks.
    Standard = 70's
    with 42%- 54% R.H.

Except when it's > 100'F out.
    then 80's
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

nmp,

You have a 41 degree difference. That's pretty good.

I suppose your condo association wouldn't allow a (supplemental) window air conditioner?

Because I used the HVAC Calc program to "size" my unit for energy savings/efficiency,
    my new 15 seer 2 ton Trane XL14i will only do a 29 degree difference. (102 outdoor and 73 indoor).
    I am very pleased with the low utilities & comfort.
    All Pro's will tell you, proper sizing and install is more important than equipment brand.

The all time record high in my area is 105. After I used the HVAC Calc program, the HVAC Talk Pro's
    said my unit is oversized only by 16% (as close to actual as possible) for 105 outdoor temp and 75 indoor.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=101939

73 is too cold for me, I had the thermostat set on 71 as a test for these hottest 2 days.
    I normally set it on 77 during the day, (71 at night inadequate airflow to bedroom for now -
    thick carpet in bedrooms/halls).

When you eventually decide to get a replacement system, maybe have a moderately oversized
    TWO STAGE air conditioner (or 2 stage heat pump). This way, you wouldn't have unecessarily
    high humidity or high utilities like an oversized 1 speed unit
    [this is what docholiday is cautioning about oversizing].

The 2 stage unit would probably be able to get around 72 indoor temp during the 120 degree outdoor???
    One of the HVAC Talk homeowner regulars like myself, Nina, has a Trane XL19i (2 stage).
    She said the low mode is 1.5 ton and the high mode is 4 tons.

That is what I would want in an area like yours with such high heat
    (a 2 stage with a big difference between low and high mode). Other brands may offer a similar option.
    Be sure and use the HVAC Calc to work with your HVAC contractors on the sizing.