Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Work in Texas

Lots of work in San Antonio too. You'll be looking at temps upwards of 130 in the attics. It's rough in the summer and slow in the winter months.

I am in Midland "west texas" tripple digit weather and more work than we can handle were rolling 30 plus calls a day cause we just can't keep up. Would love to relocate to somewhere with trees water and a friendly community. The lifestyle here is horribly going down due to the oilfield. Pulling all help and the violence due Rodriguez cartels coming over the border and setting up shop

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy39 View Post
    I am in Midland "west texas" tripple digit weather and more work than we can handle were rolling 30 plus calls a day cause we just can't keep up. Would love to relocate to somewhere with trees water and a friendly community. The lifestyle here is horribly going down due to the oilfield. Pulling all help and the violence due Rodriguez cartels coming over the border and setting up shop
    Well if you mean Chicago, it's not too friendly here, and if you are a resi guy, that work has slowed a ton. Even in this heat. I'm in the commercial world, so I've got work here, but I hate this town. I make good money, but it's not worth it.

There are trees and water, but freindly communities are really expensive and getting hard to come by.

Just got my Texas technician certicate in the mail. It only took about a week. In Illinois that would have taken a month.

I too am considering a move to Texas. North Houston to be specific. My last duty station was in Lake Charles, LA, but, I was living almost at the shore of the Sabin River. The next exit on I-10 was Orange, TX. As I was preparing to retire from the USCG, I sent an email to the Texas License people in Austin. My wife really wanted us to stay there. She loved Texas a great deal. The state replied that my experience in the service would be enough to meet the prerequesite to take the states license test. I do AC's, but, refrigeration is my actual field. Where I work here in TN, we make jokes about HVAC people who aren't good enough to work refrigeration. I am pretty sure that HVAC folks say as much of reefer people, as well. My point is that I was intending to work refrigeration. As I read these post, I am wondering what test the State of Texas was telling me that I would have taken? Is there a refrigeration test for refrigeration techs that HVAC folks don't need? The company that I am thinking of does less than 1% of it's work in AC, and I'm sure it's only for companies that we do refrigeration work for. Help me know what test I am going to have to take, if any, as it could have only been for self employed contractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbycold View Post
    I too am considering a move to Texas. North Houston to be specific. My last duty station was in Lake Charles, LA, but, I was living almost at the shore of the Sabin River. The next exit on I-10 was Orange, TX. As I was preparing to retire from the USCG, I sent an email to the Texas License people in Austin. My wife really wanted us to stay there. She loved Texas a great deal. The state replied that my experience in the service would be enough to meet the prerequesite to take the states license test. I do AC's, but, refrigeration is my actual field. Where I work here in TN, we make jokes about HVAC people who aren't good enough to work refrigeration. I am pretty sure that HVAC folks say as much of reefer people, as well. My point is that I was intending to work refrigeration. As I read these post, I am wondering what test the State of Texas was telling me that I would have taken? Is there a refrigeration test for refrigeration techs that HVAC folks don't need? The company that I am thinking of does less than 1% of it's work in AC, and I'm sure it's only for companies that we do refrigeration work for. Help me know what test I am going to have to take, if any, as it could have only been for self employed contractors.
    To be a Licensed Contractor in Texas, there are seperate tests for HVAC and Reefer, although when I took mine in '98, they were virtually the same. About ten out of a hundred questions were different.

There are actually eight (I think) combinations of license(s) that you can obtain:

Class A, C No limits, HVAC or Reefer
    Class A, E No limits, HVAC only
    Class A, R No limits, Reefer only

Class B, C Limited to size, HVAC or Reefer
    Class B, E Limited to size, HVAC only
    Class B, R Limited to size, Reefer only

In addition, you can actually have two different classes of HVAC and Reefer license:

Class A/R along with Class B/E
    Class A/E along with Class B/R

Complicated enough for ya?
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbycold View Post
    My understanding is that if you are going to own and operate an hvac or refrigeration buisness, then you need the contractor license John is talking about. To be a tech, all you need to do is register which I did online in a link in a previous post on this thread.

I am new to the HVAC world and I am going to school for hvacr and moving to texas when I get that and my electrician license but they are going to be in MO and my degree and that will be in MO will companies or the state of TX take those? and what is a REEFER???

Reefer = refrigeration. You should have no problem registering as a hvac tech once you get down to TX. The electricians license is gonna be trickier. I have no idea if it will transfer. You're gonna have to ask TDLR about that. http://www.license.state.tx.us

Thank you for the advice

Not a problem

Speaking of the Rio Grande Valley, I lived in Corpus Christi for 6 years which is north of the Valley but close enough. If you are a skilled HVAC Technician I am sure you will be in demand because their are alot of people who dont care to work at all and I would think there would be very few skilled HVAC techs. I would call all the hotels in South Padre Island right now and tell them you know HVAC. Also I started to learn Spanish about 15 years ago and it is the best thing I have ever done. You will learn very quickly the difference between Mexicans from the USA and Mexicans from Mexico. They typically are very friendly and accepting of gringos but some are mad at the white man or whatever. The worst thing about South Texas is all the people living off of the Lone Star Card but it helps Americas food producers so I think of it as kind of a subsidy so I dont really care. You will see a ton of law enforcement officers looking for drugs and illegals. It feels almost militarized to me.

Where can I find someone that is looking for work and familiar with AX & R2 control systems?
    chuckm4614@yahoo.com

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast