+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Leak Sealant"

Post Likes

"Leak Sealant"

Has anyone used any of the leak fix in a bottle for a/c systems. I see they have them for automotive a/c as well as residential/commercial systems. Looks like a glue you put in the system when adding refrigerant. I cant imagine they work or last. I dont see how it wouldnt plug up a cap tube or piston, or gum up a txv. Just curious to see if anyone used any of these leak repairs to see what the results were. I intend to keep brazing any leak I can or replace the component that is leaking.

2. Likes Unlimited1 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    this is a debate that will go one for ever..but i think the overall feeling here is this stuff Sucks.

find the leak and fix it. I only would use it, when i have a new unit on the way and i may want to buy me a few weeks or months. But only when the customer begs...I really really don't like to use it....IF you do, make sure you write on the condensor that you pumped BS into the system so the next tech that comes out doesn't ruin his equipment.

4. Likes Kevinyork liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks for the info. I agree find the leak and fix it. We work hard to be sure the system is as clean and contaminant free as we possibly can why on earth do we want to put some kind of sludge into our nice clean system?? The "Easy" path is not always the right one to take. I would be seriously pissed if I ran that junk through my recovery unit. I have never used the stuff, just see it advertised all over.

Post Likes
    I just recently used a leak stop substance as well as leak dye for the first time..ive always been against putting foreign substances in a system. But this is on a 30+ yr old evap that a company retrofitted to 410a. Evap leaking at almost all welds. New coils are being built but i used the leak stop to slow down the amount of freon having to be put in system to keep it running..it's helped sone but not alot. Still don't want to make a habit using the stuff though

Post Likes
    I've never had any real luck with leak stop products. Some of them smell kind of good, but that's about it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Toddbrewster View Post
    I see they have them for automotive a/c as well as residential/commercial systems.
    They work differently.

The automotive stuff is designed to swell leaking hoses and gaskets. The residential/commercial stuff is designed to harden with exposure to air/moisture to seal leaks in metal.

Post Likes
    I put a can in a piece of junk portable A/C just for the heck of it and it did seal the leak and it's still running.
    I wouldn't put it anything important . JMO

Post Likes

Thumbs down

.i fllow behind a "service tech" at my company.. hes uses it for everything and charges alot too... then .. it doesnt work ... boss sells them new system ayway.. so when i go do the rip out ... i cut the lines and the part of the line clostest to txv/piston, is full of oil....

and that stuff smells like it should be used on dead bodies..

Post Likes
    I did a maintenance on a heat pump package unit. It was in a 55+ community and the owners kids do a/c up north and put it in about 8 years ago (thats what he said).

When I connected my gauges they read zero, I was able to replace the schraeder valves with a regular (unvalved) tool. After that I got pressure reading and they were normal. TXV worked, reversing valve worked.

I don't recommend putting it in anything simply because it's not a proper repair. In fact I will refuse to put it in anything. We had a guy call up and say he just wants us to put xxxx brand leak stop in his rental. I got the ticket and did the install. The next day he called back and it wasn't working at all now. A few days later he said he was having another company put a new system in because we screwed it up. Pure BS.

Post Likes
    Coincidentally, I also started another thread on this same subject today. I also confirmed today with both trane and carrier, if this stuff or dye is found in a system, it voids any warranty.

My boss (who doesn't even know ac) is pushing guys to use this. I can only assume because of the quick, and large profit margin. I'm also finding that the techs who believe in doing things right, are against it. The techs who just want to hurry up and get home, are in support of it, not surprisingly. Personally, I do feel only to things belong in the system, refrigerant and oil.
    Regards,
    Ron

Post Likes
    Hello,I'm in apartment maint,I've used HVAC-R fix a flat in my 2 ton units and it does very well.It costs 48 dollars.If the leak is to big you replace. But have saved the company thousands of dollars.It has not clogged a meter device or cap tubes.

14. Likes Kevinyork liked this post.
    Post Likes
    I don't recomend it for residential jobs and then charge the people the same price as replacing the evap coil or the condenser unit.That would be dishonest.In apartment maint you have limited time so sometimes in this bussiness it pays to try new things.

Post Likes
    Make sure you check your evap coil for good airflow or you could over charge the system.A man paid 100 dollars just to pull a secondary filter from under his air handler. He had a 30 year ac man doing his unit and never took the old filter out for 7 years. Pressure was low and icing up=clogged filter!! Same goes for condenser coils.

Post Likes
    Cliplight. Total 2 works great i put 200 cans in last year and on track for 300-400 this year. We put them in as a preventative in r22 units also to prevent unessasary coolant loss. So far only had 3 problems with old screens stopping up out of 200+ cans since last year. That is ok for me !

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximum19 View Post
    Cliplight. Total 2 works great i put 200 cans in last year and on track for 300-400 this year. We put them in as a preventative in r22 units also to prevent unessasary coolant loss. So far only had 3 problems with old screens stopping up out of 200+ cans since last year. That is ok for me !
    Whats your commision per can?

Post Likes
    The only one I trust when I have to use one is the Nu-Calgon AC easy seal. Its works wonders on slooooow leaks.. Havent clogged one filter/dryer, or evap yet and it can be put in with the suction at or below 50 psi in about a minute. I havent used 200 yet, and it will take me a looooong time to get to that number, but I have been known to use them here and there.

Post Likes
    I have been with the Boss that sells this to the customer..probably 6 times..within a couple day's 3 have had locked compressors..so its a 50/50...

Post Likes
    No commission just chosen by clients.

Post Likes
    i have used this stuff 4 different times with complete success. 3 times i could not find the leak after searching high and low. i put it in after 250 lbs of nitro and tracer r22 showed nothing. the 4th time was on a 22 year old rtu that the gm wanted to "get one more year" out of this unit without spending too much for the repair. all worked fine for me. actually the rtu is on its 3rd summer with no leaks. the way i approach it is i tell the customer the pros and cons and tell them there is no guarantee that it will hold. show them the reviews online if you like. i dont look at this as dishonesty, i look at it as offering the customer options.

Post Likes
    It just seems like a pain to deal with the stuff I have not even mentioned it to any of my customers because even if I put it in to get them by for now eventually myself or someone else will have to recover the charge (if the stuff holds) and I do not want that stuff in my equipment, so I choose to repair any leak I can, and for those I cant I inform the customer it is wise to replace the evap. or the whole system depending on age and condition. I appreciate all of the info on the stuff. I thought if I was to ever try it I would pick up a window shaker someone doesnt want and see how well it works.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in