Post Likes

Truck Security Thread

Since there are so many threads and reports from those of you that have had your tools stolen from your service truck by lowlife bottom feeding scum that should be strapped onto active train tracks, I thought we should start a thread on ways to try and slow these idiot punks down. I know there's a new stolen tool post from just the other day, and a few weeks ago some guys stole one of our trucks over Easter weekend. What do you guys do to try and secure your trucks the best way possible?
    Things I do, are to request a truck with no back windows. If it does they get covered over with metal on the inside. The bulkhead door gets bolted shut. If I'm in a really questionable area, or the truck will be used for non-service related work or when I otherwise don't need to get in the back, the back doors get chained together from the inside, and the side doors get strapped to the bulkhead from the inside. The gps is buried in the dash where it cannot be easily accessed to disable it. I've also been considering a hidden kill switch that will not allow the truck to start unless its closed.
    What have you guys got?
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    I like the idea of that kill switch. I'm thinking a 30 second delay would be even better. You know, they start driving, then 30 seconds later it dies. Stuck in the middle of the road.

3. Likes VTP99 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I haven't quite had the time to sit down and figure out how exactly to wire it in, in a manner that would look stock and could not be quickly deciphered, but it would only be an inline switch in the ignition circuit.
    A friend of mine, actually had a ball valve mounted on the fuel line of his pickup on the inside of the frame rail. You'd get maybe 30 seconds idle time before it starved itself and stalled.
    “I haven’t failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

“It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.” - Vince Lombardi

Post Likes
    That reminds me, I had a friend that had a mustang II, must've been the late 70's, that did much the same thing. He put a solenoid in the fuel line. That was back in the day of the carburetor; the time delay effect wouldn't work with fuel injections these days.

Quote Originally Posted by rider77 View Post
    I haven't quite had the time to sit down and figure out how exactly to wire it in, in a manner that would look stock and could not be quickly deciphered, but it would only be an inline switch in the ignition circuit.
    A friend of mine, actually had a ball valve mounted on the fuel line of his pickup on the inside of the frame rail. You'd get maybe 30 seconds idle time before it starved itself and stalled.

Post Likes
    How about a plug your van in opption but for another reason
    Oh... I forgot, you would get sued !!!!!!

7. Likes BBeerme, Metalman0880 liked this post
    Post Likes
    I used to just have a 40 plus year old truck. No one ever tried to steal it.

Post Likes
    I use shallow unistut inside the doors on pucklocks like a huge fender washer, It'll help slow them down when they sledgehammer/peel/twist your pucklock frames off your van...

Post Likes
    Kill switch to Ignition is easy, also to starter circuit and fuel pump to name a few. Then put the switches in 3 different locations. After awhile the theif would have to give up. The best puck lock I have found is the Abloy protech 2 after long research. They have a cylindrical tumbler and no lock picker has been able to pick it. All of the above with a Viper 5901 alarm.