Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bryant Evolution or Carrier Infinity

Hi everyone,

I have had a couple of quotes for replacing my a/c and furnace. I am considering Carrie infinity or Bryant Evolution. The contractor for Bryant insists the Evolution model is same as the Infinity model and they are both from same factory so why pay more. They are both 2 stage cool/heat carrying the same warranty. I somehow think the Infinity model is superior, but may be it is just me. Am I right? Here are the model numbers:

Carrier infinity 2 Ton unit:
    24ANB724 condenser 16 seer
    58CVA070 Furnace 80% afue
    CNPVP2414 Evap. coil
    Infinity Control unit

Bryant Evolution 2 Ton unit:
    187BNA024000 condenser 16 seer
    315AAV036070 furnace 80% afue
    Matching coil - no part number here
    Bryant Evolution control unit

Appreciate help in deciding on the model.

They are the same exact unit same warranty same compressor same furnace differt name tag who ever is going to do the best work

I think they may paint them a different color too. So pick the one that best coordinates the exterior of your home. j/k

Figure out which is the most knowledgeable company in regards to equipment sizing (doing load calculations if at all possible) ductwork sizing and distribution and so on.

I just have a Infinity system installed in my home upstairs. All I can say is wow. First time I've had a properly sized unit in a house I've owned. Spot-on humidity control and Its virtually silent. YRMV depending on ductwork sizing and layout.

Quote Originally Posted by samrt View Post
    The contractor for Bryant insists the Evolution model is same as the Infinity model and they are both from same factory so why pay more. .
    I am a Bryant dealer and would NEVER tell you "why pay more" for the same stuff.

The Equipment is Identical, the installation trumps the brand. Which contractor do you feel will integrate the system into your house using the best materials and attention to detail? (it's usually not the guy that says I am cheaper use me!)
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

Thanks for the replies.

Both systems quoted are from factory authorized dealers. I trust the Bryant dealer as far as installation quality since they have installed exact model in a couple of homes in the neighborhood and come recommended. They also have been in business much longer. I prefer the Carrier Infinity but the Bryant dealer does not participate in the Carrier rebate program. As such, I am inclined to go with the Bryant Evolution (if they are realy the same quality) which has almost the same rebate as Carrier. Net price difference is roughly 5% in favor of Bryant Evolution (lower).

I'm not aware of any difference between the units other than maybe color and badges.

I just had the Bryant evolution installed in the attic of my home. Load caliberation was performed and the dealer recommended a 2 ton unit (same as what is was replacing).

The installer set the themostat on 74, but it is still showing indoor temp at 80 after 5 hours (started at 81) of contineous working. Outside temp is currently 93. I cannot feel the flow of air from registers with the same intensity as the 16 year old unit it replaced was producing. It has reduced the humidity though somewhat. When I asked why the unit is so slow in reducing the temperature, I was told this is because of the way the 2 stage unit works. Just leave it as is for 24-48 hours and the unit will maintain the temperature once it reaches 74.

I feel there could be some problem with the install. Question is, is this slow pace of cooling normal for these two stage units? I know that the condensor is working at the high stage because of the outside temperature (set manually to kick in above 90) and that makes me wonder how the low stage will be like.

Carrier and especially their Infinity systems run at a much lower airflow and much colder air. With a hot attic installation, you might want the airflow set to High in the dehumidification settings.

Whre do you live. 93 may be above you design tmperatuer and hte systme may only be able ot cool to abotu 76-77F in that temperature. IF it's at max load, it may take most of the evening to catch up. Although I would have expected it to get a litlte further ahead by now.

It will go to high stage on it's own if there a high enough demad for cooling. IT should be on high now. It's not temprature dependant.

Post back tommorrow and let us know how it's doing.

I'm still loving my system.

Thanks motoguy128. I gave it a week or so to see how it would evolve.

I live in the east coast and the weather has been in the high 90s. It has cooled down some during the past couple of days however.

The control unit is programmed to cool to 72, but I have never seen it drop below 76 (even at night with outside temp at 80) even after working non-stop for 17-18 hours. The fact is although I sense the airflow is not that strong, it is much colder as you mention and the air quality is very comfortable even when the control unit is showing inside temp of 79. In fact, it gets so cold around 77 that would make us sneeze and I have to raise and 'hold' it back to 79. I am not sure but could it be the lack of humidity (dehumdify function is set to 'off' I noticed but I know it still does dehumidify) that makes it feel good at 79 or is it that the control unit is defective and inside temp is really lower than 79? I guess I can get a thermometer one of these days and test it.

I know in order to get the same comfort level in the living room area where I have a different but much older R22 unit working, I would need to set its thermostat at around 73-74. But it does get there and gets there quite fast even in extreme heat unlike the Bryant model.

I live in the east coast and the weather has been in the high 90s. It has cooled down some during the past couple of days however.

The control unit is programmed to cool to 72, but I have never seen it drop below 76 (even at night with outside temp at 80) even after working non-stop for 17-18 hours. The fact is although I sense the airflow is not that strong, it is much colder as you mention and the air quality is very comfortable even when the control unit is showing inside temp of 79. In fact, it gets so cold around 77 that would make us sneeze and I have to raise and 'hold' it back to 79. I am not sure but could it be the lack of humidity (dehumdify function is set to 'off' I noticed but I know it still does dehumidify) that makes it feel good at 79 or is it that the control unit is defective and inside temp is really lower than 79? I guess I can get a thermometer one of these days and test it.

I know in order to get the same comfort level in the living room area where I have a different but much older R22 unit working, I would need to set its thermostat at around 73-74. But it does get there and gets there quite fast even in extreme heat unlike the Bryant model.

Call your installing dealer back and have them check the system and give you the technical data that is required to determine if system is performing as the manufacturer has designed it. Refrigerant pressures,temperatures, voltage amperage etc. The most important is the airflow in cfm

Probably should have the control set to economy, instead of comfort.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

I found mine was reading 2F higher than my Oregon Scientific temp and humidity sensor so I offset it by that amount as well as down by 1% RH to match.

Your could be the same.

You may have a very hot attic, so it's holding a ton of heat overnight and affecting system capacity since it's located up there. Even my sealed attic stays warm into the evening. Hot shingles and roof sheathing holds a lot of heat.

You deisng tmeprature may be around 88F on the coastal northeast so even at 80F, it's going to take some time to cool it down, but as you've noticed, long run times really even out temperatures and remove humidity.

In comparison, you downstairs unit is clearly oversized, since it is satisfied so easily.

For what it's worth, I took a reading on my electric meter and compared it to the number on my bill 10 days earlier. I was pleasantly suprised at how much lower my consumption was. Far lower than expected with the hot weather. Nearly 1/2 what my bill was last year. It may show just how inefficient my old unit was since it short cycled all night trying to maintain humidity levels.

It sounds as if it's keeping your home comfortable at 79 degrees. Your complaint is it will not bring your temperature down to 72 degrees.

Many of the assumptions that people make about AC systems and comfort were formed with lower efficiency systems.

The higher efficiency systems decrease utility bills by being highly optimised for efficiency. In car terms think of the Prius Hybrid vs a Mustang with a V8. Both will get you there and operate at the same speed limit. The Mustang will get you there faster and consume more energy during operation.
    The Prius will get you up to speed and will take more time to get there using less energy.

You have purchased a high efficiency AC unit. It uses much less energy to keep your home comfortable. It will not bring the temperature down as quickly as a less efficient system. It will run at low speed to maintain temperatures at set point. It will run longer and seem to never shut off. That's the way it was designed to work. You total power bill will be lower for cooling. Its longer run times removes humidity and mixes the air better thus you can operate the system at a higher temperature setting and still be comfortable.

I'd ask your installing company to document the pressures, superheat and subcooling, The return air temperature and the supply air temperature at the equipment and at the supply and return grills. Document if the furnace blower speed is set for Efficiency or Comfort at the wall control unit (thermostat).

BTW, I suggest getting the 10 year parts and labor warranty that many dealers offer.
    The more complex a system is the higher the chance of failure of components. The Evolution/Infinity system is very complex and the control boards can be expensive to replace.

I love the Evolution/Infinity systems. I find them a joy to work with.
    I am for doing good to the poor, but...I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. I observed...that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.
    ― Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast