+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: air quality issue..high particles...high carbon dioxide...high humidity

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by robotman2009 View Post
    Humidity went back up to 57% today....whats funny is i left the system off yesterday while sealing up the return from the inside. The house stayed at 55% with the system off! Then once i cranked the sytem up around 3...the humidity came down to around 51%. But i left it on today and the humidity gradually came up to 57%. Btw the temps have been. 100+ on the days it came up to 57%. On another day it came up to 57% but it was atadbit cooler. Out of money for the time being... This is new house hell!
    This is about getting enough fresh air to purge the indoor pollutants and maintaining <50%RH. Wether the %RH is 50%RH of 55%RH is not the difference. Its about fresh filtered air and avoiding indoor pollution.
    Mold, dust mites and other indoor pollutants need low %RH and steady fresh air ventilation.
    A good whole house ventialting dehumdifier with a merv 14 air filtering system is a good start. Ultra-Aire 105 H with the optional merv 14 air filter is a start. Even with the best of equipment, expect to take time to turn the space around.
    Regards TB
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Post Likes
    I think it is time to save up for ultra aire 70h.

Post Likes
    I had the extra return removed...the house was ok for a while with a portabke dehumidifer. But when we hit heat pump mode weather, i have ver seriously bad breathing issues, going to the neurologist, there is a smell, my son is constantly sick, i cant begin to tell u hiw much i hate the ac industry for failing the public in this area so horribly right now

Post Likes
    Btw humidity ist 47 to 50 percent right now. Just not sure what it is inside the air handler....probably not good sine heat pumps suck in that regard.

Post Likes
    In the marines we called this type of a situation something that i cant say on this forum

Post Likes
    Here is a link to something i found

http://www.achrnews.com/articles/a-n...-sock-syndrome

Post Likes
    I have came across this problem several times in my business. We have cleaned the evap coil,installed charcoal filters,and added more returns. Nothing has helped my customers except to replace the unit.

For a customer to have problems with the smell and then replace the unit and that fixes it long term tells me the problem is not in the ductwork. I have seen this problem on Amana and Goodman package units only.

Next time I encounter this problem again, I am going to recommend sending the coils off to get coated.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by robotman2009 View Post
    I had the extra return removed...the house was ok for a while with a portabke dehumidifer. But when we hit heat pump mode weather, i have ver seriously bad breathing issues, going to the neurologist, there is a smell, my son is constantly sick, i cant begin to tell u hiw much i hate the ac industry for failing the public in this area so horribly right now
    don't hate the industry, there is a large miscommunication gap between house problems & hvac problems.
    foam insulation companies etc.

while saving for dehumidifier, invest in an energy rating.
    test house, duct system, plenum connections,
    return air(s) and seal these leakage sites.

caulk is a good inexpensive sealant for house, mastic for
    ducts/returns. air is stupid...it doesn't follow a logical pathway.

if the supply boxes aren't sealed, the other side of where supply grill attaches, then the
    insulation around it enters the house.
    as would large gaps around bath vent fans hidden by cover, and recessed lights
    that are IC and not ICAT (Insulation Contact Air Tight)
    these openings contribute to your child being sick, esp if you
    have cellulose. cellulose contains a fine dust comprised of ground newspaper treated with
    borate.

duct & house leakage sealing has a fast payback & inexpensive material cost.
    the peace of mind & comfort is hard to put a price on, esp when your
    child is suffering.

Resnet is the source for energy raters who test ducts as part of the service.
    they could probably recommend someone they have worked with in the past
    to do the work. as we test both before work is done & after...this provides
    a way to measure what was accomplished. unlike utility sponsored audits
    raters have to achieve a MINIMUM of 30% improvement. utilities don't want
    to cut rate payer's cost this much, as it cuts into their bottom line of profit.

BPI is the source for Energy Auditors.
    if you chose this route, specify that duct testing needs to be done.
    both raters & auditors go through specific training in this field.
    we are often the bridge between trades people & home owner.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in