What does your shop do to improve production of the service mechanics?

I have seen service managers who got their hands dirty.

I have seen Safety Managers who visited all the men and discussed issues with them.

I have seen regular mechanics selected to talk with the men and see what is needed to improve things across the board.

Does your shop do anything to make it easier on the field service mechanics? Or do they simply expect everyone to speak directly to the owner to get improvements/results?

My old boss would tell me to use my meter and thats all the help I gots.

"Politicians are the lowest form of life on Earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician"

- General George S. Patton

I am mainly an Estimator but I will run for supplies when it saves time on a job, I provide technical assistance from my own knowledge and my internet access, I run service calls when the workload gets overwhelming, I'll even run drinks and slushies by a job when the heat gets bad (and coffee in winter). I am also the mediator that the techs talk to with problems. I can usually tell them if there is a chance that the concern will be resolved and I can communicate it to the owner's in such a way that it has a better chance of resolution.
    The posts and comments made by me are in no way affiliated with any company or organization. They are simply my personal opinions.

It has been my opinion that the best way to make things better is to make the team you already have, more productive. Even if that is only by five percent.

Take the team you have, hone their skills/ knowledge/ attitudes ... the end result would be less down time, fewer calls backs, less accidents/ injuries, better morale.

I have worked where management sent the service manager around to spy on his people, to see who was screwing up.

I have wittnessed service mechanics who were dubed: "team leader" when all they really accomplished was to lie about people behind their backs.

I have worked with some of the smartest men in this industry. But none of them is without room for improvement. Not a single one!

But sometimes a mechanic needs someone to be an advocate for their needs.
    Someone to encourage them. Some person to "enable" them to excell!

Let's say management sent a guy out to visit his team, work alongside them and learn their strengths/weaknesses.

Then set about to create a plan on how to enable them to do better work. What would happen?

Managemnt typically views any and most all changes as "costly".
    They look at adding a position as costing them an additional 50 or seventy-five grand a year. (by the time you add support, wages, truck, uniforms, etc)

But doesnt anyone even realise that when a shop has ten men, all writing 175 to 250 THOUSAND DOLLARS a year in tickets!!! that an improvement of even five percent would more than cover the cost of this position???

Name one outfit who COULDNT use an additional fifty or hundred thousand dollars a year in gross profits? (assuming the shop has ten men in the field)

I am not speaking of a Mentor.
    I am not talking about a trainer/ educator.
    I do not mean a working foreman.

Does any of this make sense to you guys?

Has anyone ever thought of this before?

Our service manager is great. He spends time in the field with the guys to help them when they get stuck. I listened to him patiently explaining things over the phone to a tech for the 3rd time when I may have lost patience by then. He has regular meetings to bring up and work toward solving any issues that are arrising. He has spend time researching and solving problems that the factory engineers didn't seem to think about. I've seen him deliver parts or supplies to the techs when needed. He's capable of the high end, most technical stuff we run into and yet doesn't consider anything to be 'beneath him'.

Our general manager also does things for the guys. I've seen him go on installs and service calls when that's what it takes to get a customer taken care of in a timely manner. He also offers extra rewards for going above and beyond or when things are stressed.

Maybe I'm just lucky to work with managers that expect a lot from us, but give a lot in return.
    Never knock on Death's door. Ring the bell and run, he hates that.

Views expressed here are my own and not neccessarily those of any company I am affiliated with.

Sales, that is an ideal environment.

In my experience, managers have always talked about doing things for the guys... but most of it turned out to be just lip service.

Oh sure, there were the men who answered questions over the phone or accompanied the guys into the field to lend a hand or give advice. But whenever a man would say they had a problem with grasping something ... often times they never saw the solution.

Many times a man is simply instructed to "do without".

I dont believe it is profitable for any service mechanic to ever go without!

I told you a long time ago to come here, Bob.

Buy your own snowsuit. You'll get used to it.

R12 how is the wife doing?

Me being the guy in the field, my boss's (they work in the field too, but the 4 of them tend to pair up into crews and leave me alone most of the time).

I often get 4 people telling me what to do, when to do, how to do, etc. Keeps me busy... I guess that's kind of help right? lol

I will occasionally get help if I truly need it (and they know, if I'm desperate enough to call for help, they will help).

The biggest help though, the biggest boss will often come talk to a customer if for some reason we are having problems. I'm alright with public relations, but I have a short ammount of patience sometimes
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."