Post Likes

Location of Supply

Hi,

Note: I live in So Cal, so the following issue concerns a system designed primarily for cool air.

My HVAC guy's original design was to place the Supply in 2 of the rooms in one corner. However, due to the framing of the house -- house built in the 30's; said they "over-framed" it -- he could only place the returns in the ceiling near the door. He said reframing would get ugly and costly. The issue: the supply/register is located on wall (about 8" below ceiling).

He said so long as the louvers on the register point away from the supply, the air will circulate around the room at which time the stagnant, hot air will get sucked from return (again, near the door).

Just curious, as the supply (on wall) is located less than 3 ft from return (ceiling).

Attached a photo of one of the rooms.

Thanks in advance for any help/insight!

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    I don't like it, Though I cant see the attic, I cant imaging there is not another place to put a return, thinking that was the easiest

Post Likes
    Not the preferred method but can work. You should look for a better way.

4. Likes lkapigian liked this post
    Post Likes
    Thanks, Wayne!

Is the troubling issue that the cold air from the supply could get sucked into the return?

Post Likes
    It will work just fine. It's easy to sit here and armchair the install. If your not happy get up in the attic and look for yourself. If your worried about the air just blowing right up the return don't.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

7. Likes HeatenCoolair liked this post
    Post Likes
    The troubling issue is half of the diffuser is blowing directly toward the return. I wouldn't like that.

Post Likes
    I agree with all of those saying you don't really know until you've seen it yourself. Not ideal, but maybe as good as it'll get.

One thing though. That thing about pointing the return register louvers away. I've heard that before and it's ridiculous. You can alter the airflow in the room somewhat by directing the supply in different directions. In this case, point the supply away from the return. Simple. In no way can you alter the airflow in the room by moving the blades around on a return grille. You cannot make a return draw in air directionally.

Post Likes
    The supply air should be positioned in a way that it counteracts the load for the area. In a bedroom, that would be where some of the conditioned air would hit a window.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WAYNE3298 View Post
    The troubling issue is half of the diffuser is blowing directly toward the return. I wouldn't like that.
    I don't see an issue but Wayne is dead on - that needs to be a one-way blow away from the return.

The return also looks a little small compared to the supply. If you also have a return in the corridor, difficulty may be resolved by trimming the bottom of the door. If the air can't get back to the unit, it won't go in the room.