Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Also...now the humidity is sticking at 57%....which is much worse than before. Should I just give it some time and see?

The new return may not be sealed. And it may be moving that much more air that it is cooling your home faster then it can remove teh moisture.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

you added a powered attic ventilator?
    power vent fan in attic?

prior to that pav install you had passive
    venting on the roof?

any way you can post pictures of the situations
    you write of? as they are many, it would be
    helpful to those of us trying to understand without
    seeing.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Ok the humidity came diwn to 50% last night...thats good. Will be watching to see how the humidity levels go over the next week or so. Btw I'm noticing some activity with my symptoms that i havent notices since before i had the vents sealed. Thats scaring me a little but the ac guy went the extra mile to make sure everything was sealed well. The onky thing i ddnt like was he had the system back and on and running before the pookie had a chance to dry. It may just be the dust settling from the work and stuff. But i will be attentive. Finally in the roof, before i had two mushroom looking things that didt seem to move any heat at all... Replaced one with a turbine and that made a world of difference on the quality. In fact it seems this return thing has made it worse except for maybe the humidity. U will be warching it today ti see how humidity does during th hot part of the day.

Its possible that the turbine is drawing air out of teh house, which in turn draws fresh air into the house and raises humidity.
    Contractor locator map

Dude

I think i just made it worse doing the extra return. The humidity is back up to 56%. Before doing return and after adding the tuebine, the humidity was gettig down around 53% diring the hot parts of the day. Now it is around 56%.... Could be the lower temps... We r in the 90s now instead of the 100s. Also the side of the house on which i added the return is in a hotter section of the house. So maybe that slightly hotter air is mixing with the air from my original return which is in the cooler part of the house. Either way my symptoms are like they were back before i did anything. Maybe it will get better over time.

How well sealed is your attic access.
    Contractor locator map

Beenthere,

Dont think so on the turbine. As soon as i put it on, i noticed an improvement. Remember i started this whole post because i had high particles, high co2 and high humidity. The first thing i did was seal all the supply vents to keep from pulling in attic air through them. That helped a lot. Then After some time, i made the appointment to get the other return... And changed the turbine. After doing turbine (i still have one more to change) ii was having some realky good air quality.... But thought waht coumd it hurt? And i thought i might bring my humidity down from lower 50s to upper 40s. Yesterday i had he return put in I also cut a hole in the plywood behind the grill over my garage to help with ventilation. Now my symptoms are as bad as they were before i did my supply vents. So part of me thinks the guy who did the return may have not sealed it well enough. But i think i might wait a few days before i make any final decisions. I would take others advice and have the manual j done but i really dont think that is the way to go given that the house is fairly new.

Question for anyone... I noticed that he used ductboard for the plenum. On the interior of the ductboard it had some black lookin cloth stuff. Can that add to my particle level temporarily since it is on the interior where the air is blowing? The reason im asking is because the way things feel right now is a lot like it felt before i sealed my supply vents. Any comments would help.

The rise in humidity is probably the lower temps and corresponding shorter equipment run times.

Update

Since the symptoms i was experiencing were just like before when i was pulling particles into the house, i went up to do an inspection of the air handler. The door for the 4" filter wasnt sealing and had been pulling in attic air. I sealed it with some tape. The particles dont seem to be an issue. But the hunidity is still really high....58%. gonna watch it really clostle tonight.

The particles dont seem to be an issue now that i sealed the door. Thats what i meant to say. Also in my reply above i meant to say i not u.

Quote Originally Posted by robotman2009 View Post
    Update

Since the symptoms i was experiencing were just like before when i was pulling particles into the house, i went up to do an inspection of the air handler. The door for the 4" filter wasnt sealing and had been pulling in attic air. I sealed it with some tape. The particles dont seem to be an issue. But the hunidity is still really high....58%. gonna watch it really clostle tonight.
    Your a/c coil needs to be <50^F. Next set the dehumidistat on your whole house dehumidifier down to 50%RH.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Teddybear,

I dont have a whole house dehumidifer.

From above, our attic access is in the garage which has an exterior door between the house and it.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast