Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

should i change my car if be hired as a full time tech???

hi guys

I got a job offer last week. Full time service tech of a union company. The employer will supply the service truck to me. Every morning I leave my car at company and drive company truck away, and return it to company after off work. But the problem is right now I am driving a ford transit connect, as you know, it is a mini cargo van, not suv, sedan...

One of my friends told me that my new boss is possibly does not be happy if I drive a mini cargo van to company. It means I am likely to take some side jobs, even after off work.

I want to keep my little ford, it's a nice van. At the same time, I can not afford another car, a car just making my boss be happy.

Post Likes
    then sign a agreement with him that you wont do side work
    I personally would not even think about it as you just started.
    BUT you could always talk to youre new boss if he does not care what you drive to work why should you

3. Likes Fridgieguy liked this post
    Post Likes
    I wouldn't worry about it, unless you have ladder racks, drums of refrigerant, and parts in that van.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    What do you have inside of your "after hours" vehicle? HVACR parts? Ladders? If not, then what diff does it make what you are driving?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toshwhzz View Post
    hi guys

I got a job offer last week. Full time service tech of a union company. The employer will supply the service truck to me. Every morning I leave my car at company and drive company truck away, and return it to company after off work.
    If your boss is that paranoid that you and your little transit connect are going to run him out of business by steeling all of his customers on the weekends, then maybe this isn't a good place to work for. If you are a union apprentice though, you might be stuck working there until they fire you. I guess if you don't want to get fired and you are worried about it, have a talk with them. Did they make their position clear on side jobs when they hired you? Do you do side jobs? A lot of commercial companies don't really care if you do, as long as you aren't driving their truck all over town to do them.

Some bosses are just paranoid douche bags, though. If this is the kind that you've got, then good luck!

With that being said, right now it is a tech's market. It's hard for companies to find decent techs that have a clean record and who can pass a pee test. If you do get fired for something stupid like this, it probably wouldn't take very long for your union to find you something better (as long as your're a decent tech who has a clean driving record and who can pass a pee test).

By the way, most commercial companies, especially union ones, let their techs take their vehicles home. Why doesn't this place?

If you haven't actually started yet, and if you are having second thoughts about this company, you might want to talk to your union to see if they could send you somewhere else BEFORE you actually start there. They probably have a few companies who are looking for people right now and they MIGHT be able to help you find somewhere else to go. After you start working though, you are kind of committed to working there.

Like I said before, good luck!
    If at First You Don't Succeed, Skydiving Is Not for You.

Post Likes
    I've run side jobs out my VW Golf and my Jeep pulling a small trailer if your boss is worried about guys doing side jobs because of what they drive he should be worried all the time.

Anyway if your boss does have a problem check your union agreement and I think it is safe to say it will make no mention of your personal vehicle so it isn't your boss's business what you drive.

Post Likes
    So does your Friend have specific knowledge of this company or was he talking just to be talking and making noise.

Being a union company and assuming you are a union member, your Union will probably be the first one to question why you are working outside of the union contract. As an apprentice that could cost you your training and very good carreer down the rode.

You did not say if you do or will attempt to do "side" work.

I'm not saying anything about what you drive.

I'm saying you should consider very hard doing "side" work after hours or on weekends. I know fast cash is hard to turn down and it helps the family budget.

Don't sXXt in your own hat.

Good Luck with the new job

Post Likes
    How did you end up driving a transit connect?
    I miss you mom and dad.

Post Likes
    thanks for all your guys

Personally, I do not think there are any conflicts between my side job and the company's business. Because most of my side jobs just like replacing furnace igniter, adding refrigerant to ac, changing vent motor of RTU etc. To those company with the title of "mechanical xxx", they usually do not involve too much on residential or light commercial side. Be honestly, it is impossible to me to "steal" the company's business because most of clients are hospital, city hall, school board etc. Those organization never believe small contractors or private tech, they only put the job orders on the hands of big HVAC companies. However, as you said. my little ford is full of load Not only two ladders on the roof, but also with lots of s..t inside

Well, I will think about buy a extra car, maybe a cheap used car, just for commuting. That's true, the union clearly say NO to side job, everybody must keep the working hours under a certain level. 45 hours per week?? But as I know, almost all techs do not follow the rule. Just now, my partner of last company show off to me that he took three side jobs yesterday and got $600 cash...

Post Likes
    Gives the impression you will do side work from the company you work for even if he did not do it its the impression.

Post Likes
    Glad you were so honest in the first post.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

13. Likes beshvac liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toshwhzz View Post
    thanks for all your guys

Personally, I do not think there are any conflicts between my side job and the company's business. Because most of my side jobs just like replacing furnace igniter, adding refrigerant to ac, changing vent motor of RTU etc. To those company with the title of "mechanical xxx", they usually do not involve too much on residential or light commercial side. Be honestly, it is impossible to me to "steal" the company's business because most of clients are hospital, city hall, school board etc. Those organization never believe small contractors or private tech, they only put the job orders on the hands of big HVAC companies. However, as you said. my little ford is full of load Not only two ladders on the roof, but also with lots of s..t inside

Well, I will think about buy a extra car, maybe a cheap used car, just for commuting. That's true, the union clearly say NO to side job, everybody must keep the working hours under a certain level. 45 hours per week?? But as I know, almost all techs do not follow the rule. Just now, my partner of last company show off to me that he took three side jobs yesterday and got $600 cash...
    Wrong is Wrong.

Once the boss finds out your gone.
    When he tells the Union why your gone there not going to be to happy with you also.

Your not helping your parents or in-laws your taking union jobs!

Post Likes
    Just a couple questions. Do you need Licenses to do these side jobs legally? Most states, (county's or cities) require you have liability and Workmans Comp insurance if you gross more than $1000 annually. Of course you report this income on your taxes every year right?

Sorry your generallity about union workers is not correct. I have known thousands of union guys in the trade and more than 90% do NOT work outside of their real job

I don't see this going well for you,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast