Problem with a Rheem, bet you can't figure it out - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Swap thermostats and see what happens. Just use a basic one. I would also throw the breaker on your electric heat. Won't need it till January if then if it is Daytona or further South. Also JP and others he did say "electric heat". This is Florida. South of Jacksonville they don't use that many heat pumps. Just air handlers with electric heat. Hey and if they have a HP they normally wouldn't have a heat strip to back up the HP which is rarely used. That's all folks. LOL. Thank you very much
    Last edited by glennac; 06-22-2012 at 08:58 PM.
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I was thinking rev valve as well.

Possibly hanging up intermittently
    Well on rheem its piped energized in heat. So something would have to trigger it. Defrost board shouldn't as it opens Rev valve circuit. And should stop fan.

I too have a problematic unit I need to go back to. It is a trane rather. I do think mine energized w2 stopped cond fan and felt it needed to defrost in cool.

I would rule out the rev valve seeing as its not a heat pump. Disconnect the W1 from the air handler or turn off the breaker for the electric heat.

It's not a heat pump.
    I did think of the heat coming on, last time I was there I did think about going right to the source with the heat and taking the high voltage wires off.

The first time I was there I replaced the thermostat because the LED didn't light properly and it was under warranty.

I did talk to the guy recently, he said he keeps it at 76 during the day and turns it up to 78 at night (quite the opposite of what most people do), this might be a heat gain issue, as in it hits 78 between 2am and 5 am. I told him to leave it at 76 tonight.

The system has to be working right, he has a ton of eastern exposure so when the sun rises, around 6am, when he says it starts to work again, well I don't know. The cond unit takes a direct hit from the morning sun, right when he says it starts working.
    He has just about no western exposure so I'm guessing the house is out of the sun by 5 pm or 6pm.

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er View Post
    Sounds like an old man with blood circulation problems.
    This is why I mentioned he's old. Years ago I was getting repeat calls like this. It would get hot at night, the guy told the office to not send me out anymore, two days later he died in his sleep.

About 10 years ago I ran across a similar problem. Elderly woman complained her a/c would blow warm air. 2 visits and found nothing wrong, other than a slightly dirty condenser coil. 3rd call and I sat her down and had her explain to me EVERYTHING!. She neglected to tell me this would happen only at night and the outdoor unit she claimed was running. She lived in a manufactured home. Heat load was enough that the unit ran all day. At night the heat load would drop and the unit would cycle. What she thought was the c/u running was only the compressor (until it tripped on thermals). After cycling the cond fan motor countless times the problem showed up. A "dead spot" in the windings. It ran fine all day because it never cyled off. At night when it cycled the fan would occasionally stop in the wrong place and then lock up. As the early morning hours roled around the call for cooling would drop and the fan would free wheel a bit and fire back up in the daytime. She was also setting her t'stat higher at night. So it proved to be a bad cond fan motor

This guy has a real good view of the cond unit, his house is built into a hill. In the front it looks like a one story, in the back it looks like a two story (if that makes sense). But I've looked at it and you can see the fan very good.

But then again, at 2am I doubt theres enough light. Maybe I'll ask him how he can see the fan at night.

This system does cycle during the day. I've been there at least four times before 11 am and the thermostat was satisfied.

Is it an auto changeover stat

Quote Originally Posted by truck12 View Post
    This guy has a real good view of the cond unit, his house is built into a hill. In the front it looks like a one story, in the back it looks like a two story (if that makes sense). But I've looked at it and you can see the fan very good.

But then again, at 2am I doubt theres enough light. Maybe I'll ask him how he can see the fan at night.

This system does cycle during the day. I've been there at least four times before 11 am and the thermostat was satisfied.
    Must be next to the beach where there are sand dunes half a block inland or so. Very few "hills" in Florida. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Maybe the TXV is flooding out the compressor.It's a rheem, correct?

Straight cool system with electric heat is cooling and heating at the same time in the weee hours of the morning? Maybe exposed low voltage leads that get water on them at that particular time? Maybe morning dew. I dunno.. that's a weird one

Quote Originally Posted by mortatort View Post
    Straight cool system with electric heat is cooling and heating at the same time in the weee hours of the morning? Maybe exposed low voltage leads that get water on them at that particular time? Maybe morning dew. I dunno.. that's a weird one
    I had one like this before. Customer (maintenace man)thought there was a time clock hidden somewhere in the ceiling that was turning on the unit at 10 am like clockwork everyday. I found a loose low voltage connection and haven't been back. I know the guy personally. So, i know it's fixed!! By the way it was a rheem package unit that used a wirenut without a threaded metal insert.

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Is it an auto changeover stat
    It can be configured for that but it's not. The first t-stat wasn't either.

Sounds like he needs a new low voltage wire. There is a device in the cond unit that was added. It's a black plastic box and a transformer. Forgot what it's called.
    It's used on systems that don't have enough conductors going out and this makes it work. I was told this by one of our guys. I've never used one, I've always found a way to get the right wire run. This thing has 20 wire nuts on the low voltage alone.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast