http://www.kpho.com/iteam/9573300/detail.html

My bro in law told me about this. Looks like our old company was in bed with the news co. on this one.

Because the guy who said "It's not time to replace the system yet" was one of the BIGGEST guys to sell sell sell sell sell a unit if it got close to the 10 yr mark!!!

The very same guy that would always talk down to you if he heard that you installed a condenser fan motor in a 10 yr old unit when you should have tried to sell them a new unit.

sell sell sell sell. Then have Phoenix' worst hacks go install it LOL!!!

I do every call like there is a hidden camera watching me. i've seen too many news stories and seen too many people complain about getting shafted by the hvacman.

It's agreed that there are some A/C people that are bad for our industry, but those half witted sting operations that the T.V. stations put together make the public doubt all of us. This is an business that service technicians have the right
    to differ one from another on what should be done to repair
    an A/C. The reference techs that they have used in Tulsa on
    some of those sting operations had a long way to go to be as
    good as some of the techs they had look at their set up unit.
    They should tell viewers how to find a good service company and being a BBB member doesn't make the grade.
    Whoa Maynard - that's not how it works.

I'd love to see a live "bust" of one of the sting ops......
    an honest repairman says on camera WTF is this? This wire didn't come loose by itself....
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

It was pretty lame, I think they were looking to reel in a big fish and all they caught was a minnow.

I'm paranoid about the tv too. I highly doubt any stings will be set up in this area since it's fairly small.. but...

And my worst fear, making some dumb rookie mistake, being caught on tv and have you guys see it and bust my balls lol.

Ever delt with a lil old lady right after she saw one of them HVAC stings? It's not a pretty sight.
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Exactly! I have been on a job, expressing concerns of a fan motor with very worn bearings, etc and the customer just saw the sting on TV. In their mind we are just wanting to SELL them something.

Originally posted by HeyBob
    It was pretty lame, I think they were looking to reel in a big fish and all they caught was a minnow.
    Yup. Looking at that particular story, that is what happened!
    Because the TOP THREE compaies usually busted, and that I PERSONALLY know to be bred into crooks, got lucky on that one. It's a very good chance that they made it obvious to know it's a sting. A.H.M. and A.T. always get busted. ANd DSC has been on their too.
    What floored Rammer and myself was the tech from DSC saying that "it was not time..." to replace the unit.
    OMG what a crock of ****! That dude would stand up in meetings harping on how many units he sold, selling them to replace 7 and 8 yr old systems and how us REPAIR TECHS such as myself needed to be pushing more for selling new units vs. fixing the units, making it sound like a CRIME to replace a condenser fan motor in a 10 yr old system.

...told us many A/C contractors are honest, but others will try to take advantage...
    Many?

Is it only many?

Does that mean most are dishonest?

I hate the public image that the media tries to push forward.

It looks like the reporters were disappointed by yet another honest group of techs. Other than pricing, they couldn't find anything to complain about.

Isn't price driven by supply & demand?

i wish someone would do a sting and catch one of the three
    crooks there at donley.

all they would have to do is look at a news persons house from chanel 12. a hint. shes asain and has a white first name, and last also.
    payson has worked on thats hackfest and said theres old equipment in attic.

i think payson needs to write in to the news.he always can word things good!

Originally posted by timmay
    I do every call like there is a hidden camera watching me. i've seen too many news stories and seen too many people complain about getting shafted by the hvacman.
    Amen brother, ain't nobody gonna catch me scratchin' and sniffin' on camera!
    Luke 6:31

Originally posted by rammer
    i wish someone would do a sting and catch one of the three
    crooks there at donley.

all they would have to do is look at a news persons house from chanel 12. a hint. shes asain and has a white first name, and last also.
    payson has worked on thats hackfest and said theres old equipment in attic.

i think payson needs to write in to the news.he always can word things good!

OMG you sure get bold sometimes!

Yeah. That lady works for channel 12.
    I ask here where her air handler is. For a maintenance call. She points to a scuttle lid in her garage. I go up there and I can't see the Air handler at all!

I crawl back there and finally after almost falling through her ceiling a bunch of times I get to the air handler. Turns out the access was a pop up sheetal metal lid to her roof! And there was NO CATWALK at all or a place to step to get out the pop hatch thingie. And as Rammer said, I found old motors and sh*t up there. Hacked as usual by DSC since they'll take the money and run when it comes to installing something. Even if the lady is a co-anchor for the local news!!!!

AHA! Found the pictures. Enjoy.

Access she thought lead right to the air handler.

Was crawling forever in the attic. Found ductwork but still no air handler.

No catwalk. Just lots of inso and wires and sheet to step on.

Alas! An old blower motor. I MUST be getting close!!!

There it is. No fackin' cat walk to stand on here either!

And here's where I'm supposed to use to access the air handler in the attic.

But it's a LONG jump down and no cat walk or anything solid to land on!!!

At least her Doberman Pincher was a real WUSS!

And to think. These guys did so many other installs that were so bad, it made this job look GOLDEN!