Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Appion g5 twin, what can it handle?

I just got a g5 and i was recovering r22 at a considerable rate. Anyway, of course the rate slowed down and i wanted to speed it back up so i ran the cOmpressor to build up some liquid. I did that (shut off the comp), then restarted the g5. It started shaking violently, i thought i might be killing it. Shut it off, closed the input, relieved the pressure restarted and everything was fine and finished recovering.

I thought the g5 could handle liquid. What did i do wrong?

You can but you have to meter it either with your gauges or the valve on the unit. Sounds like you slugged it with a huge amount of liquid This is going to sound pretty lame, but look at the owners manual....it has all the tricks of cooling the tank down, push/pull, etc. It tells you everything but packing your cylinder with ice.

Quote Originally Posted by wdshea View Post
    I just got a g5 and i was recovering r22 at a considerable rate. Anyway, of course the rate slowed down and i wanted to speed it back up so i ran the cOmpressor to build up some liquid. I did that (shut off the comp), then restarted the g5. It started shaking violently, i thought i might be killing it. Shut it off, closed the input, relieved the pressure restarted and everything was fine and finished recovering.

I thought the g5 could handle liquid. What did i do wrong?
    Your recovery tank pressure was too high. Cool the tank while recovering. Running water over it is usually sufficient.

My tank pressure was high, can you explain the physics to me? (i did read the manual) but i guess i dont understand the imPortance of a cool tank. I thought it was just to increase the speed, i didnt know it could affect the machine.

My tank pressure was high, can you explain the physics to me? (i did read the manual) but i guess i dont understand the imPortance of a cool tank. I thought it was just to increase the speed, i didnt know it could affect the machine.
    The pump has to do more work against the higher pressure differential. The motor only has so much hp. When the load exceeds the motor's capability it bogs down and can even stall. Hopefully it'll trip out on a safety before it's allowed to self destruct.

It didnt trip, i **** it off pretty quick. That makes sense about the work against the tank Pressure. Did i damage the machine?

Did you watch the youtube video?

I watched a youtube vid, didnt tell me much. Could you give me a link?

Sounds like you slugged the compressor. You're probably lucky it still works. I don't think the tank pressure had anything to do with it. That would have just made the thing trip on high pressure.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

I dont understand... It says it can Pump liquid

It can, for about 5sec. Then it will lock up, I have done it.

Don't believe everything you read about manufacturers claims.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

It can pump liquid. It was the high pressure that strained it. I pumped 50 lb of straight liquid, valves wide open, into a chiller the other day with my G5 twin. It never even grunted.

How the heck do people not know these things pump liquid?! If I recovered only gas it would take half a day to empty an average system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast