Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stay gold jonny View Post
    LOL! Yeah must have been made in China!
    The main problem was that after some use the calibration went far enough out that the calibration screw was unable to zero them anymore. Other than that they were fine. The case is ABS impact resistant plastic, very stout. The technology is actually impressive, the delivery apparently not. The bourdon tube forms half of a parallel plate capacitor. As it flexes under pressure the capacitance changes, and that change in capacitance is converted into a change in pressure on the display. But they're useless when the accuracy isn't there. If not for that I'd still be using them.

Why do you favor the sman3 if you dont mind me asking? I was looking into those and I like the durability, not sure if I would use it for evacuation, so I could probably go with the sman2.
    You too can be " deaded in 3 weeks " . As well as another 2 weeks figuring out where to ship it for repair. I'd rather complain a little and fix it myself.

I'm starting to think that sticking with analogs is a good idea and just make sure they are calibrated. I certainly dont want to spend hundreds of $$$ on stuff that can breakdown!

Why do you favor the sman3 if you dont mind me asking? I was looking into those and I like the durability, not sure if I would use it for evacuation, so I could probably go with the sman2.
    The SMAN 3 is self explanatory in its operation, for one thing. And it just feels natural in your hands.

Fastest response in line temp/press changes I have ever recorded. I was monitoring a hunting TXV the other day and at first I thought I had a moisture restriction, cause the temp/press was changing so fast, until I remembered the MD was a TXV.

The temp clamp lines are longer than an other brand which is great.

The display is monstrous and easy to read (great for us old farts).

And it's a Fieldpiece ...I had a few minor issues with my first SMAN 3 but they sent me a new one twice, and they covered overnight delivery both ways. I never lost a beat in my work schedule.

This thing can take a beating, although I treat it like a lab instrument and I have a hard case that I store it in with the hoses still on .

It's just a great manifold to own.

My Testo 557 is also great but I now seldom use it since i have gotten acclimated to the SMAN.

Hope this helps.

Thats funny lover! Any problems with the sensors on the Digi-cool?
    They call me Clover, Gold Johnny.

Quote Originally Posted by tech45 View Post
    You too can be " deaded in 3 weeks " . As well as another 2 weeks figuring out where to ship it for repair. I'd rather complain a little and fix it myself.
    Tech45, what are you complaining for? The Fieldpiece address is right on the back of your SMAN 3 and there is a 800 number too.

You want Fieldpiece to read your mind or something?
    C'mon.....

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    They call me Clover, Gold Johnny.
    Sorry bout that Clover! Thanks for the great info on the sman3, you sound very happy with it. I love tools but absolutely hate trying to buy something new!

Just hang around awhile , buy a YJ 41 with 3 color hoses to perform your work , watch and listen ( use search to read some old posts ).

There aren't many " fanbois " here ( as some have projected ) , rather some " diehard " older techs that have understood the benefits of some tools having features that they do ( or having been made aware ). You be the judge , but check the older posts to see why we are where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by hvaclover View Post
    Tech45, what are you complaining for? The Fieldpiece address is right on the back of your SMAN 3 and there is a 800 number too.

You want Fieldpiece to read your mind or something?
    C'mon.....
    I am a fan of old Harleys and Mopars , I'm used to working on stuff , lol. No one works on Fieldpiece here ( that I can recall ). I spoke on that one just to hear myself , I admit. Perhaps a reference to my " deaded " tools collection ( no Fieldpiece in that though ). I really just wanted to type " deaded " ...truth , lol.

I'm starting to think that sticking with analogs is a good idea and just make sure they are calibrated. I certainly dont want to spend hundreds of $$$ on stuff that can breakdown!
    You will be making a mistake. Digitals are much more accurate than analogs. They do the measurements quicker than you can manually.

Don't be afraid of them...call Fieldpiece or Testo sales dept and talk to a sales rep.

You will be surprised at what your missing.

Just hang around awhile , buy a YJ 41 with 3 color hoses to perform your work , watch and listen ( use search to read some old posts ).

There aren't many " fanbois " here ( as some have projected ) , rather some " diehard " older techs that have understood the benefits of some tools having features that they do ( or having been made aware ). You be the judge , but check the older posts to see why we are where we are.
    I've been snooping some of the older posts, lots of good stuff there.
    Thanks to everyone who has posted so far, it's all very helpful!

I am a fan of old Harleys and Mopars , I'm used to working on stuff , lol. No one works on Fieldpiece here ( that I can recall ). I spoke on that one just to hear myself , I admit. Perhaps a reference to my " deaded " tools collection ( no Fieldpiece in that though ). I really just wanted to type " deaded " ...truth , lol.
    Of course they don't repair locally. They keep a tight reign on quality by doing it themselves.

Testo is the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    The main problem was that after some use the calibration went far enough out that the calibration screw was unable to zero them anymore. Other than that they were fine. The case is ABS impact resistant plastic, very stout. The technology is actually impressive, the delivery apparently not. The bourdon tube forms half of a parallel plate capacitor. As it flexes under pressure the capacitance changes, and that change in capacitance is converted into a change in pressure on the display. But they're useless when the accuracy isn't there. If not for that I'd still be using them.
    Dito. Bought one set and replaced them under warranty 4 times in a year. Put the money towards a good digital set instead of buying the solar.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast