Post Likes

Hvac installer pros and cons as a career.

Just joined a mechanical company and I am fairly excited. Don't know what to expect as far as installing since I want to learn service. Just want to know what you guys know about this area and what I should expect. Is it easy to advance in this trade or am I wishing on a star here.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Nothing in this trade is easy. Be prepared to be challenged every day / week / month.
    The industry is changing and evolving faster then the individual can keep up.
    If you like a challenge stick around

3. Likes martelh1984 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I really want to learn service but I'll stick with this so I can know both. But what kind of money do installers make because I'm starting at 15/hr. I think I did pretty well for a beginner with a few months knowledge.

Post Likes
    I would say make sure you do what you want to do, because if you start off as an installer, or a residential tech, you might be stuck in that position, youre work may not let you move out of that area of work.

Example, I have a friend that works for another company and he does residential, he wants to leave and go to commercial, but since he has no commercial experience he couldn't get the job. They wanted to hire him still residential only.

For me, I'm lucky I got into commercial service from the very beginning. I know people who work at my company who are stuck in installs/construction because thats where they started out, the company doesn't want to train him in a different area.

6. Likes martelh1984 liked this post
    Post Likes
    you're getting a fair wage for someone who has a basis but a lack of hands on work. IMO, starting as a service tech is better than install because you learn the WHYs of things first and then when you go to the install side you'll understand why certain things need to be done a certain way in order for 1- it to work right, and 2- for the service guy to have an easier job to access the blower, access the coils, etc.
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."

8. Likes martelh1984 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I made It clear to the owner I wanted to be a tech more than anything so hopefully he will keep his promise of training me in that department because they are lacking badly in that particular area.

Post Likes
    I would also recommend going commercial rather than residential, because if you do commercial, you still work on residential equipment as well as the commercial.

Example: A lot of commercial businesses have regular residential furnaces or split systems for their hvac needs.

So since I do commercial(I actually do both/ help with residential for my company) but if I only did commercial I still have experience with residential equipment, so if I wanted to apply at a residential company, I shouldn't have an issue because I have experience with the equipment still.

But if its the other way around, then you might be limited.

11. Likes martelh1984 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yeah it's a commercial hvac company. But they have a residential side but their not too crazy about residential.

Post Likes
    Pros of installer: Your hours are fixed or at least fairly predictable and if doing new construction your weekends are normally free.

Con of installer: Heavy lifting and drilling lots of holes in concrete. Slightly more seasonal so possible brief layoffs

Pros of service: Less heavy lifting and people fawning over your genius as you fix their problems. Women beg you to allow them the privilege of bearing your children. Can be mentally challenging troubleshooting different equipment and each day usually offers something new to play with.

Cons of service: Stressful as people always want their stuff fixed NOW. You and your talent or lack of it will be on display as people will always be watching you work and suggesting completely useless tips like adding freon they always want to add freon to everything. 24/7 on call, no fixed hours, your evenings and weekend will vanish and you might find your picture on a milk carton one day as your family and friends fear you may have been abducted and murdered.

14. Likes martelh1984 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Well my plan is to learn the hvac trade for the 4 years its gonna take me to get my contractor license here in Texas. I think that the installation part is really gonna come in handy when it comes to that particular area. But I do want to run service also because I want to own my own mechanical company, so I'm not trying to have my mind set on being a tech the rest of my life, but I do want to know enough where when I bid on contracts I can know what's going on also.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooty View Post
    Pros of installer: Your hours are fixed or at least fairly predictable and if doing new construction your weekends are normally free.

Con of installer: Heavy lifting and drilling lots of holes in concrete. Slightly more seasonal so possible brief layoffs

Pros of service: Less heavy lifting and people fawning over your genius as you fix their problems. Women beg you to allow them the privilege of bearing your children. Can be mentally challenging troubleshooting different equipment and each day usually offers something new to play with.

Cons of service: Stressful as people always want their stuff fixed NOW. You and your talent or lack of it will be on display as people will always be watching you work and suggesting completely useless tips like adding freon they always want to add freon to everything. 24/7 on call, no fixed hours, your evenings and weekend will vanish and you might find your picture on a milk carton one day as your family and friends fear you may have been abducted and murdered.
    Another con: getting caught when women bear your children, post sex videos of you, etc...
    Experience - knowing when to get the hell out of the way and plug your ears. "Don't be a sissy. Turn it on!"
    Poodle Head Mikey - "the world is well populated with the unknowing and the uncaring and the stupid."