Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New A/C not cooling as well as old

A year ago a drunk driver took out my master bedroom, breaker box, and a/c unit. After much heartache the house has been put back together, but the new a/c unit is not cooling as well as I remember the old unit cooling, was in hotel 10 months but I'm pretty sure I remember it cooling better. 2 story house, 2600 sq ft, 900 sq ft upstairs. I don't know how to read the info on the side but the old one was model #24ABB461A300 and new is#CA16NA048-A. I have 4 places where air filters are placed but only 3 are drawing air, installer said the 4th was a secondary so did not need to pull a lot of air, but I remember always having to change the filter with the others now it has no air flow. It took 2 hours to go from 80 to 78 on a 95 day in Houston Tx, and it cycles for 45 minutes every hour to maintain, and getting below 77 has not been able to happen with the new system. Not sure what steps I should take to have someone new come look at it or am I just over reacting. Sorry this was so long.

Call the installer back. It's his job to make a new system perform properly.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by gbutler75 View Post
    A year ago a drunk driver took out my master bedroom, breaker box, and a/c unit.

After much heartache the house has been put back together, but the new a/c unit is not cooling as well as I remember the old unit cooling, was in hotel 10 months but I'm pretty sure I remember it cooling better. 2 story house, 2600 sq ft, 900 sq ft upstairs.

I don't know how to read the info on the side but the old one was model #24ABB461A300 and new is#CA16NA048-A.

I have 4 places where air filters are placed but only 3 are drawing air, installer said the 4th was a secondary so did not need to pull a lot of air, but I remember always having to change the filter with the others now it has no air flow.

It took 2 hours to go from 80 to 78 on a 95 day in Houston TX, and it cycles for 45 minutes every hour to maintain, and getting below 77 has not been able to happen with the new system. Not sure what steps I should take to have someone new come look at it or am I just over reacting.
    Looks like you have a 16-SEER 4-ton condenser.

With a large 4-Ton it could be very important that all 4 RA filter grilles draw airflow equally; a 4-Ton requires a lot of air flow.

Did they install a matching evaporator coil?

I am pretty sure they just used the evaporator coil that was already there, if that is possible. I say this because I don't see anything about an evaporator coil on invoice.

Quote Originally Posted by gbutler75 View Post
    I am pretty sure they just used the evaporator coil that was already there, if that is possible. I say this because I don't see anything about an evaporator coil on invoice.
    That would be a first for me.

What doest he invoice say?
    The opinions expressed by me are not that of my employer.

insulation modern marvels
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g37riSkyZzM

The invoice says "4 ton a/c condenser and 10 ft 7/8 copper line" My contractor is the one that dealt with all the work so I trusted more than I should have and it is turning out bad. I would contact contractor but he has turned out to be shady so I am trying to learn as much as I can with the help of all of you. Thank you all for the help given and any help that continues!

Why isn't the new C/U the same size as the old one?

Use the map as suggested and ask for a load Calc. Get a professional out to your house asap.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

24ABB461A300 = 5 ton unit

CA16NA048-A = 4 ton unit

Was a load calculation done to determine that a smaller unit was needed, and/or any improvements made to the home to reduce the heat gain?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I didn't even know they were a different size. I was told they were the same size but the new one would be better due to better seer rating. I will try to find someone from the contractor map because it seems like I have been taken advantage of. The house is most definitely not cooling down as quickly as before. Thanks for the help reading the model sizes!

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    24ABB461A300 = 5 ton unit

CA16NA048-A = 4 ton unit

Was a load calculation done to determine that a smaller unit was needed, and/or any improvements made to the home to reduce the heat gain?
    And the overall reputation of Residential HVAC takes another hit. Well that and a shady contractor.

And they pulled a Carrier and put in a budget Bryant.

I realize their made by the same folks but it is a decent amount cheaper than a Carrier. That GC must have been a piece of work.

You have no idea what a piece of work I am realizing the GC was. Learned a lesson that will turn out to be costly for me. But I'm just worried about getting someone good and trust worthy to have a look now. The closest person on the map is pretty far from me, but I'll make sure to do my research on the next person that comes out. Thanks again everyone for the help.

The smaller unit might be adequate, but the indoor blwoer speed might still be set for 5 tons, so it's not removing enough humidity and hte air temps otu of hte registers doesn't feel as cold.

IF, big if, 4 tosn is a proper size, a properly sized unit cannot recover fm a deep setback, os if you use a programmable thermostat and let the house warm up all afternoon, it willtake all evening to recover. Setbacks should be minimal, around 2-3F. The actual energy savings frmo AC unit or heat pumps using setbacks is not as much as pervisou assumed by the industry. WIth heat pumps, in winter they were oftne foudn to increase energy use. (maybe that's why utilities still like them so much) Energy star has mostly abandoned the push for using setbacks.

As a sidenote, I think there's still a lot of benefit with a 2 story home with a zone system or 2 systems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast