Post Likes

HVAC newbie (Canada) - questions about training, demand, location

Hi all.

I'm 31 years old, and have been teaching in Korea ever since graduating with my BA eight years ago. It's been fun, but I really don't see it as a viable long-term career option, especially when it comes time to raise a family.

I'm hoping to go back to Canada and make a career change, and HVAC is something that has really piqued my interested. Unfortunately my experience in the trades is extremely limited (worked a couple years in the electrical department at Home Depot, so I have just a little knowledge in that field).

I have some time off over the next few months, so I'd like to use this time to do some self-study and familiarize myself with the field as much as possible before I look into pre-apprentice programs in Canada. Can anyone recommend a good way of doing this? Any books or web series worth looking at? Simply browsing through threads on this forum doesn't help much because I generally lack familiarity with the terminology and concepts.

Also: what's the demand really like these days? I read all these articles talking about how Canada is experiencing a major labor shortage in the trades, but then I read posts on here about HVAC techs who are struggling to find work.

Is there anywhere with a high demand for HVAC workers these days? I'd pretty much be willing to move anywhere between Victoria and Montreal, although ideally not anywhere too isolated.

Thanks in advance!

Post Likes
    Stay away from Ontario. The apprentice-journeyman ratio is way out of whack, making it hard to break into any trade.
    Go west, BC has lots of work, Saskatchewan isn't bad. We're slow in Alberta.
    Pre-apprenticeship programs *may* help you break into a trade, but they're a lot of money for small benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Likes lichtarbeiter liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks for your response, syndicated.

I'm originally from BC, so I have no problem moving there!

I guess my logic in taking a pre-apprenticeship program is just so that I can put at least some type of concrete HVAC qualification on my resume. Rather than "I spent the last 7 years working in a classroom and office, but read some books on refrigeration, so give me job please!"

I read in another post on here that JARTS (which is seemingly the go-to place for HVAC training in BC) has a 2-year wait list for its pre-app program.

So to hear that the pre-app program may not be necessary is encouraging. Anyway, I'll keep researching to try to determine a viable course of action!

Post Likes
    I'm told there's a school in Kelowna that has the same program.

I get what you're saying, just be aware that at the end of the day with that course, you'll still have no experience.
    Before you apply to the program, go have a chat with a few employers if you can to get a feel for what they look for. Maybe they're looking for a helper!
    This is a great trade, it pays well and never gets boring.
    Best of luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Likes lichtarbeiter liked this post