+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nordyne Package Heat Pump Diagram

Post Likes

Nordyne Package Heat Pump Diagram

GQ4SC-060K
    GQF051007954

Diagram on panel is not legible. Trying to figure out if the solenoid valve on the liquid line is stock. I cant for the life of me see its purpose. I should have taken a pic but ill do my best to explain in words, something I lack greatly in.

The distributor tubes come out of the condenser and into the distributor head and then screws on to the liquid line(i have a 10deg temp drop across this assembly which Im pretty sure I shouldnt have) which goes into the evaporator distributor assembly. The solenoid is not in-line on that liquid line. How do I word this.....ok...say you installed two T's in a liquid line about 6 inches apart. Into these two T's they have piped in the solenoid valve. It looks like a "U" with a solenoid valve in the bottom of the "U". If it was to close it would do nothing. If it was open it would do nothing. I should mention that between the two T's is about a 2 inch "coupler". The "coupler" looks stock as if it may have a screen or something in it??

The unit is a mess. Looked like a low charge then I found the temp drop. Switched it to heat and looks ok, toggled back to cool and it tried to run into a vacuum. The wiring has been hacked and it has a new compressor that was hacked in. Not even a filter drier in this thing. The refrigerant doesnt stink and the oil tests free of acid or Id be walking away. I plan to recover, blow it out, open both distributor assemblies, check for clogged screens, install filter drier, rewire, and see how it goes.

Sry this got so long. Couple questions id really like help on.
    WTH is the solenoid valve for?
    Is there any type of 3/8 valve i could install on each side of the filter drier so I could do multiple drier changes without pulling the charge?
    Would you guys even mess with this unit? Its a very young couple with a new baby. Hes going to have to get a loan for me to do the repairs.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    I think, this is the wiring diagram for the unit.

http://www.nordyne.com/Literature/710341a.pdf

Post Likes
    Solenoid is SEER boost. Some did this instead of non bleed TXVs. It is hooked to T2 and common just like the contactor. Energize the contactor and LLS together.

Post Likes
    How does it boost the seer? Im not seeing how it can stop any migration of refrigerant?

Post Likes
    Sounds like solenoid is stuck and or possible screen is clogged some kind of ll restriction if it's pumping down. Don't see how it would boost seer though but a lot of times I don't know what in the world the manufacture engineers are thinking

Post Likes
    yea ive diagnosed the issue just cant figure why the llsv is there. its not bypassing anything and not keeping the system from bleeding like a non bleed txv. even closed the reefer would just take the unrestricted path.

Post Likes
    It should stop refrigerant flow during the off cycle so the comp starts up with full head, like with a non bleed TXV. Carrier used them on the early 38TR and BDP 597s.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    It should stop refrigerant flow during the off cycle so the comp starts up with full head, like with a non bleed TXV. Carrier used them on the early 38TR and BDP 597s.
    Ill post a pic tomorrow. Its installed like a U on the liquid line. There is nothing in the bypassed part of the liq line that would allow the valve to keep liq migration from happening, unless theres a tiny check valve in that 6 inch section of bypassed liq line. It is stock as I can see in the wiring diagram posted.

Post Likes
    Im sure it does have a check valve. I misunderstood the bypass part in your description. If there is no check valve there would be no reason for it

Post Likes
    We put in a wall mount Nordyne AH. Was supposed to tie a yellow wire to our yellow from the AH & stat. It was tucked in, didn't see it. Wondered why we pumped down when we fired the A/C. The LLS was hidden from view too, tucked in a little compartment.

Post Likes
    Ill see when I pull it apart. Never seen a check valve in a 3/8 coupling size section of copper.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in