I have worked in refinerys and petrochemical plants now for 33 years. I have had the pleasure to have worked in control rooms and outside on some differant kinds of units. One was a hydrogen purification unit. The feed stock was a 50% Hydrogen, 25% ethane and 25% methane. The ethane was cooled to a liquid at -140F and the methane was cooled to a liquid at -245F. The Hydrogen left 99.9% pure. The ethane left to be cracked to ethylene. The methane was sold as natural gas to the city. Yes there were driers, the size of a 18 wheeler tanker. It is a little differant when the boss comes in and says to raise the tempature on the methane stream 2 degrees which was -245. So I set it at -247, then got to thinking, no -243. Work was fun when I was younger. Now I am burnt out. Roy

I work with scientists, grad students and research assistants, One guy has a hydrogen-liquid oxygen plasma thing used for some sort of coating process. He told me that the 100% outdoor air unit was not cooling his experiment.

I told him that the unit is heating only and it is 90 deg outside, no cooling is available during summer.

He said "When your process is 3000 deg, 90 is cooling."

I am dumb sometimes.

[Edited by powerhead on 07-26-2006 at 10:08 AM]
    Edited by powerhead on more than one occasion

powerhead

I saw something like that once. This process was a high pressure firing nozzle that was used to impregnate teflon into carbon steel. Like coating the inside of a vessel. I saw the application in a high density polyethylene plant. The process was very loud, sort of like arc gouge metal cutting. Roy

[Edited by oroy54 on 07-26-2006 at 10:07 AM]