+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with a Rheem, bet you can't figure it out

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    This guy has a real good view of the cond unit, his house is built into a hill. In the front it looks like a one story, in the back it looks like a two story (if that makes sense). But I've looked at it and you can see the fan very good.

But then again, at 2am I doubt theres enough light. Maybe I'll ask him how he can see the fan at night.

This system does cycle during the day. I've been there at least four times before 11 am and the thermostat was satisfied.
    Must be next to the beach where there are sand dunes half a block inland or so. Very few "hills" in Florida. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Maybe the TXV is flooding out the compressor.It's a rheem, correct?

Post Likes
    Straight cool system with electric heat is cooling and heating at the same time in the weee hours of the morning? Maybe exposed low voltage leads that get water on them at that particular time? Maybe morning dew. I dunno.. that's a weird one

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mortatort View Post
    Straight cool system with electric heat is cooling and heating at the same time in the weee hours of the morning? Maybe exposed low voltage leads that get water on them at that particular time? Maybe morning dew. I dunno.. that's a weird one
    I had one like this before. Customer (maintenace man)thought there was a time clock hidden somewhere in the ceiling that was turning on the unit at 10 am like clockwork everyday. I found a loose low voltage connection and haven't been back. I know the guy personally. So, i know it's fixed!! By the way it was a rheem package unit that used a wirenut without a threaded metal insert.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Is it an auto changeover stat
    It can be configured for that but it's not. The first t-stat wasn't either.

Post Likes
    Sounds like he needs a new low voltage wire. There is a device in the cond unit that was added. It's a black plastic box and a transformer. Forgot what it's called.
    It's used on systems that don't have enough conductors going out and this makes it work. I was told this by one of our guys. I've never used one, I've always found a way to get the right wire run. This thing has 20 wire nuts on the low voltage alone.

Post Likes
    yeah i just think its been operator error..sounds like the temp might just be dipping a lil lower than the tstat so the heats comin on to satisfy

Post Likes
    ...and I'm guessing the stat isn't set up for humidity control??

Post Likes
    It's set up as basic as it gets, he didn't even want the clock on the display.

It's not set up for auto changeover.
    It's not set up for humidity control.

Post Likes
    ... just an outside thought ...

Post Likes
    Do you have any data logging equipment? I would set up current sensing relays on the condensing unit and a temp sensor at one of the grills, the t-stat and the return. Than you would know if the thing is even running, calling.

Sounds like this guy might be losing his mind. Why always at 2am-5am? Who knows he could be sleep walking and touching his t-stat.

Post Likes
    When does the sprinkler run? If you have sprinkler system that is spraying right onto the coil it could cool it down enough to lower the head down to where there is little presure drop across the expansion device, then after the sprinkler shuts off and it dries out it starts to work agian. I ran into this once with a walking sprinkler.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Do you have any data logging equipment? I would set up current sensing relays on the condensing unit and a temp sensor at one of the grills, the t-stat and the return. Than you would know if the thing is even running, calling.

Sounds like this guy might be losing his mind. Why always at 2am-5am? Who knows he could be sleep walking and touching his t-stat.
    The cond unit has current sensing abilities on the comp and fan. I set a code on one by connecting a widowmaker on the line side to power a vacuum. The code read inconsistant line voltage. This guy hasn't had a code recently, the first time I went it did have a code 33, short cycling. It has a time delay built into the t-stat so I can't see him causing that. Unless he was playing with the float switch.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kls-ccc View Post
    When does the sprinkler run? If you have sprinkler system that is spraying right onto the coil it could cool it down enough to lower th ehead downot where thereis little presure drop across the expansion device, then after the sprinkler shuts off andit fries out it strats to work agian. I ran into this once with a walking sprinkler.
    Good point. I'll check to see if he has one.

Post Likes

Question

Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    Sounds like he needs a new low voltage wire. There is a device in the cond unit that was added. It's a black plastic box and a transformer. Forgot what it's called.
    It's used on systems that don't have enough conductors going out and this makes it work. I was told this by one of our guys. I've never used one, I've always found a way to get the right wire run. This thing has 20 wire nuts on the low voltage alone.
    So its not a heatpump, but you have 20 wire nuts for low voltage? Thats a new one on me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by millertime77 View Post
    So its not a heatpump, but you have 20 wire nuts for low voltage? Thats a new one on me.
    Thats new to you?
    Ok I'll admit I didn't count them. It's a four wire cond unit, theres a splice in the line chase, thats eight. Following me so far?

Then you've got the four from outside at the a/h and five from the thermostat, and one for the float switch.

That should be 14 at least, in theory, but I didn't count them.

My guess off the top of my head was six off.

What don't you get about that?

Work in this trade a few more years, you're going to find odd stuff thats not correct but works. Someday situations like this will no longer be NEW to you.

Post Likes
    Ok I read your 'about me' 1st year hvac apprentice at on-line school called hvac/redu.net
    That explains that.

Post Likes
    Has an energy saving outdoor tstat thats not wired right. Its connected to the fan, thats why the condensor stays running. LOL
    I'll be there when I get there and not a minute later

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BURL-REF View Post
    Has an energy saving outdoor tstat thats not wired right. Its connected to the fan, thats why the condensor stays running. LOL
    Yea, that and the paint color is wrong, doesn't match the house.

Post Likes
    Didnt mean to sound offensive. With float switch in pan and condensate pump float switch you are looking at 3 wire nuts, 24 volts hot from transformer to one side of switch(1),other side of that switch to second switch(2), through second switch to t-stat(3), then all you got is compressor(4), heat(5),fan(6), and common(7), so depending on whatever else you have going on it shouldn't be much more than that. Even with the fact that older people are more sensitive to temperature swings, it is still hard to imagine that someone is noticing a difference early in the morning, summertime, when the temp difference between inside and outside is minimal. He says the air feels warm at this time. There is no way the t-stat will let you make a w and y signal at the sametime, so I would think you can rule out the compressor and electric heat running at the same time. It sounds to me like the stat is satisfying and fan relay is sticking or he has fan setting to on. Only been doing service work for short period of time but these kind of problems are the worst to try and deal with because you obviously can't be there to witness the situation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in