+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st boiler install from my new company

Post Likes

1st boiler install from my new company

This guy was kinda cheap so he kept asking why we were replacing all this other stuff like the exp tank, auto fill, and why are you using copper, isn't that more expensive. Such a nuance but I know he was happy when we were done.

I know there are 2 gas shut off valves, my guys did that idk why, but its done now lol
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    Also we didn't do that hot water tank but we did re vent it to our new venting and I added a discharge tube in copper. We also fixed a gas leak where that flex connector hooked up to the hard pipe. Flex connectors were against code when I worked in the city of Toledo, Ohio but apparently out here in Fremont no one cares about code. lol I'll be getting some pics for the wall of shame soon.

Post Likes
    Hello to a fellow "ex" Toledoan
    I actually traversed to Fremont indiana
    Job looks good, what Co you working with?
    What Co did you come from (toledo)?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Are you pumping toward the expansion tank?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Are you pumping toward the expansion tank?
    It does not look like it if you make the pic bigger.

The world is full of sheep, try not to join the flock.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Post Likes
    The expansion tank and air-out assembly should be on the suction side of the pump for proper air removal. Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of "Pumping Away" by Dan Holohan. It's the best investment you can make if you plan on installing hot water systems. In fact, buy all his steam and HW books, and if you ever get the chance, go to one of his seminars.

A few picky points- the discharge tube on the relief valve should be no more than 6" from the floor, and no less than 2x the diameter of the pipe OD. A little hard to tell, but I think you are a bit over 6".

I like to put a valved bypass around the fill valve... but you did say the customer was tight.

Are there 2 shut-off valves on the water feed?

Nice piping work (few installers seem to know what a 45 is!). Set up for easy service.

Link to Pumping Away-
    http://shop.serviceroundtable.com/st...c-systems.aspx
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Yeah the pump is on the supply side of the system and the expansion tank and air scoop are on the return side coming into the boiler, so I would say it is on the suction side of the pump? idk maybe I'm wrong but its definitely not right after the pump.

As far a the discharge tube that is correct this one is about 10 inches from the floor (agree it should be 6). I only did that because i like to put a bucket under it during a clean and tune and blow out the crud to make sure the relief works properly. So that was preference choice on this install.

That fill valve has the fast fill lever. But that an interesting thing i may consider sometime.

Yeah when we tore out the old one i put that threaded valve on there really just to turn back on water before i left for the day. Left it in there and soldered on one i can turn and not worry about it leaking when i need to clean the screen during maintenance.

Post Likes
    I used to work at M and M Heating and Cooling in downtown Toledo. Worked there about 5 years with 4 years in service. For those of you who don't know M and M was one of the largest in Toledo, aprox 65 employees full time. Moved out here to Fremont, Ohio to start my own company. It's been one year but i have 2 vans 2 guys and an office lady (part time).

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Effhvacsteve View Post
    As far a the discharge tube that is correct this one is about 10 inches from the floor (agree it should be 6). I only did that because i like to put a bucket under it during a clean and tune and blow out the crud to make sure the relief works properly. So that was preference choice on this install.
    I didn't realize you could change the code book to make your work easier.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Post Likes
    Ouch, lol ok good point.

Post Likes
    Not that this changes anything but I've rarely seen a boiler in this area with a discharge tube on it at all. I made a choice to make a few inches shorter on purpose, I will be the one servicing this equipment in the future and yes my work will be easier. Thank you for your input.

Post Likes
    WH gas flex connector >3ft, no sediment trap, no support for vent connector. This is why you never use 'tallboy' water heaters-no vent rise.
    No isolation valve to thermal expansion tank. Have to drop the whole system to check charge or replace tank
    No LWCO-required even on hot water boilers now
    No discharge tube on backflow preventer vent-see plumbing code
    Pump before everything on supply-should be last thing before the zones.
    Vent connectors appear connected to a galvanized steel breaching cemented into the wall without a thimble. Can use galvy if in a thimble of clay or stainless steel but not in direct contact with masonry..
    No cleanout within 12" of base of chimney
    No liner
    Hollow CMU blocks probably not filled. This makes a chimney of sorts that conducts heat directly to mudsill 16" above. Common cause of fires.

