Gutter Guards

Thread: Gutter Guards

I was wondering what kind of experiences you folks have had with gutter guards. I've got a bunch of pin oak trees, and in the fall, I have to clean my gutters out twice a week for months.

I see all different types - plastic ones with grooves, metal screens, plastic mesh...

Anybody have any luck with ones that work?

Thanks

I've used the metal screen type in the past. They work pretty good at keeping items out of the gutter but alot of stuff get caught in the wire. Over time it builds up and can be a real pain to get clean off.

I put them on a couple seasons ago. They're effective.

I researched them a long time ago and found that they all had some kind of different issues depending on what was falling into them, i.e. seeds vs leaves. My next door neighbor had one kind and when the ice storm came, the ice built up on them and started melting and running down the fascia boards and got inside the walls in his house.

Then there's some kind of wierd gutterless design where there are rows of thingys under the edge of the roof that cause the water and ice to be dispersed when it hits them. But they freeze up or something and you have to thaw them out.

Originally posted by midhvac
    My next door neighbor had one kind and when the ice storm came, the ice built up on them and started melting and running down the fascia boards and got inside the walls in his house.

Needs flashing over the fascia.

I used some gutter guard on the grill of my truck. Sure helped keep rocks and big bugs from killing the radiator.

Sorry... I'm bored tonight....
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."