Post Likes

Topics for technical meetings

I am one year in the field and started a new job with a supervisor who actually wants to help and teach. He has asked me to come up with topics i would like to go over in these meetings but i am stumped. We have gone over airflow and target pressures and SH/SC so those are out. Any suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Likes brownbz liked this post
    Post Likes
    Restrictions, the proper way refrigerant travels, what state it's in and why? You'd be surprised at what the "basics" can do for some people

4. Likes vondo145 liked this post
    Post Likes
    We would get boards and Tstat wire and wire up contractors to relays to terminal blocks, to make a light bulb turn on. Or do some tech wars and booby trap a unit and time them and observe how they approach a call

6. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes

Electrical! Motor theory, ohms law, how to use a meter for troubleshooting, ladder diagram reading (the real ones in the field, not the simplified classroom ones), using amp draw for troubleshooting, basic control circuits (as mentioned above)
    Make the electrical-related service calls the easy ones...

Also, some of these electrical things can be applied to the refrigerant/air flow concepts (such as using amp draw to determine load on compressors, fans, etc)

Post Likes
    Also "ditto" is how you spell it

9. Likes kdean1, Nuclrchiller liked this post
    Post Likes
    Because in a tech field one important ability is how to access information.
    What I did once is assign each tech with a subject and have them present it to the group. For instance motors, maintenance of different systems etc.
    This helped them find information and understand it well enough to teach what they learned.

When I briefly taught hvac I found classroom was the most difficult especially keeping people awake. Hands on was much more interesting to most.

People learn differently. For instance some might say"I understand what you mean" is a person the learns by thinking. Some will say"I hear what you mean" is one that learns by listening. One might say "I see what you mean" is an observer. And some will have to touch something to understand it.
    That's why a teacher needs to mix it up in their presentation to reach everyone.
    I should have played the g'tar on the MTV. MK

You can be anything you want......As long as you don't suck at it.

SMW Lu49