Thread: heil 5000 problems help

Post Likes
    i have a heil 5000 high efficency unit in my home and it keeps freezing up badly....i have had a 400 electric bill since it started. the problem i notice is that when the thermastat shuts the unit off inside the house the unit outside continues to run and freezes eventually. i have to manually shut the outside off by flipping the circuit breaker. what is causing this. if i know the problem i will fix it myself. someone please help me

Post Likes
    side note, im a single mom but im not mechanically retarded, if i knew what to look for i can fix it myself. i cant afford to call a service man and its like 100 degrees on a good day. any insight will be helpful. thanks

Post Likes
    "im a single mom but im not mechanically retarded"

To many items could cause this problem and most of them will be electrical/mechanical in nature. This line of work requires meters and other tools and the knowledge to use them that you probably do not have. Electricity is very dangerous to work with without proper training.

Do yourself and your children a favor and call in a repair person to take care of this situation with your A/C.

I would hate to see your children loose a parent because she did not know how to deal with electrical problems. I am not saying this to be smart but as a warning to you.

Post Likes
    Sorry, we're not allowed to give DIY advise and instructions on this board.

Post Likes
    Do yourself and your children a favor and call in a repair person to take care of this situation with your A/C.

well, in referance to the person that wrote that, i researched online what many of the problems could be and discovered it was my single pole contactor was not only burnt but stuck....thus causing my unit to freeze. with a simple flip of the breaker i was able to remove power to my unit and replace the contactor with a brand new one. my unit works fine and i guess my children are lucky to have a mom that doesnt waste money calling a repairman to fix a $30.00 problem while charging me $100's. thanks for your concern, but shame on you for implying as a mom it would be better for my kids to get ripped off by a repairman.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by hvac1000

To many items could cause this problem and most of them will be electrical/mechanical in nature. This line of work requires meters and other tools and the knowledge to use them that you probably do not have. Electricity is very dangerous to work with without proper training.

I would hate to see your children loose a parent because she did not know how to deal with electrical problems. I am not saying this to be smart but as a warning to you.
    by the way...it also only took a screwdriver to both unscrew it and ground out the wires after the unit was off. imagine that

Post Likes
    Originally posted by stonetwisted

by the way...it also only took a screwdriver to both unscrew it and ground out the wires after the unit was off. imagine that
    Glad your unit is runnig.

Its the ground out the wires comment that shows the dangers some HO's will put themselves in.

Post Likes

well, in referance to the person that wrote that, i researched online what many of the problems could be and discovered it was my single pole contactor was not only burnt but stuck....thus causing my unit to freeze. with a simple flip of the breaker i was able to remove power to my unit and replace the contactor with a brand new one. my unit works fine and i guess my children are lucky to have a mom that doesnt waste money calling a repairman to fix a $30.00 problem while charging me $100's. thanks for your concern, but shame on you for implying as a mom it would be better for my kids to get ripped off by a repairman.
    Congratulations on getting your air conditioner back to a working status. While you were able to replace the contactor and get it working, I would guess that you were not able to assess the rest of the system and see if there was anything else wrong. While it is possible that the contactor just failed, it is also very possible that there is something else wrong in the system that caused it to fail. A qualified tech would have been able to spot other potential problems.

You mentioned the high electric bills, so I am assuming that energy costs are something that you are concerned about. A system inspection and cleaning is highly recommended to make sure that the system you have is producing the cooling that you expect it to at as reasonable a rate as possible.

The above rambling is simply the thoughts of an HVAC contractor.
    "Customer Service" is not a department, it's an attitude!
    ???

Post Likes
    contactor probly stuck...

Post Likes
    Its the ground out the wires comment that shows the dangers some HO's will put themselves in.

once again.........trying to put down the homeowner. i happen to have expirence in electrical work.....so i guess not all ho are helpless and having to rely on a service repair man to try to overcharge them for simple repair.....i think it should be against the law for repairmen to charge such ridiculous amounts. they act like they are the only people in the world that can fix the problem.

Post Likes

We gotta make a living too

...i think it should be against the law for repairmen to charge such ridiculous amounts. they act like they are the only people in the world that can fix the problem.
    Now as a service tech, I have some descretion as to what I charge, but not much. That is decided by the higher-ups who have printed me a price book which I am largely bound by ('flat rate')...although I do stray from it in certain situations.
    Perhaps you are failing to take into consideration all the expenses of operating a business (overhead). Such as
    Liability insurance
    Health ins./benefits to the employees
    Wages to the employees
    Fuel costs
    Parts/equipment costs
    License/permit fees
    Training (tech classes ain't free)
    Building maintenance
    Fleet maintenance
    Unemployment/workers comp.
    etc etc etc
    Why would you ground out wires with a screwdriver?

Post Likes

once again.........trying to put down the homeowner. i happen to have expirence in electrical work.....
    Not a put down.

More then one electrician has been electrocuted.

Post Likes

I still stand by what I said to you. I am glad you got it fixed but I did not want to be held responsible if something would have happened to you. We have no idea who you are or what you know about electric and that was the reason for the answer that you got. Have a good day.

Post Likes
    Back for a 3rd day arguing this point? were being trolled

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in