Our New Portable Crane saved the day

Our New Portable Crane saved the day

I saw a flyer at RSD, and ended up ordering a Portable Crane from portablecrane.com. We used it on a five ton AC compressor a couple of weeks ago and it worked nice, but this weekend it proved itself. This weekend one of our best customers lost their Walk-In compressor. A heavy semi hermetic, on the upper roof. We used to use a truck crane for a lift like this, but being Memorial Day, we probably wouldn't have been able to get one anyway. But this little crane was great. We will not be roping up compressors anymore.Name:  Our new crane.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  46.3 KBName:  Lower Roof.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  48.5 KBName:  Upper Ladder.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  49.7 KB

memorial day me and a boy brought a 4 ton compressor up the steel ladder , me with it on my shoulder , and he was up top with a rope , that was NO fun

Nice will it work on small condensers?
    Trying not to be a Hack.

How is the crane secured?

It bolted to the building ladder. It's pretty secure.

My back is getting too old for the rope thing. It's not worth hurting my back to get a compr to the roof any more. A few bucks for a crane or back surgery. Hmmm. Let me think about that for a few.

Comments to Icefixer about the portable crane

Hey Icefixer, I thought I would share our experiences as well. I've only been in the trade a few months. When I started here my supervisor already had one of these portable cranes, but hadn't used it yet. We had a couple of AC comp failures left over from the winter, waiting for good weather. And then we lost a Walk In Freezer Scroll.

So we have used the crane 3 times in the last 2 weeks. When we did the scroll, the crane was back at the shop, and I questioned whether it would mount to this weird ladder made out of round pipe. So I volunteered to carry the compressor up an extension ladder on my shoulder, but the lead tech made me go back to the shop and get it. He said we weren't going to risk damaging a $1500 compressor. When I heard how much it cost, I was glad to go get the crane. And it mounted just fine.

I did get some good mounting suggestions on their website: portablecrane.com

Looking forward to my new career. Thanks all, for all the info on this site.

So, use a piece of board and a ladder with this. You could also build a small cross member under the top plate on the ladder to hook this onto.
    Supercooling and Subheating

Quote Originally Posted by ICanHas View Post
    So, use a piece of board and a ladder with this. You could also build a small cross member under the top plate on the ladder to hook this onto.

Use unistrut. It's stronger than any board.

Only hitch with this idea is that many guys don't keep enough rope on board and/or don't know how to properly coil it so that it doesn't tangle as soon as they start to pay it out.

What is the cost of that crane thingy?