Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnt2_2002 View Post
    it takes minimal time to test it. If the customer says no, then make sure its documented. If they call back, it will be a service fee and part.

it should have been tested regardless IMO......
    Yea, write it on the invoice and be very specific. Stupid old lady's see a part with surface rust on it thats bad, it had rust on it when you were there yesterday, in her mind you should have replaced it. I had one of those a few weeks ago too. People like that really piss me off.

Don't do it verbally either, they'll stab you right in the back when it fails and claim you didn't say a word about it.

It is very important to check cap. A cap can be low or below specs and still work but who knows how long.
    I am an experienced, caring, trusted, service provider who solves my customers issues beyond there expectations by educating them and guiding them with value-building options to make excellent buying decisions while building security and wealth for my company, myself and my family.

tamar...what does a good cap look like????

Please, Please Please......keep the Factory Smoke in the Wires!!!!!

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Yeah 10-4, it's never been an issue for me before honestly, this one here just got to me because the cap looked brand new. But from now on just for preventative purposes I'll test them regardless and make a note of it. to cover my own rear. In my opinion this shouldn't be considered a callback. But I can see why some companies would consider it so (probably mine too) But next time it happens there will be written doc on the cap on my invoice, if they count it as a callback in that case they are just venting at the new guy. :]

I do tune-ups as well as service and yes I check the caps on all tune ups, there is no spot on our invoice so I write it under remarks...practice cya and if it comes back pull the invoice.

without a mfd reading????? how would you know....

chalk this up to experience.

and yes....measuring capacitance is good practice on every call.

if it is out by 5 percent...unless otherwise stated on cap....it is nfg...and must be replaced...

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Don't try to turn it around on me Bacardi :-[. Maybe I should have worded it differently, I know you can't judge a capacitors capacitance by appearance alone, But you can d*** sure judge a bad one sometimes. :P

Quote Originally Posted by TamarHV View Post
    Maybe I should. But theres not even a spot on my tuneup sheet for a cap check.
    Do you guys check MFDS on capacitor every time you go on tune-ups? Be honest and catholics dont answer. joke
    Yup. I hate having call backs. And with my luck, I'll get that call at the most inconvenient time lol. If I get lazy, and we all do, I usually say to myself "I don't want to come back here for any problems"--this just motivates me to make sure I check everything!

There's a reason why its call preventive maintenance.

hey... i was just asking you what a good cap looks like????

that was your statement....

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

lesson learned, and a good cap looks like a red one with crimson tide and an elephant, and a big A on the front of it.

how can i turn it back on you???

u didnt measure mfd...

it looked nice and pretty...week later it blew up?
    and i am turning this around back on you?

Is it Rum'Oclock yet???

Quote Originally Posted by TamarHV View Post
    Maybe I should. But theres not even a spot on my tuneup sheet for a cap check.
    Do you guys check MFDS on capacitor every time you go on tune-ups? Be honest and catholics dont answer. joke
    I test every capacitor that I run across, tune-up or not. When they're swelled up like a balloon on top there's no need to grab the meter, but I find just as many if not more bad caps that have no visible signs of damage.

FWIW, I think it's good policy to waive the diagnostic fee for 30 days after a tune-up. The repeat business and word of mouth is worth way more than a diagnostic fee. In any case, the callback policy is right there on our invoice. This would have been a callback whether the cap was ok or not at the time of the tune-up, UNLESS, it tested bad and the customer refused to replace it at that time. That also goes for any other items that were mentioned to them that needed attention, and that were duly noted on the invoice as being rejected by the customer.
    Last edited by hvacrmedic; 06-20-2012 at 10:38 PM.

Great point, I didn't measure it and it looked shiny, you win.
    what I should have said is it didn't look like it was FUBAR status

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast