Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by robotman2009 View Post
    Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Thanks for all your advice. You have helped me see that an extra return is probably not the way to go since the dehumidifier has a return of its own along with a fresh air return. I'm gonna try sealing the ductwork first and see where that gets me...then move on to the dehumidifier.

Any more comments about the need or lack thereof to change the unit would be welcome.
    Monitor your temp/%RH through different weather conditions. If the a/c does a minmal job of controlling the %RH, Small dehu will do the job..
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

The guy I called yesterday didn't show up...after the comments I am kinda scared now. Fortunately my wife and son don't seem to have the breathing problems I do.

Since the guy yesterday didn't show, I went ahead and turned the fan speed down so the unit might do a better job of dehumidifying on a lower speed. I could be wrong on that but from what I have been told that might be better...chime in if that was a bad move.

There's plenty of Pros in your area and they'll be busy this time of year:

http://icemeister.net/aop_map.html

Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

I contacted the two closest to me the other day but haven't heard back from them.

I think it is fixed

Gentlemen,

You all won't believe it. I turned the fan down to low...you know since my unit seemed to be a little big for my house. It is a profound improvement! I'm going to get a hygrometer from home depot to measure the new humidity. The air seems so much more crisp and comfortable. I think the air being so high may have been sucking air too hard into the house...maybe pulling in particles. Also I think the air wasn't getting dehumidifier adequately because the higher fan setting might have been bringing the temperature down before bringing the humidity down.

Thanks for all the advice....if anybody needs a walking air quality gauge, I'm offering my nose for hire!

Thanks guys!

good deal!
    but you should still seal the ductwork, return & can lights.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

You are wringing out the humidity (latent load) and that's a good thing.
    Over 55% all kinds of allergies will bloom.

Many of us have become hyper-sensitive to the molds and allergens.

A total electric heatpump can be a breeding ground if not properly set up
    and maintaned.

Good on ya.

Find out about the p-trap thingy.
    Do not attempt vast projects with
    half vast experience and ideas.

Glad that made a difference. I for one have too often found that just small changes can make a big difference. That also means the sadly just a little more attention to detail by may installers, will make home owners much more comfortable. Comfort = return business, referrals and no call backs.

Not so fast

Ok...so I wake up this morning and had this wonderful experience which continued throughout the morning....left the house at 11....stayed gone until about 7...came home only to return to the symptoms again.

here is what I had written to answer your questions yesterday,
    around post 37..38..

the home inspector wouldn't have caught the issues you are having IMO.

ok..
    Energy rater...yes my return is in the ceiling. When you say air on the filter rack,
    do you mean the grill in front of the filter? Or do you mean the whole filter box?
    Either way there is dust all over the grill and some residual dust on the inside of the box.

if the front of the grill is dirty it just means that it needs cleaning. return is sucking
    air thru grill then filter and into return.
    could be housekeeping, could be recessed lights nearby..
    if you take the filter out you will see the metal rack the filter fits into.
    dirt on this area is bypassing the filter.
    if you see dust/dirt/cobwebs inside the framing that the r/a grill is attached
    to this is additional leakage that also bypasses the filter.

Thanks for the picture. Am I going to need to turn off the air handler while the ductwork is sealed?
    If so, how long do I need to leave it off to let the ductwork seal?

welcome. turning off the ahu will depend on if the ductwork is wet or not. mastic
    tape doesn't stick to wet. paint on mastic also should be applied to clean
    dry surfaces. I've done it both ways, unit off and on. just depends on the time
    of day, and the condition of the surfaces. most mastics set up in about an hour.
    depends on the type used.

Can I do the same thing for the canned lighting fixtures given that I only use fluorescent bulbs?
    NO.
    sheetrock boxes, foam ice chests (with a minimum of 4" clearance on all sides & top)
    or air tight inserts. if you do the inserts, then use the mastic tape to seal cut in
    sheetrock to metal housing of recessed lights. then ALWAYS use cfl's.
    I thought I had a picture of a box I made of sheetrock and put together with mastic tape,
    but can't find it. oh well. its a safe inexpensive way to seal the lights. same as with
    ice chest, with clearance requirements. caulk/mastic in place.

Should I get the bigger dehumidifier since my house 1600 sf is at the upper end of the 70h's range 1800 sf?
    Should I have the fan turned down on my unit?

those are Teddy Bear questions.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Thanks energy rater,

I should add that the symptoms aren't quite as bad...feeling not as bad with less medicine....Also the temperature seems to feel cooler at higher temperatures...it maybe the house doesn't cool as well during the high temps during the day...as far as symptoms, i won't know for sure until I spend some more time in the house today. The times I have looked at ductwork I have never noticed any wet surfaces....so I guess that is good.

Energy rater

Will any kind Of foil tape in the ac duct section work? I couldnt find the brand and couldnt find mastic tape but found the mastic sealant stuff. Can i out a 4 " filter if my grill only supports 1". Or do i change the grill?

other tapes?

not if you want the work to last.
    this is why I specify the brand and number.

over the years I've tried them all, still come
    back to this product.

there isn't a hvac supply where you live?
    I'm in podunk La. & there are 2 hvac supply
    houses 20 minutes away.
    google hardcast mastic tape...make some calls.
    you don't need an epa card to buy tape.
    or heres an idea..ask your hvac company..the
    one that will be doing the work?

I can't give you diy, or I'll get in dutch
    with the powers that be...feels like I'm
    treading that line already!

here is a pic of a 4" media filter that fits
    into regular return air filter grill.

hope this helps.
    best of luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast