Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Market for a Heat Pump only stat?

Went on a call today for a customer installed stat. He put the common on the b terminal and blew the fuse. After I got it back on line I was gonna test heat, eheat and cooling. But I couldn't get heat pump to come on. I threw me for a loop for a minute but I finally realised in very small print on the back out the box that this Honeywell stat was for 1 heat 1 cool or heat pump only with no backup.

To let the system know it's a Heat Pump you need to jump w to y.

Got to thinking about it and I've never seen a Heat Pump only system. I can't possibly imagine a market for this. Overall I thought it was pretty dumb for Honeywell to put out such a stat. Especially as it only stated in small print on the back of the box. Not like pro stats.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Went on a call today for a customer installed stat. He put the common on the b terminal and blew the fuse. After I got it back on line I was gonna test heat, eheat and cooling. But I couldn't get heat pump to come on. I threw me for a loop for a minute but I finally realised in very small print on the back out the box that this Honeywell stat was for 1 heat 1 cool or heat pump only with no backup.

To let the system know it's a Heat Pump you need to jump w to y.

Got to thinking about it and I've never seen a Heat Pump only system. I can't possibly imagine a market for this. Overall I thought it was pretty dumb for Honeywell to put out such a stat. Especially as it only stated in small print on the back of the box. Not like pro stats.

The customer bought the wrong tstat. It's that simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Cheap single stage thermostat. There is a huge market for $20 thermostats

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Yea we know that. How many hp do you see with no back up though?

Post Likes

I see quite a few 1960s ranchers owned by old folks with straight heat pumps, no auxiliary heat. Their 'auxiliary' heat is electric baseboards. They don't want no dag-on electric heat runnin' up their VEPCO bill (electric company hasn't been VEPCO for over 30 years). Yes, I've explained that resistance heat is resistance heat.

And I have seen a few thermostats out there that are heat pump thermostats, but have no option for emergency heat, which can be deceptive at first because you think they have a 1H/1C thermostat. I don't get why they exist.

Post Likes

I think the real market of the stat you talking about would be a gas unit with a/c hence the one heat one cool. To go to a 2 heat 1 cool stat is an extra $10. So really they are marketing it to a traditional split and just threw in their it will do a heat pump.

I have a building with wshp I take care of and they are a 1h/1c hp but I guess that does not count as we're talking more residential. But those just have a 1h/1c Honeywell pro 5000

7. Likes acmanko liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhenergy View Post
    I think the real market of the stat you talking about would be a gas unit with a/c hence the one heat one cool. To go to a 2 heat 1 cool stat is an extra $10. So really they are marketing it to a traditional split and just threw in their it will do a heat pump.

I have a building with wshp I take care of and they are a 1h/1c hp but I guess that does not count as we're talking more residential. But those just have a 1h/1c Honeywell pro 5000

I was going to say, folks that spend tens of thousands for wshp , and then want a single stage heat thermostat would be in the market. And there are lots of them down here

9. Likes mkovack liked this post
    Post Likes
    I did consider ground source... But here temps will never drop dellow 30 so who would have ground source?

If your willing to spend that kind of money what's a Heat kit?

I've seen old units with the aux hooked up wrong in a fashion that it would never work and no one ever complained in 20+years because the heat pump always did the job.

My point is it's getting by customers and retailers. Here in central Florida as well as most places folks don't really know what EHeat is. But they all have it.

Post Likes
    In south Florida any heat pump I see has no electric heaters. All I carry is 1 heat 1 cool stats.

12. Likes Core_d liked this post
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by newoldtech View Post
    In south Florida any heat pump I see has no electric heaters. All I carry is 1 heat 1 cool stats.

I had a friend tell me before I moved down here tell me South fl was straight cool. Any truth to that? Do you see many cool only?

Post Likes
    I've seen a few commercial places that are cool only. But they have heat on the stat..

Post Likes
    I've seen a few commercial places that are cool only. But they have heat on the stat..

Lots of people in Dallas never use heat

Post Likes
    I had a friend tell me before I moved down here tell me South fl was straight cool. Any truth to that? Do you see many cool only?

No, theres almost always heat. Usually electric heaters. An occasional heat pump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast