Post Likes

Evapco Filter Media Cleaning

So, last year when I started at this job, our chiller was having problems with surging...when I pulled the media panels at the cooling tower I realized how horribly they had calcified (we have very hard water here in the TN valley). We ended up replacing all 20 panels. This year, I was doing my annual tower cleaning and noticed that the calcium is slowly starting to coat the media again (nothing I can't wipe off with my fingers). There are a ton of chems out there to treat tower water but I wanted to ask what do you find most effective in keeping calcium off your air intake media on your cooling towers?

"But I don't want to pump heat...can't it just blow into the house?"

Post Likes
    Is it on the drift eliminator you pull out to get to the basin or the fill in upper part of the tower

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Well, Evapco calls it the "air intake louvres" but yes, the side intake panels

Post Likes
    Water splashing on them causes that.

You don't have constant flow.

What does your media in the tower look like?

Have you checked performace of it?

Post Likes
    I have constant flow but my vertical tower media was pretty dirty. I cleaned a lot of debris out of it the best i could (this whole system was pretty neglected for a long time). I always expect some splashing water but shouldn't the deflectors on the media panels take care of most of that?

Post Likes
    My experience has been on towers that spray water over the media and thee water drops 3-4 feet to the basin have the problem you have. It can get worse when the fan cycles down.
    Get a good water treatment going to protect the chillers .
    The splashing is what gets them. Just rinse them a lot and plan on a lot of replacement .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev5372 View Post
    My experience has been on towers that spray water over the media and thee water drops 3-4 feet to the basin have the problem you have. It can get worse when the fan cycles down.
    Get a good water treatment going to protect the chillers .
    The splashing is what gets them. Just rinse them a lot and plan on a lot of replacement .

I got a water treatment system going from a third party vendor...I hope he is doing it right . You're exactly right about the splashing...it's about a 5 foot drop from the media into the basin.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellpsp View Post
    I have constant flow but my vertical tower media was pretty dirty. I cleaned a lot of debris out of it the best i could (this whole system was pretty neglected for a long time). I always expect some splashing water but shouldn't the deflectors on the media panels take care of most of that?

Sorry wasn't clear they get build up because of the splashing, they are not part of the tower that has constant flow of treated water.

Water splashes on them evaporates and leaves behind the solids that were in the water.

Post Likes
    If the frames around the louvers are plastic you can soak them in a tank of scale remover, getting rid of the waste can be a problem though.
    If it has the metal frames remove the frame , most are rivets, soak them.
    Have had to extend the flap above the louvers to keep the splashing farther away.
    Bottom line they are cheap towers to build so they get sold, the expense to the owner comes later when the have to buy louvers every few years.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Chev5372 View Post
    If the frames around the louvers are plastic you can soak them in a tank of scale remover, getting rid of the waste can be a problem though.
    If it has the metal frames remove the frame , most are rivets, soak them.
    Have had to extend the flap above the louvers to keep the splashing farther away.
    Bottom line they are cheap towers to build so they get sold, the expense to the owner comes later when the have to buy louvers every few years.

Ahh, that makes more sense...when I was on the phone with the Hoffman and Hoffman rep (Evapco Distributors), I thought it was a bit odd how readily available replacement panels were, being such a major part of the unit. The panel frames are metal so I guess I have some unriveting to do this fall. I'll try descaling and post my results.

Post Likes
    Use precautions so you don't get hurt.