Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Work in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Six View Post
    Texas is a right to work state. Not a lot of union shops and not a lot of licensing.

There are no apprentice / journeymen requisites to work in the state.

Your hired and continued employment will depend exclusively on your knowledge, productivity and work ethic.

Houston has a huge market for commercial and resi techs. Not sure about Austin. The heat for a native is oppressive this time of year. I cant imagine what it would be like for some one for up north.
    I have no beef with any of that. I could take the union or leave it.

Quote Originally Posted by heatingman View Post
    Not that I'm aware of. I might, but I doubt it.
    He ran Blue Frost Refrigeration up until about a year ago when he sold it and moved to Arizona. That was the first company my Dad started in 1970....He turned it over to Tom, who was his helper at the time in December of '73.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I certainly know of blue frost, but I have never met any of the guys. They seem to stay right in the neighborhood. I know for a fact they at least worked on they furnace that was in my home when I moved in. It was a old sears high boy.

I have since removed that bad boy, but she ran till the day I made the upgrade.

I still see there trucks now and then, but I've never ran into any of them in a supply house.

Did a quick search on Craigslist Austin and some companies are asking for tech registration. What does that process entail? Just pay the 20 per year, or is there a residency requirement?

Thanks.

Did a quick search on Craigslist Austin and some companies are asking for tech registration. What does that process entail? Just pay the 20 per year, or is there a residency requirement?

Thanks.
    Don't know for sure, but here's a link. Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes.....

https://www.license.state.tx.us/App_...apptype=092AN1

Well

I just paid my 35.00

I guess I will find out what is up in a few days.

They take CM as a qualifying test for certification, so that works.

Registration is easy. And TDLR doesn't have a residency requirement for techs. It's $35 to register as a certified tech (NATE, CM, ICE, RSES, just out of qualified trade school) or $20 to register as a registered technician. Renewals are $20 a year. It can be done online or in the mail. Hardest part is waiting for them to mail you you're paperwork.

How long till I get a response of some kind? Is it like a card of some kind to carry around?

These cards are not a requirement for employment in Texas. The state registration is just a BS fee so the government can pick up some extra scratch.

Your 608 is the only thing thats absolutely needed.

How long till I get a response of some kind? Is it like a card of some kind to carry around?
    It's a wallet card, should show up in a few weeks.

While the card may be meaningless to some....the law in Texas requires it if you are running service.

An EPA 608 card is meaningless too.....if you don't know how to fix anything.....

Requirements for Texas employment

heatingman- Any major HVAC contractor in TX will require a social security card, your EPA card (some may call it 608). I also am a transplant from the windy city, I grew up around Bridgeport and Brighton Park and was always at Comisky Park. I moved to Houston in 1982 and haven't looked back. I do mostly heavy commercial, industrial chillers. With all the undocumented workers here the contractors are pretty strict on citizen requirements. I don't see you having much of a problem finding work anywhere in this state. Good luck GEO
    Once in a while everything falls into place and I am able to move forward, most of the time it just falls all over the place and I can't go anywhere-GEO

Quote Originally Posted by ga1279 View Post
    I grew up around Bridgeport and Brighton Park and was always at Comiskey Park.
    My late uncle was the pastor at All Saints/St.Anthony's on 28th....

Seems like a lot of Chicago folks moved to Texas. I still have some research to do, and the move is a long way, so that alone is an undertaking.

I'd like to have a job lined up I'm advance, but I have never had trouble finding work here in Chicago, so hopefully it's no different there. Anytime I've ever looked for work, I've landed 2 to 3 offers in a week, with the exception of TRANE, they took there sweet time.

I'm a commercial guy, but I don't mind resi work, just some of the customer issues. I know Lennox is hiring in Austin, but I'm not sure I want to work for a company that big again. I like smaller companies, you seem to be valued more, and the owner actually knows who you are.

The only real hang up at this point is my house. I can't sell it, so I'll have to see if my brother will manage the property as a rental for me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast