Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBacardi View Post
    alot of caps have the varience stamped on them...+-6%

if not stamped...10 percent is good choice( wiki says +- 5%)..
    but i usually use 10% unless otherwise stated....

and if it is close to spec...i still reccommend change....

we offer full money back guaruntee if equip fails within 6 mos of tune up.....

assuming they change everything i reccomend.....

and for those old skool guys.....piss off.....

if i am going to GUARANTEE no breakdowns.... i mean it....

but the way i do it is totally legit....change most of these 10 yo parts...and i promise it will still work!

i also believe only a fool puts a new cap...or contactors in a 10 yo unit....

at ten yrs old the system is done and out of warranty....

why put a new crate engine in a 15 yo car????? stoopid???? yes\\\\\\\\\\\\1111
    Can you expound on your whole statement.
    It sounds like double talk.
    You change 10 year old parts with new ones & guarantee it for 6 months but then say
    So how do you change 10 year old parts from a unit that is less than 10 years old?
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    An engineer designs what he would never work on.
    A technician works on what he would never design.

With only a year in I've witnessed: a thirty something year old 5uf cap that still measured 5.1 and survived the blower motor; a three year old 70/5 that measured 1.8 on the fan side, causing fan to fail; a twelve year old 10uf that measured about 4 and still turned the blower motor; and all shades of grey in between.

I've replaced dozens of caps on working systems when I find them out of spec. It's all you can do to try and catch them when they are weakening; however a perfectly good, in spec cap can go all at once in high heat.

Why wouldn't you do something that normally takes far less than a few minutes? But I must admit to skipping a few of those skinny grey ones way in the back left hand side of the blower compartment in a unit that's a quarter century old or more and poorly maintained. Unless I hear the blower struggling to start. You almost deserve to have a failure if your HVAC system is 25 years old and you have two shiny cars in the drive way less than a few years old - but that's just me.

Also (and tar and feather me if you must), if you have a filthy house with many animals and their droppings any where near the equipment - you are not going to get a quality PM from me. Period.

Whether it counts as a call back or not depends entirely upon if you checked the cap and documented a decline to replace.

I'd honestly rather step in dog **** than let someone think I can't do proper PM.

Quote Originally Posted by schr8er View Post
    I'd honestly rather step in dog **** than let someone think I can't do proper PM.
    Go for it.

I still wonder if I should dropped a dime to child services as there was a toddler in diapers running around this house.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

tamar...what does a good cap look like????

Good Cap....

Bad Cap....

Hope this helps!
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.” –Albert Einstein

“Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.”-Vernon Law

Yeah, that's a little ridiculous. I see what you mean. Still, though, that's not our job. We're not the morality police. If a situation is severe enough, then sure. I know how irritating it is to work in someone's filth, but we're here to do our jobs the best way we can, come hell or high water.

Yeah, that's a little ridiculous. I see what you mean. Still, though, that's not our job. We're not the morality police. If a situation is severe enough, then sure. I know how irritating it is to work in someone's filth, but we're here to do our jobs the best way we can, come hell or high water.
    True enough.

Weeks later I was telling another tech whom I haven't worked with in awhile. I told him I might gag as I tell it and sure enough - that scent was right there back in my nostrils out of nowhere and I just had to gag and shiver...much to my buddy's amusement.

Adding to the fun was the fact that it really wasn't a PM but a no cool; try as they might to convince me they just "didn't want to turn it on (in a 90+ heat snap we had) until it was checked out." All that urine, fecal matter and food items in the sink and around the counter cooking in an 85 degree house.

Outside was much better and, ironically, free of dog piles. Why should they go outside when they can go freely in the basement? There were three dogs and at least two cats that I noticed.

So I completely washed the outdoor coil, let it dry and charged it back up out there in the fresh air and they had cooling again. But that is one blower run cap I did not take the time and precious little breathable air to check...

Hahaha, that's awful. I didn't mean to come off all preachy, because yeah, that sounds... ahem... sh*tty.

Hahaha, that's awful. I didn't mean to come off all preachy, because yeah, that sounds... ahem... sh*tty.
    No worries. I figured you thought I was initially referring to a few landmines around the condenser outside...

I just checked this thread again. I don't blame you at all dude, they could have at least picked the **** up.

In 20 years I've called CPS twice after service calls to peoples homes.
    I've called APS once.

I don't agree with a lot of the BS that CPS and APS do, but sometimes something is just so wrong that something has to be done...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

but the way i do it is totally legit....change most of these 10 yo parts...and i promise it will still work!

at ten yrs old the system is done and out of warranty....

why put a new crate engine in a 15 yo car????? stoopid???? yes\\\\\\\\\\\\1111

Really? So people pay for pm service evry year to have you come in at year ten and say the capacitor is bad you need a new system? Ive seen guys get fired for the practice you described above. You really think people will take on the expense of replacing a system that only needs a minor repair simply because its out of warranty? Sounds like B.S. to me

Wouldn't the sale of a capacitor also be a revenue generator? Aren't we out there to give the customer an honest evaluation of their system and to also make money for the company?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast