Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: callbacks

callbacks

So i installed a new honeywell thermostat a few days ago on a service call with the homeowner breathing down my neck reading the schematics from the literature (like i even need them to know that green goes to g lol) and him asking me if i know what im doing and bird dogging me about having to pay me when it only took me 10 mins all in all to do it when he could have done it himself (i heard him mumbling they sell them in lowes ) anyways i get called back out for no heat and first thing i do is go to the thermostat....what do i find out....obvious tinkering from when i left it and a blown fuse to boot plus the common was unhooked but he didnt touch it and isn't paying me twice....call somebody else your fired....bored retired husbands can be our worst customers.

I hate tinkerers. You have been trained and do this every day but I still know more then you.
    I always finish an invoice with "checked operation of equipment, found no issues to report. Unit running properly when leaving site", then get a signature.

Define obvious tinkering? Wire could have been loose or the thin wire could have just broke. Those little cheap terminals can be temperamental. Customers can be annoying. Your call on firing him.

Well of course id like to but we know thats not how it works i straitend the wires back like i had them and replaced the fuse...when i wire a thermostat i like the wires to be neat and strait so it looks nice and when i went back they was all over the place cris crossing etc...which i know wasnt my work lol some customers have to find a fault in something everytime and this guy is one of those.

Customer is always right. You can't accuse him of any wrongdoing unless you want to lose him. I'd fix the problem and apologize for the inconvenience. If he did mess with it, regardless if it was curiosity or to get a rise out of you, kindness always wins.

I have no problem firing customers if they are too annoying, too cheap, too demanding, or my biggest peeve don't pay me right away. But I do try and give them a little slack and the benefit of the doubt or else I probably would end up firing them all.

Over the years I've fired a few, I've been fired by a couple, and have offered to whip a couple more. The problem with our customers is that for the most part, they're humans. And humans are a funny animal. "nuff said.
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Quote Originally Posted by jnewton View Post
    Well of course id like to but we know thats not how it works i straitend the wires back like i had them and replaced the fuse...when i wire a thermostat i like the wires to be neat and strait so it looks nice and when i went back they was all over the place cris crossing etc...which i know wasnt my work lol some customers have to find a fault in something everytime and this guy is one of those.
    Your smart phone is needed here. Take a picture of your wiring of the t'stat while he's watching. If the wiring doesn't look the same when he calls again, BILL HIM FOR BOTH CALLS!

I've made a habit of taking before and after pic's with my phone because of customers like this.

I hate rasicim. But have you guys noticed that some cultures are more penny hughers

What about putting a little sticker on the unit like they do with computers, so if they go into it they have to break the sticker to gain access. If you let them know it's there and if it's broken then the warranty is void on your labor.
    Last edited by Vinster; 11-04-2014 at 12:46 AM.

I will sometimes make the comment if its been a while since I did the work that it looks like some IDIOT was here working on this, Did you have someone else here doing work so I can make sure they didnt mess something else up. And a few times the wife has admitted her husband was working on it and some men have confessed they did it

Quote Originally Posted by Kraft Master View Post
    I've made a habit of taking before and after pic's with my phone because of customers like this.
    I do the same I take a picture of every call I get my techs to do the same EVery call just also in case you forget to write a ticket and your phone tells where you were !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast