Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Work in Texas

My move to Texas

Heatingman- That sounds real familiar as that is exactly what I did before we moved down here. My wife and I spent a couple of weeks here and tested the waters prior to our move. Right after we moved here the bottom fell out of the economy. Fortunately A/C is in constant demand in Houston, it was just a lot of big companies were cutting back. I have worked for Trane so I know slow progress. If you want light commercial I think you are looking in the right parts of the state. John Markl I went to St. Maurice on 36th. and Hoyne -GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Well I've been to Austin and like the feel of it. I don't care for the politics of the youth, but it can't be worse in that regard to Chicago.

That and her family is in Austin. I have no doubt i can find work there. I really don't care what sector the work is. I work on chillers now, but I don't need to. I think I would like a change of pace with the change of scenery.

I'll probably just about take any job to get started down there, but I think I would like to get into supermarket work.

What might a journeymen expect for pay in that neck of the woods?

I can handle a pay cut, as long as the cost of living has a equal cut or more.

Obviously Chicago can offer good money, but much of it goes to taxes and bs.

That and what I really want is land, and Texas has plenty of that.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Well I've been to Austin and like the feel of it. I don't care for the politics of the youth, but it can't be worse in that regard to Chicago.

That and her family is in Austin. I have no doubt i can find work there. I really don't care what sector the work is. I work on chillers now, but I don't need to. I think I would like a change of pace with the change of scenery.

I'll probably just about take any job to get started down there, but I think I would like to get into supermarket work.

Keep this in mind, for certain. If you're used to Chi-Town pay, you're gonna feel like you're taking a huge pay cut coming here....but, you can sell a 1200 square foot frame up there, and come down here and buy a 2000 square foot brick with a pool for that same munny.

I still have family in High Lake. What their housing costs and taxes amount to, more than eats up the higher wages.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Just looked up houses to rent in Austin. Wow I can rent a 2000 sq ft house for what I pay in tax every month on a house 1/2 the size.

What are property taxes like in Texas? And there is no income tax either right?

I could probably make 1/2 of my current pay and come out ahead.

Yes home prices and the cost of living in general are low.

Property tax's are dependent on your location but I've heard people complain now and then.

Ive had to remind them we DONT have a State income tax.

My Uncle lives in Berkely and lives in a 1800 sq ft home. For what he payed for his house you could by a 4500 sq foot home in one of the nicer gated suburbs in Houston.

So yes Texas is great place to live and we have a State legislature that understands how to spur a down economy and perpetuate it by offering incentives to companies that relocate here and not taxing the bejeezus out of its residents.

You can also take class's to carry concealed firearm on you. When that law was being discussed the anti gun crowd said the whole of Texas would resort back to the wild west.

Still waiting for that. It just means the citizens can defend themselves, their family and their property from low lifes.

A experienced Chiller tech can get 30+ and hour. Experienced commercial high 20s easy.

Centrifugal guys mid 30s and I now couple of guys getting close to 40/hr.

Resi is another story. Most resi companies are cheats and hire idiots IMO. If their guys have any knowledge at all its just enough to make a sale on a new system so I would stay commercial.

I dont know about Austin but in Houston there is a huge demand for mid to heavy commercial guys this time of year.

My E-Mail fills up with job offers and people promising me the world.

Just looked up houses to rent in Austin. Wow I can rent a 2000 sq ft house for what I pay in tax every month on a house 1/2 the size.

What are property taxes like in Texas? And there is no income tax either right?

I could probably make 1/2 of my current pay and come out ahead.
    I have a 2600 square foot brick on an acre....in town, 1 mile from the freeway, and 5-7 minutes from any restaurant or retail I want.

My taxes are $3367 per year. We have 4 entities....City, County, Community College, and Public School District.

When I lived in West Chicago, we had the City, County, Park District, Fire Protection district, Public School District, Community College, and that other lovely...The Forest Preserve District....

Yes, the cost of living is MUCH lower here...so don't let the wages scare you.

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Resi is another story. Most resi companies are cheats and hire idiots IMO. If their guys have any knowledge at all its just enough to make a sale on a new system so I would stay commercial..
    Keep it up, fella.....you're starting to sound like another chiller guy who thinks he's God's gift to the trade....

Spare me....

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Keep it up, fella.....you're starting to sound like another chiller guy who thinks he's God's gift to the trade....

Spare me....
    Haha...Hit a nerve ??

I said most resi companies and not ALL resi companies. Also have you read the AOP residential section of the forum lately ??

I spend my time repairing 5 to 50 ton package units, split units, office building pneumatic issues, VAVs and CAVs, pneumatic receiver controllers, water towers and then I have a few air cooled Chillers and a couple of water cooled chillers.

A couple of old GTNs, 5 RTAAs and a Mcquay. A wouldn't really consider myself a "CHILLER GUY".

Although I have nothing against the centrifugal techs. Their specific skill set is very important and the're in high demand.

The Residential side of this trade has itself to blame for it's overwhelming bad reputation. It's not just a hand full of companies that are responsible anymore.

Too many RESI companies go out with NO intention of repairing a perfectly good unit and will hand over a box of lies to the HO along with special financing incentives even sometimes knowing the HO is in financial straights.

Financing companies + a corrupt tech/company equal theft in my book saddling people with more debt in a down economy.

It's not about helping the customer out any more or developing a long standing relationship based on trust. It's get in, lie and then get out.

The 39.99 summer or winter checkups aren't being advertised by commercial companies. What happens during your average 39.99 check up call ??

You actually think ANYONE has just paid 40 bux plus tax and been given clean bill of health ???

A large AC company out of Dallas that ALSO advertises in Houston doesn't run advertisements on repairs. Its all replacements.

Some guy about a year over 80 years old comes on and says he's the owner, that it's slow and he just needs to keep his techs busy. HELL HE'S NOT EVEN MAKING A PROFIT !

HE''LL COME OUT AND JUST CHARGE FOR THE EQUIPMENT ! And then a neighbor walks over and shows me a quote for a 4 ton downstairs and 3 ton upstairs Rheem change out that's 17k.

Dont kill the messenger.

I'm no stranger to con men companies, and you are right, there are plenty of that type of residential outfit, but there are some commercial crooks as well. Believe me we've got crooks In Chicago. They don't call it crook county for no reason.

I would rather work for a commercial outfit, and don't mind light commercial. I definately don't like the do it all direction residential companies seem to be headed to.

I understand the logic behind being the one stop shop for the home owner, but I do Hvac, and while I can do plumbing, electric, and carpentry work, I only want to do Hvac while I'm at work.

It's not efficient to try and do it all.

Dallas

our operations manager was talking to me today about looking for a larger equipment tech. Voyagers, Intellipak's, AquaSnaps and the likes. Its a great company all commercial from 1 ton mini-mates to centrifugals. Its only 3hrs to Austin.

Quote Originally Posted by bsullins View Post
    our operations manager was talking to me today about looking for a larger equipment tech. Voyagers, Intellipak's, AquaSnaps and the likes. Its a great company all commercial from 1 ton mini-mates to centrifugals. Its only 3hrs to Austin.
    Thank you for the suggestion. I really appreciate it. I have work lined up in Austin, I just have to dot a few i's and cross a few t's. They've agreed to put me up in a hotel till i find a suitable rental.

I also have to break the news to my current employer. Things are moving faster then I thought.

But once I'm there, who knows, maybe I will look in Dallas if Austin does not pan out.

But once I'm there, who knows, maybe I will look in Dallas if Austin does not pan out.
    I'd never work in a city named after a soap opera J/k, congrats and best of luck!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast