Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I just got a request from an architect for a design/build project. He calls for a 7.5 ton unit for the second floor.

This is for a residence. Around here you can not get 3 ph. in a residence no matter how rich and fameous you are.
    So of course I am going to have to design a 4ton and a 3.5 ton systems for this house.

Is there any where in the country or the world were the power company allows 3phase in a residence?

I've only seen 1 house with it and they have a 7.5 ton a/c.

Question Not a problem here in Texas..

There are alot of three phase systems on splits and package unit here in Texas.

If this is a new home then he should be able to have electrician put sub-panel for 3 phase and seperate line brought in.Might cost some extra, but if you got the money anything is possible.
    "Everyday above ground, is a good day".
    "But everyday that you have made a difference in someones life, may insure you stay above ground a little longer".<aircooled>

Pretty common in rural Kentucky (because of the coal mines)
    My bro in law has 3 phase in his shed/workshop

There's an entire subdivision here on 3 phase.
    It's smack dab in the middle of Tyler, Tx, about two miles from the Trane, resi/light commercial outdoor unit plant. It's only about three from Carrier's rooftop plant.

I wonder if there's a connection?

There is one older subdivision here that has 3 phase, I went on one call where one of the legs was dead, so I called the power company for the customer, had to argue with the guy over the fact it was 3 phase power, even they didnt know they had residential customers with 3 phase power

Originally posted by benncool
    I just got a request from an architect for a design/build project. He calls for a 7.5 ton unit for the second floor.

This is for a residence. Around here you can not get 3 ph. in a residence no matter how rich and fameous you are.
    So of course I am going to have to design a 4ton and a 3.5 ton systems for this house.

Is there any where in the country or the world were the power company allows 3phase in a residence?
    Yes, here but I don't think on new stuff.

You do have an odd option that you could consider. A phase converter from say http://www.phaseconverter.com. With a little bit of controls that would make the phase converter start before the AC does, it could work.

Put it on a freq drive, it is a good way to convert to three phase.
    A Diamond is just a piece of coal, that made good under pressure!

There's always the "rectify to DC, invert to 3 phase AC" solution. But at the power levels you're dealing with, that's probably going to cost more than you like. (However, if you price the parts, it'll probably cost less than you expect. The design is tricky, though!)

Just use the 4 ton and 3.5 ton units as you say. That'll also provide a little fault tolerance. If you want to do some complex design, make a custom unit that has a 2.5 ton compressor and 5 ton compressor. Designed properly, you'll get 3 different cooling levels. But using ready made 4 ton and 3.5 ton systems will give multi-zone capability.

Part of Phoenix has 3 phase power in the older residential homes.

Well if Mr and Mrs Howell have at least a 75 kVA load, they could get three phase down here

Originally posted by benncool

Best way to zone anyways

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast