Post Likes

UNION QUESTIONS (SPECIFICALLY LOCAL 250)

What's up, I went in today to my local union (250) and applied at the ac/refrigeration division. The application handler got a copy of my trade school certificate & epa 608 universal and my official/sealed high school transcripts. I have some questions; considering my paperwork, does it put me at an advantage over the non-certified applicants? Also, I asked how things are and the union representative said things are really picking up and they are hiring at the moment. How long does it usually take to get hired when times are good? What will my starting pay be as a 1st year apprentice? Thanks guys, I look forward to hearing from you. Feel free to add as many info as you can.

Post Likes
    I know nothing about your local, but I do know how to use Google. It appears that Journeymen in UA #250 currently make 41.68 per hour, while 1st year apprentices make 45% of that. If my calculator skills are correct, that means about 18.75 per hour.

In my local (#539), they wont even consider you for their service program if you don't already have a diploma from a HVAC school, which usually includes the EPA certification. Therefore, I don't think that in itself gives you much of an advantage, other than the point that if you didn't have it, your application would probably get an instant one way trip into their circular file.

Also, at my local, and I believe most other UA locals, they only hire new apprentices during a short hiring window that only opens up once per year. It doesn't matter if times are good or bad, that's how it works. The thing that fluctuates is the amount of apprentices they take in.

Edit... I just double checked my work and it appears that I don't know how to use Google as much as I thought I did. The wages that I found were for Steamfitters/Pipefitters. A/C-Refrigeration techs may or may not be different. I don't know and I can't seem to find any wage info specific to service techs from your local. In my local we all get paid the same, but I know that in other locals across the country, the service guys sometimes get paid less.

Either way, good luck to you.
    Last edited by ammoniadog; 01-23-2015 at 10:41 PM.

Post Likes
    ammoniadog, thanks for the response. If I added a reference name of a established union contractor, does that increase my chances? I'm just a little worried because the receptionist said that the person who interviews and looks at the applications will be reviewing them the Monday following next week. Thing is next Friday is the last Friday (my local only accepts applications on Fridays from 8-11am.) the local accepts applications for the 2015 season. When I was there, I looked at the sign-up sheet and there was about two pages let alone today of new signers. Realistically, what are my chances? She said, the co-cordinator will be giving calls monday (I'm not exactly sure this Monday or the following one).

I'm making minimum wage at my current job so anything near 15 or plus is good news to me. Most importantly, I'm in it to learn the trade well. Obviously the salary and benefits are a bonus.
    Last edited by whatryou; 01-23-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: ..........

Post Likes
    You'd be better served if you hand that resume to all of the union contractors. Once they hire you, you will be "sponsored" into the apprenticeship.

Starting wages in my local is around $15/hr give or take a few cents.

Post Likes
    Generally, how long does it take to get hired?