Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    southern nj, i have never seen res 3 phase

Cool Here is a residential home.

That has three phase power. The electrical panels take up a 20' x 8' high wall just to the lfet of this picture. They help to power the 6000 cfm Dryotron we installed and a few boilers as well.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

OMG!

I believe that a lot of houses built here in Phx in the late '50s and early '60s had 3-phase. I've heard that in those days the only units available for central air were commercial units and were all 3-phase. I guess the power companies were willing to bear the addl expense of the infrastructure so they could sell more electricity to the customer. Otherwise, the home would be built with only swamp cooling and would use less power.

When I'm in an older neighborhood, I like to spot which poles have 3-phase service (easy to spot the extra transformer) and which houses actually have the third leg wired. Houses that were built with swamp and then converted to AC later typically have single phase units even though 3-phase was available. I suspect it is only because the installing company didn't consider offering the 3-phase installation.

The cheaper cost of installing one 7.5 ton 3-phase unit, compared with two single-phase units, would provide a little offset for the cost of having 3-phase service installed (if the power co is willing). It would be interesting to know just how those numbers stack up.

Originally posted by Collin
    That has three phase power. The electrical panels take up a 20' x 8' high wall just to the lfet of this picture. They help to power the 6000 cfm Dryotron we installed and a few boilers as well.
    You couldn't like this guy very much since you installed one of those new suicide draft diverters on the left hand boiler.

Who the customer? Paul Martin? Ralph Klein? Rick Mercer?

Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Extra transformer as in two on the pole, high leg?

Red face I don't mean to sound flippant .......

But I don't remember.
    I mean, I remember staring at the hole in the ground that was to become the pool, but that was six years ago!
    You are asking me a question that I would immediatley refer to Sparky.

Oh and since this pic was taken, we connected the draft hood.
    Trust me, I know what I'm doing.

Several locations

In our area have residential 3 phase power.

Originally posted by Sunnyphx

When I'm in an older neighborhood, I like to spot which poles have 3-phase service (easy to spot the extra transformer) and which houses actually have the third leg wired.
    Extra as in two transformers on the pole?

3 phase in the house..

wow!

Could give a whole new meaning to the spin cycle on my wife's washer.

A sump pump that fires directly over my neighbours house to get the idiot on the other side. Hmmm.

3 phase air hockey table... has potential, right?
    Is this a Fabreze moment? C.Y.D. I'm voting white elephant. 2’.
    My competition are my best salespeople!

Carnak: Yes, two transformers, with a high leg (delta). One transformer is significantly smaller than the other, and it is the one that supplies the high leg. Since the 3-ph load (only the AC) is only a fraction of the total service to the house, the high leg transformer doesn't have to have the load capacity of the main transformer. At least, that's how it was explained to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12