Post Likes

can freon from my leaking condensor be re-used in new one being installed?

I have a Payne condensor (R-22) The tech put in dye and found a substantial leak. So I am replacing the condensor. It is a 3.5 ton unit and the tech said it would take 8 pounds of freon. I always thought the freon from the old condensor could be captured and re-used in the new condensor. Is this true or not? I was told by the tech they couldn't put the old freon in the new compressor.

Post Likes
    If they are going back with another r22 unit then It's up to the discretion of the tech or company policy. If he thinks it may be contaminated in any way it's cheap insurance to use virgin refrigerant. Some companies have a policy that they will not even chance it at all, due to the possibility of contaminants (air, moisture, debris, leak sealer, mixed refrigerant etc). They're are also many different r22 retrofit refrigerants that can be used that are a little less costly, they do have a few drawbacks though.

Post Likes
    If there is a substantial leak then when the refrigerant is recovered there is the chance of it pulling in air so now your refrigerant has air in in it. Now you charge that in your new piece of equipment introducing moisture into your brand new unit. Not a good plan at all.
    UA Proud
    The higher your post count the more you know

Post Likes
    Stop being a cheapskate and have fresh refrigerant installed with the new condenser.
    Those who restrain desire do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained. (William Blake)

Post Likes
    Legally it can be reused, Morally its not worth the risk. Were not chemists we cant tell moisture levels, contaminates, acids etc. You want it analyzed sweat for a few weeks until the report comes back.

R-22 is on its way out why even mess with it, Convert to an alternative refrigerant or change the system to R-410A and be done!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trey r View Post
    Stop being a cheapskate and have fresh refrigerant installed with the new condenser.
    I bet the serviceing contractor is going to wish he had never seen this job.

Post Likes
    Refrigerant is cheap compared to possibly introducing contaminants into the system and having to recover, pull vacuum, and recharge. I can understand trying to save a little money. I have a budget that I have to keep under for parts, outside contractors, etc here at the plant so I try to save money wherever I can. One thing that is priceless for me is peace of mind. I will pay extra if I can know that I have one less piece of equipment that I won't have to worry about for a bit.

Post Likes
    It's not feasible unless it's transferred directly from the old unit into the new unit, which is legal, but not really advisable. Tech likely does not have a fresh recovery cylinder to dedicate to you. If he consolidates it into his R22 recovery tank with other people's contents already in it, your R22 will mix in it, which makes it not legal to put back into your system. Any contamination (burn out acid, Envirosafe ES-22a, leak stop) from other people's system will infect your system.

It's illegal to use recovered refrigerant with one exception that's not really relevant for residential. The exemption is intended for in-house maintenance by hospitals, school districts, corporate campuses and such. So, if they recover 100s of pounds of R22 from cafeteria refrigeration equipment getting replaced, the district can choose to keep it for use at another campus and contamination stays within systems they own.