Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Word Help

Got it figured out.

1.) Make some changes to the original document.
    2.) Go to exit the program.
    3.) Select save changes.

When it comes up to this screen:

4.) Select "document template" as the type of file to save.
    5.) Then you will see "normal" in the window.
    6.) Click the drop down for the "save in".
    7.) Then follow the information to find the "normal" file on your HD. Ex: Desktop, C:, Documents & Settings, Your computer name, application data, microsoft, templates.

8.) Delete the "normal" file.

When you reopen word the page will be blank with the margins set to default. Then you can change/save the margins by selecting "page set-up" and setting the margins you prefer. Then click the "default" button and save the changes.

Close the program and reopen to a blank page that will have your new margins.

Thanks for the pointers everyone.

You will find the home Icon for Word(all access comes through it) at...

1. My Computer...
    2. _____(C [mine says Presario(C]...
    3. Documents and Settings...
    4. Owner...
    5. Applications Data... (if you can't find this icon you will have to expose the hidden files [Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Show Hidden Files And Folders], then hit apply and backout with oks)
    6. Microsoft
    7. Templates

Mine has a file called normal. This is the Word home icon everything else is a shortcut to this file. Open it up make the changes you want to make. Click Save As, but instead of trying to save it as a regular file, the lowest block in the Save As window says "Save As Type..." Save it as a Document Template instead. Give a real fancy name like... uhh... Doc1 or 2 or 3... Gah ahead, don't be shy.

Once saved it will appear beside your "Normal" Word icon in the Templates file... IF YOU REVERSE THOSE NAMES, (normal to doc1 and doc1 to normal) your new default template will be the one you just made... Don't erase the old normal yet, until you try to open the word file from your regular spot, Start or desktop shortcut icon. After you prove it works you can delete the old word template. You may now close up everything. Template files ARE read only.

Important: Don't forget to go back through Start, Control Panel, Folder Options, View, Do Not Show Hidden Files And Folders, and hit apply and backout with oks.

Lucky you to have me around, eh?
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Awww... You beat me...
    that sucks.

Originally posted by gruntly
    Awww... You beat me...
    that sucks.

Thanks for your trouble... others are having the same issues and I didn't tell them how to unhide their files (if they are hidden).

This also gives others a little different prospective to solve this issue.

No trouble at all, but help me with one thing if you will.

How do you get an open window on my computor to show on a thread like you did?

I know about imageshack and all that but can you copy a picture of an open window into my files?

Originally posted by gruntly
    How do you get an open window on my computor to show on a thread like you did?

I know about imageshack and all that but can you copy a picture of an open window into my files?
    1.) Hit your "print screen" (prt scr) button
    2.) Open up your "paint" program.
    3.) Paste screenshot "control V"
    4.) Select the text you want to display and "copy".
    5.) "File", "new" and don't save changes.
    6.) Paste the new contents "control V"
    7.) "File", "save as"... give it a name and select "jpeg" for the file type.
    8.) Select a folder where you wish to save the photo and save.

9.) Then follow my sig line link for picture posting.

Lucky you to have me around, eh?

print scr --- BS !!

copy scr * * * * *would be accurate

* * * * * * *why do they label that button "print scr"

O * * * * * * *I C

On DOS machines, the Print Scr key sent the screen display to the LPT port and out to the printer. On Windows based computers, this feature was replace by the capture and paste method. Some of the screens in WBAR have Print Screen buttons which will send the screen you are looking at to your printer. You can capture information from your screen by pressing the ALT key and the Print Screen (Prt Scr) keys at the same time. Windows "captures" the active window and places it into the Windows clipboard where you can then paste the image into any word processes, paint program, spreadsheet, etc. If you want to capture the entire screen, including other windows you may have open, press the Print Screen key by itself.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________

I still say it would have been easier just to put the install disk in and press "REPAIR".

I don' use Word; * *Word sux

------------------------------------------------------------
    * * * * * * * *Data goes INTO the Default button, not comes out from.
    * * * * * * * *U make settings changes and want to save them for tomorrow, U click Default.

simple, eh?

"Periodically, the United States Postal Service (USPS) changes the way it calculates postal bar codes. When this happens, bulk mail that uses the bar codes generated by Word may not be accepted by the USPS. To avoid providing bar codes that may become obsolete, Microsoft has removed this feature from Office Word 2007."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *( From Word 2007 Beta2 Help page )

[Edited by lk on 07-31-2006 at 08:01 AM]

"In general, the Postal Service recommends that, unless you are preparing a mailing for automation rates, you should NOT put barcodes on the mailpieces. As long as the mailing address is correct, your mail will still be processed efficiently without a barcodeand you wont need to worry about having the wrong barcode on your mail. A bad (incorrect) barcode is much worse than no barcode at all. A bad barcode can cause your mailpiece to travel to the wrong destination."
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast