Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Got a union job again...

I'm a third year apprentice in Ohio. I was laid off and found a residential job with a company that had their own special agreement with the local. It paid much less and took me 2 years to make less money than a third year tech and less hours. I put in my notice once I found a job with a non-union commercial shop that paid very competitive to the local. A month later a union shop called me. I thought they reviewed my resume that I sent to them about a year ago or perhaps the local referred them to me. NO! They found me on Monster.com! They called the local and asked for a mid-level apprentice and the local didn't refer me, even though I was current on my dues! GOOD JOB local 1XX! Way to keep guys in the local. I know you're always here for me... when I have dues in my hand. BTW... I got the job. What's up with these guys???

In the union, unless you are tight with the mucky mucks, they don't give a crap about you. They only call when it's time to vote, or hit you up to picket.

All you are is a paycheck for them to send to the nearest democrat campaign.

My suggestion... if you're looking for a job in this field, get on Monster and keep your resume up to date. It's the second job I've got because of my resume on there.

congrats

yay! more $$$ moolah bucks clams dollar bones greenbacks quids or whatever else you call them. congrats. stay cool. we're roasting here in canada. it hit 100F two days ago.
    Parts Changer Extraordinaire
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisTechMech View Post
    I'm a third year apprentice in Ohio. I was laid off and found a residential job with a company that had their own special agreement with the local. It paid much less and took me 2 years to make less money than a third year tech and less hours. I put in my notice once I found a job with a non-union commercial shop that paid very competitive to the local. A month later a union shop called me. I thought they reviewed my resume that I sent to them about a year ago or perhaps the local referred them to me. NO! They found me on Monster.com! They called the local and asked for a mid-level apprentice and the local didn't refer me, even though I was current on my dues! GOOD JOB local 1XX! Way to keep guys in the local. I know you're always here for me... when I have dues in my hand. BTW... I got the job. What's up with these guys???
    When a third year apprentice gets benched employers get suspicious, most apprentices cruise all the way to fifth year with no problems.
    Get involve with the union, go to the meetings, seat down with your BA at least once a month, there are probably more than 1000 members in your local, make yourself noticeable.

Congrats Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    When a third year apprentice gets benched employers get suspicious, most apprentices cruise all the way to fifth year with no problems.
    Perhaps that's the case in your area or your generation, but at least 50% of our apprentices seem to have been benched at least once in their 5 year program. When people hear the name of one of the guys I worked for, they all say, 'Oh! You don't have to explain.' I think 2006 - 2008 weren't great years to get started, but persistence has paid off. I'll admit, I was a little behind the curve by my second year, but I think I've caught up and I'm ready to get going again.

Union Jobs

I know the union jobs have been really tough in some areas. I agree you need to be active in you union and if you are off work, call you paid officials every week, or couple days if needed. It breaks my heart to hear about people being forced to find jobs outside of the union. Our local has lost men because we could not find them jobs fast enough. Once you lose someone that way it is hard to promote the benefits of unions. Unions are only as good as the workers and thier paid officials.

Good luck chris,just keep learning and work hard you will be fine,but if the union thing doesn't work out you need to focus on starting your own buisness.Why make someone else rich.

Thanks guys. Dilp, I have been considering starting my own thing, but it's tough in Ohio (or anywhere I guess). I have to be able to show that I've done "permitable" work for at least 5 years before I can even apply to take the HVAC test. I've done service since I've started. I've done a few projects and I'm keeping track of as much as I can, but it'll take more than 5 years. If anyone here knows a way around all the mess, let me know. The main reason I want to get my liscense is so I can move away. Where we wanna move, there's not much opportunity to make decent money. Everyone I know out that way drives at least 40 miles to work.

My other idea is to open a supply house. Either electrical or HVAC. There's only 2 decent HVAC wholesalers and no electrical wholesalers within 35 miles. It's a good size town, but not many suppliers. I know quite a few guys that work this region and they always complain that there aren't many parts houses out here.

I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast