Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Inspection mirror that reads correctly

I need to find an inspection mirror that I can read like I was looking at the Model
    #. As it may be 2 inches from wall so I need mirror to read it, It is backwards and sometimes #`s play H*** with me against mirror.

Why not use a second mirror like you look at your back in the mirror in the bathroom?

Google Rite Site inspection mirror, bought one a while back and has saved me from a lot of frustration.

Quote Originally Posted by chill67 View Post
    Google Rite Site inspection mirror, bought one a while back and has saved me from a lot of frustration.
    I was trying to remember the name. Supply houses used to sell them. Don't know if they still do.

http://www.johnstoneps.com/Default.a...Mirror*53070@@
    Last edited by ncboston; 06-23-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    Why not use a second mirror like you look at your back in the mirror in the bathroom?
    That is a good Idea but I only carry one

Quote Originally Posted by chill67 View Post
    Thank you very much I knew someone would know

Quote Originally Posted by ncboston View Post
    I was trying to remember the name. Supply houses used to sell them. Don't know if they still do.

http://www.johnstoneps.com/Default.a...Mirror*53070@@
    Thank you for the lead I do appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Take a picture of it with your cell phone.

Use an inspection camera.
    Those 2 have saved me countless hours of frustration and/or having to partially disassemble stuff to get numbers off units, motors, and other parts.

It also comes in handy on the rare occasion that a a model and serial number come up as invalid on a distributors computer system.
    Kinda hard for them to argue that you wrote the numbers down wrong when you have photographic proof.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Those 2 have saved me countless hours of frustration and/or having to partially disassemble stuff to get numbers off units, motors, and other parts.

It also comes in handy on the rare occasion that a a model and serial number come up as invalid on a distributors computer system.
    Kinda hard for them to argue that you wrote the numbers down wrong when you have photographic proof.
    Also a nice trick for replacing boards and stuff. Snap a picture of the wiring, pull it all and replace.

I've been preaching the use of cameras for how many yrs now on this site? Glad to see some of you get it and have enjoyed the benefits of easy access to valuable information once you've left the job site.

BTW, I do have that reverse mirror from SP. It works ok but needs to be much larger IMHO.

Now, if we can only get Trane to put their danged rating plates somewhere where we can see and photograph them. Guess they don't want us to read them.

I just recently got back into the trade and I've been discovering just how useful a smartphone can be on the job. There are all kinds of apps available plus you can just photo and text data plates, service sheets, etc. Not to mention having an entire world of service information at your finger tips. The only thing that can be frustrating is trying to look through larger manuals on a 4" screen. I might just pay for tethering service and get a tablet like Kindle Fire or a cheap laptop so I can read the stuff easier.

I take several pictures with my iPhone, no mistakes with copying it down. Latest is a bunch of VAVs that are installed upside down. Still arguing that one with the contractor and our bean counters. Yes, it makes a big difference with the heating coil flow, not to mention the service ease.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast