Post Likes

HVAC SYSTEMS AND FIBERGLASS DUCT BOARDS

I am a build inspector and have concerns about fiberglass duct boards and indoor air quality. What is the life expectancy of these type ducts and at what point are they recommended to be replaced to prevent air bond fiberglass fragments ? Can these ducts be cleaned safely ? Are there any states that have banned the use of these ducts ?

I am not a fan of this material but is used here in CT. Its always a problem when I find these ducts and wish to be able to give my clients a accurate recommendation. My thoughts are if the are 20 years old they are at the end of there useful life and should be replaced.

Thanks for any help,

Alan from CT

Post Likes
    If installed properly the life expectancy is 30 years. It can be properly cleaned with contact vacuuming, air washing, and flexible bristle brushing if the tech knows what they are doing. I don't know if anyone has banned the use.
    "Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort. The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" --- John Ruskin

Post Likes
    I think it's banned in California, but I don't know for sure. Honestly though, I think it should be banned everywhere regardless. Once you touch it, that fiberglass goes everywhere. It's not like floor or attic insulation that hardly ever gets disturbed. Duct board is disturbed every time air moves past it - that can't be good for anyone's health over time.

Post Likes
    Maybe they last longer in Vegas due to the dry air, but I've seen them fall apart on the inside. I never liked it. I haven't installed duct board in a lot of years tho so maybe they're made differently now but I doubt it.

Post Likes
    They made different types of fiberboard over the years the older ones usually where all yellow which tended to flake, then the better ones started as yellow then turned orange , called orange peel for less flaking . Now they are yellow turning black with a smooth pressed final surface . I installed fiberboard in my first house in 1986 , in the attic and lived at that residence for 20 years before I sold it and it still is in very good overall condition and I am still alive , as far as I know the duct board is still there. Depends on where you install the duct , hot attic tend to dry the foil tape and they start to leak and the fitting loosen up , even thou they are stapled. Seen mouse eat through duct board . I have seen fiberboard ducts over the years that have reminders labels on them that they where cleaned by Compaines so it's not uncommon . You are correct about duct board use in Connecticut as I reside here also.
    Last edited by Bazooka Joey; 02-02-2015 at 10:12 PM.

Post Likes
    Never cared for the stuff,every time I`ve had to remove it it was in terrible shape.
    I love overtime I just hate working for it.