Post Likes

Domestic refrigerator charging hose size?

Hi All,

I am an appliance tech getting into the sealed system side of domestic refrigeration. Previousy i have only been dealiing with the elctrical systems as most units are throw away if anything major fails. however there is becoming more of a need to service these systems to either compressor change outs or clearing restrictions. I still have a little more time to go at college but i have a question i was hoping some one could answer.

- As these systems only contain very small amounts of refrigerants is using regular charging hoses on your manifold a problem ? i know there is a possitive pressure on the lines with air in them but do you risk loosing any of the charge in the lines when simply testing pressures ?

Thanks !

2. Likes Chev5372 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Yes you would lose some of your charge.

Post Likes
    Get your machine running perfect by adjusting the charge, then pinch your process tubes. After that, you can remove your hoses and weld the process stubs. No leaky that way. Too critical of a charge to do it any other way and expect it to last.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the advise. In your opinion would using a digital probe/guage set like the testo smart probes be of much benifit by not having any hoses connected to loose any of the charge in? Just weigh the charge straight into the unit and then connect up the smart probe to the service valve to check operation. I can't see a reason why I would need to have a probe connect while charging as I would be weighing it in.