+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diakin install with pics. Is this proper install?

Post Likes

Diakin install with pics. Is this proper install?

I work at a hospital and a contractor finished up a building of ours with about 65 Diakin indoor units and four big roof top units. My concern is that every airhandler they installed above the drop ceilings has big holes cut out in the return plenums. Dont know much about the Diakin's or how there installed. And the filter setup sucks also, you just about cut your fingers trying to get the filters out, and you need a hanger to try to hook the filter thats behind the first one. Just seems slopp to me. Any one familiar with these?

Attachment 244681

Attachment 244691

Post Likes
    I would have preferred it neater, but I am not there. As the end user, it is your professional opinion that matters as far as what you would accept vs what was specified.

Post Likes
    That is ugly.................really ugly!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    looks like a ceiling return plenum kinda looks like crap wonder how much air gets around the filter. aside from that it probably work

Post Likes
    Hacktacular.

Get your spec book and read up or bring it to the ME's attention and let him decide if this meets the project documents.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Daikin sucks you cant get economizers for them in the US but they sell 8 ton air handlers go figure

Post Likes
    Daikin has a very, very specific warranty policy. If i were you i would request all the information about the equipment. The vendor should give this all over to your company anyway. With the warranty info and the engineer that designed it will make the determination if the installation was done correctly. However, that may not make changing filters easier, that comes when the installation was be done and someone from maintenance saying WTF how do you expect us to change these!and than making a field change. many design engineers and HVAC vendors don't think about the maintenance guys

Post Likes
    Haven't got in to one yet looking forward to it to see what they are made of and try eyes operate

Post Likes
    I probadly would have fabricated a filter rack with a access door big enough to remove for maintenace. However contractors cant provide textbook work when access is limited. Im in new york so im used to it. This install looks fine by looking at these two pics.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.730896,-73.866351

Post Likes
    looks really bad.They may have done this to allow more return air to quiet the units.My company sells these units and they get real noisey when they dont have enough return air

Post Likes
    Lining the RA plenum would quiet it tremendously!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Post Likes
    Yea looking like this, why even have a return plenum just put a filter rack and be done with it. Thats what I told the contractor. He hasnt responded yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billymons View Post
    Yea looking like this, why even have a return plenum just put a filter rack and be done with it. Thats what I told the contractor. He hasnt responded yet.
    Being that its a hospital arent you required to have fresh air? Are these units the means for that fresh air?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by aNtHoNyNoZ View Post
    Being that its a hospital arent you required to have fresh air? Are these units the means for that fresh air?
    This is a smaller out building not the main hosp. Not a steril environment. No surgeries or anything in this bldg. there are other separate units for fresh air.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by billymons View Post
    This is a smaller out building not the main hosp. Not a steril environment. No surgeries or anything in this bldg. there are other separate units for fresh air.
    again if you want to dig into this further get the installation material, mechanical drawings, (if any) and warranty stuff and read through it. but what you will find at the end, they got what they paid for.

Post Likes
    rack works best.they have a special type unit for fresh air. we lined all of our r/a ducts before install, if they dont have enough return they scream

Post Likes
    If anything the plenum should have been lined with opening on top with a filter rack there to baffle some of the noise. That looks ugly, hard to access filter but I don't think it will affect operation at all. Hopefully that's not how the engineer drew the details then I would hate to see the rest.

Post Likes

It's not pretty BUT

It does give you a filter rack with a larger filter (given the angle) and it will reflect some of the insertion noise from the unit ( vs if the filter was right on the end of the unit.
    This will not win any sheet metal craftsmenship awards but no technical rules broken as far as I see
    You have got to learn from other people's mistakes! Because God knows you don't live long enough to make them all yourself !!!!!!!!

Post Likes
    Daikins are odd sizes to get filters for. The usual setups we are used to don't work. The company I work for has been installing these for a few years. Many growing pains involved. Filter bases and sizes included. I think the systems are great tho. Adapt or disappear.

Post Likes
    Since this is a hospital, CYA, once you sign off, could leave you open for a lawsuit. Daikin vrv's r decent equipment, but that would suggest to me that their is adesign problem. Simple as the wrong type box, mounted in that location. Do yourself a favor and ring it up to your boss.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in