+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ball Valves

Post Likes

Ball Valves

I am being told that my low loss hoses now need ball valves on them to meet epa requirements.

Shrtct

Post Likes
    See this statement on here all too often. See below and form your own conlusions......

The Prohibition on Venting

Effective July 1, 1992, Section 608 of the Act prohibits individuals from intentionally venting ozone-depleting substances used as refrigerants (generally CFCs and HCFCs) into the atmosphere while maintaining, servicing, repairing, or disposing of air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment (appliances). Only four types of releases are permitted under the prohibition:

1."De minimis" quantities of refrigerant released in the course of making good faith attempts to recapture and recycle or safely dispose of refrigerant.

2.Refrigerants emitted in the course of normal operation of air-conditioning and refrigeration equipment (as opposed to during the maintenance, servicing, repair, or disposal of this equipment) such as from mechanical purging and leaks. However, EPA requires the repair of leaks above a certain size in large equipment (see Refrigerant Leaks).

3.Releases of CFCs or HCFCs that are not used as refrigerants. For instance, mixtures of nitrogen and R-22 that are used as holding charges or as leak test gases may be released.

4.Small releases of refrigerant that result from purging hoses or from connecting or disconnecting hoses to charge or service appliances will not be considered violations of the prohibition on venting. However, recovery and recycling equipment manufactured after November 15, 1993, must be equipped with low-loss fittings.

Exerpt from:

http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/...html#noventing

Post Likes
    The Yellow Jacket Quick Seal connectors are not recommended by Yellow Jacket for use on R-410a systems. One of my friends had one blow apart on R-410a and says he will never use them again.
    Aircraft Mechanical Accessories Technician. The Air Force changed the job title to Air Craft Environmental Systems Technician. But I've decided I'll always be a Mech Acc.

Post Likes
    I personally prefer the ball valves. I don't leave pressure on my digitals, so it's actually more convenient for me.

Post Likes
    As I read from 608... NO low loss fittings required on manifolds just on recovery/recycling equipment.
    The EPA realizes we are always going to have a little loss, they just want us to keep it to a reasonable minimum and to never just 'vent' for convience.

Rick

Post Likes
    I like the ball valves. I always seemed to tear up the oring on my low loss fittings. The other hoses freeze up my hand when unhooking the high side. I always release the pressure when I'm done charging. If you leave your gauges pressurized it will mess them up from what I've been told.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in