I think I see a sediment trap on the gas to the boiler but that piping should be supported.

Post Likes
    ...We did not install that hot water heater.
    There are isolation valves on both sides of the expansion tank, one is hidden in the picture but the other is the return shut off valve.
    This boiler has a LWCO built in
    Pump is the first thing on the supply! is everyone blind?
    As far as the chimney goes it has a clay liner i may be wrong but I've never been required to run a chimney liner in a clay chimney.
    The gas line is hung with a piece of strap iron at the 3/4 90 that comes down to the boiler.

Maybe I should have posted a few more pictures from a few different angles you guys are having a hayday with all the stuff you can't even see in the picture.
    Lastly your right i didn't install a discharge tube from the backflow preventer vent.

Post Likes
    ...We did not install that hot water heater. I understand. Not trying to bust on you but offer my observations
    There are isolation valves on both sides of the expansion tank, one is hidden in the picture but the other is the return shut off valve.Fine. Makes more sense just to put a ballvalve between the air scoop and tank but that's fine. Just so you can check the charge or replace it without dropping the entire system
    This boiler has a LWCO built infine
    Pump is the first thing on the supply! is everyone blind?That's the problem dude! You are pumping into the tank! It should be on the supply yes, but pumping away from the tank!
    As far as the chimney goes it has a clay liner i may be wrong but I've never been required to run a chimney liner in a clay chimney.Means nothing. 99% of all clay tile lined chimneys fail a Level II inspection, which is what is required.
    The gas line is hung with a piece of strap iron at the 3/4 90 that comes down to the boiler.That's my point-no support down where it transitions to flex. They should have put a lateral support where it ends and put a sediment trap there, too

Maybe I should have posted a few more pictures from a few different angles you guys are having a hayday with all the stuff you can't even see in the picture.
    Lastly your right i didn't install a discharge tube from the backflow preventer vent.
    I don't think you understand the nature of this Wall of Fame- it is to put bragging pics of YOUR OWN work but agree to the critique or constructive criticism of peers. If you cannot take that you shouldn't post here. We're not here to make you look bad or personalize this. We post what we see as defects, questions or possible alternate ways to help you. In the future, yes, you would need to post more pics from varying angles because you trigger more questions than you answer with one pic. Peace brother

Post Likes
    I always use primary-secondary piping to help prevent excessive condensing in boiler with radiators or other large mass systems, or you can at least use a system bypass to help the boiler reach proper operating temperature faster.
    It's not what you're capable of doing that defines you, it's what you do on a daily basis.

Post Likes
    Sorry for being a baby. I should take it as constructive criticism.

So let me ask a question about something I may be wrong about. My pump is on the supply side of the system pumping into the loop, then after the loop it comes around into the air scoop and expansion tank then down into the boiler. Is that wrong? and if it is then where should it go?

Post Likes
    Sorry for being a baby. I should take it as constructive criticism.

So let me ask a question about something I may be wrong about. My pump is on the supply side of the system pumping into the loop, then after the loop it comes around into the air scoop and expansion tank then down into the boiler. Is that wrong? and if it is then where should it go?

Yes it's wrong you have the air scoop at the coldest point of the system, it won't separate air as well. And it's not technically behind the pump in my opinion. In order it should be scoop with exp tank and fill then pump so the exp tank is on the suction side, look in the manual for the boiler it will show you if you open them

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    Yes it's wrong you have the air scoop at the coldest point of the system, it won't separate air as well. And it's not technically behind the pump in my opinion. In order it should be scoop with exp tank and fill then pump so the exp tank is on the suction side, look in the manual for the boiler it will show you if you open them
    I agree. The air scoop, auto feed and expansion tank should be installed together. This is the point of no pressure difference.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Post Likes
    Your main pipes look pretty big. That might be too much pump for your system. You should come out of boiler into air scoop with expansion tank then pump. With 18" clear of any turns.

Post Likes
    Ok sounds good. Next one we do I will pipe it that way. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in