+ Reply to Thread

Thread: problem with walk-in cooler pumping down

Post Likes

problem with walk-in cooler pumping down

Hey guys, I have found a few answers to some problems in the past over here, but I cant find anything for this problem so I thought I would register and ask the question myself
    I am a commercial tech with a bit of refrigeration experience. We have a restaurant that has begun having some problems with their walk-in and I am not sure what to try now.

Our customer has an older building and his walk-in freezer was waterlogged and the walls were buckling out and causing him a mess with ice on the floor. He decided that he did not need his freezer anymore and put in a deep freeze and a few standup freezer and got some guys he knew to tear down the old freezer. They did this on a Saturday (I had no idea it was happening) and Sunday morning I got a call from him about the cooler.

Apparently the guys he hired must have done something to the cooler (no one has gotten a straight answer yet) because he was telling me he had a leak(I never found a leak in the system). In a panic he called a guy he knew, because I was separated from my phone on Sunday morning for a few hours. It was a 409a system and the guy he called dumped in a bunch of 134a and told him it would hold him until I got there. Once I arrived, I recovered the refrigerant, replaced the drier and pulled a vacuum and charged with new 409a. Things looked good but he called me Tuesday and told me it wasn't working anymore. I returned and the unit was pumped down, but the solenoid valve was open. It eventually cleared and began running properly, but after a few more days, it pumped down again and would stay pumped down for several hours before clearing and running.

After replacing the TXV and the solenoid vave, I took them apart and found no visible flaws, and the strainer in the TXV was clean. Well, I have no idea what the problem is, but every week or so, the cooler will just pump down for 3-5 hours and then begin working properly. I feel confident that there is no moisture in the system due to the drier replacements and the multiple vacuums I have pulled. I am beginning to wonder if someone has put some leak stop in the system at some point and that is causing the problem. I think my next step is to do an oil change on the system and try blowing out the lines again, but I feel like I am spinning my wheels.

Anyone have any ideas or seen this before?

Post Likes
    Is the low pressure switch closing?

Post Likes
    The low pressure switch is functioning properly. There appears to be something in the refrigerant line causing a restriction every few days, but the strainer in the txv was clear and the drier was not stopped up. When I replaced the solenoid valve, I also saw nothing to indicate a problem.

It is just that every 3-7 days, the system pumps down(solenoid energized, and appears to be functioning) and stays pumped down for a few hours.

Post Likes
    One time I found a rubber plug stuck inside a 90.

it caused intermittent pump downs.

Post Likes
    Could be the T-stat is wacked out.

Post Likes
    ....... Or the defrost clock

Post Likes
    Had three like that before. One had a loose wire in t-stat that was in the terminal but not actually under the screw (a ranco ETC) that would randomly shut off the box. Found by wiggling wires.

The other had a defrost timer that would randomly stick (paragon mechanical timer).

The other had moisture in TXV. I used a propane torch to warm it up and it started flowing again.

The key is to be there when it fails! Good luck, sounds frustrating.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by trippintl0 View Post
    The other had moisture in TXV. I used a propane torch to warm it up and it started flowing again.

The key is to be there when it fails! Good luck, sounds frustrating.
    I agree with this
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    It's amazing how many machines start working when the mechanic shows up

Post Likes
    We pulled the refrigerant, and pulled all components and blew the lines out with nitrogen. I didnt see anything but after the vacuum, the unit took 5 less lbs of 409a. Hopefully something was blown out, the fact that it took less refrigerant shows that something has changed, I hate not knowing for sure but time will tell. Gonna be stopping by the place when possible to check.

Post Likes

Pumpdown Issues

Check low pressure switch, sollenoid valve (sticking?), intermitent restriction in metering device.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in