Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hey thank you for all the input I was surprised to see this is quite a problem. Like I said it hasn't seemed to be one brand either, I have been selling goodman, never cared for rheem or rudd much my background is mostly all in commercial/industrial service, thought residential would be a bore but lately it has been interesting. Not sure what to think about the new aluminum coils, when I did all commercial/industrial most of the leaks I found I would repair even when it was where the copper went through the steel, not always pretty, and not always sensible if it leaked in one spot like that more leaks are sure to follow. Thanks again for the input puts my mind to rest was thinking maybe I was missing something, didnt want to start changing out evaps and wasting the customers money and my time!

Changed this one out along with the air handler this AM. Carrier '08

Came across another the very next call. Carrier '07 - three months away from end of warranty. This one scared me as I did the clean and check in March when we had a little heat spell. And I paid particular attention as I always look hard at these coils. Just like that, it started leaking big...4# in a six # and change system.

The tin coated coils seem to be doing fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've sold Rheem for 25 years, didn't start having evap leaks til they started making N coils in Mexico
    We are finding that out also. 3 in the last 2 weeks. Our theory is that the rifleing (sp) process is taking too much copper away or thinning it out too much. The 410a ones I have found have leaked in the rear lower 1/4 of the bottom area.

I really didn't want to be changing out coils for the next 10 years.
    Governments don't tax to get the money they need, governments will always find a need for the money they get. Ronald Wilson Reagon

Born Again KA

I am still surprised at how many of these coils are bad, I am still finding more, haven't replaced any as of yet, quoted replacement but there have been a couple that may have been under warranty but the installer didnt register the system. My background has been commercial/industrial service, now that I have my own business I do residential along with commercial and I dont remember haveing so many problems with the commercial evaps. I have found a lot of leaks on commercial stuff mainly in the condensers, the evaps, I found with leaks were usually on rtu's where the fumes were very corrosive and the coil had not been dipped before installation or walk in coolers seem to have a lot of evap leaks where pickles and salad dressing type food were stored in the cooler uncovered. I guess on the up side of this problem it is keeping me busy!

Always wondered why those old screamin rheems I would service would look like hammered dog****, but still be runnin great and not need a drop of freon. Around here most leaks we see are in the evap coil. Usually it seems smaller leaks in coil larger ones elsewhere. Last year, the geothermal brand the company I work for sells, waterfurnace, had a major problem with their coils everyone we put in had to have the coils replaced. And by midyear their solution was to ship the new geos with an extra coil!!! Think they've changed their coil design now but was ridiculous.

Hey guys mid size HVAC dealer from Canada . we are experiencing our first summer of bad leaky coils . I have heard there are lawsuits against Goodman and Lennox . What are you guys finding out therenow . I should add leaks so small they will hold test preasures , but a year later . Thanks for any help.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've sold Rheem for 25 years, didn't start having evap leaks til they started making N coils in Mexico
    Hey BaldLoonie. I just started w a new company, very good company, and they do things the right way. Anyways they sell rheem also. I guess I'm just gonna have to get used to rheem. But I'm not too fond of thier design. U have to take panel off to gage up, don't like how u can't just pull cap and strap a new one in. And those oblong condensers don't fit as nice in certain places or look as nice. Also just to give it a good wash down, that's way too much work to skin it, then u have to lay ur head in mud to get bottom screws back in. I'm not done crying. The hole for the whip is 1 inch so u have to put a reducing ring on both sides to get ur 1/2 " whip in tight. I cant even get my appion core valve remover tool on either line on the oblong units. That's all I can think of for now. Hoping come winter the furnaces r a lil easier transition
    One more thing, When installing a coil horizontal, don't like how the drain 45s down instead of straight out. and man r those coils freaking heavy!
    Last edited by Carbent; 07-23-2013 at 07:17 PM. Reason: more whining

formacary corrosion is the reason the coils go bad..just cant spell it haha
    or with a upgrade to 410 the ine set may not have been cleaned good enough..but i hate goodman due to so many problems

[QUOTE=cchc;13505961]The joke of the the techs around here is. If its a goodman and its low on freon the coil needs replaced.

We use to tell our parts girl that when they ordered a Goodman just attach another coil with the order, wouldn't be long before we'd need it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Also wish they would give us alittle more room to wire up tstat wires on square units instead of that 2" by 1" triangle box thaats impossible to put back in. One prop I wwill give rheem tho is on their heat pumps, is if there reversing valve goes bad, homeowner still has heat and A/C no matter the season. Whereas on any other brand, if reversing valve fails, HO Isn't getting cooling.

[QUOTE=John8385;16289711]
    Quote Originally Posted by cchc View Post
    The joke of the the techs around here is. If its a goodman and its low on freon the coil needs replaced.

We use to tell our parts girl that when they ordered a Goodman just attach another coil with the order, wouldn't be long before we'd need it.

Of course it has to be a defective coil. I mean, it has to be, it's a goodman. It can't be that the field installed TXV worked it's fittings a little loose due to expansion\contraction, a leaking Schrader valve\Schrader valve cover or the hack install, a defective field braze, etc:. It must a defective coil, so much so that if a Goodman unit is ever low on "Freon", the problem must be a leaking Evap coil, so many of em leak that you carry one with you on the truck.. I think I'll just install Trane or something else. At least I'll know a "freon" leak in those systems is not in the AHU coil for the most part.

I have to ask, if a tech\owner has no faith in the product they sell or install, why do you deal or work on it? If you make a paycheck installing the product\repairing same, STFU and do your job. There are plenty of techs out there that will work on and repair what you suggest is an "inferior" product. JMHO.

[QUOTE=John8385;16289711]
    Quote Originally Posted by cchc View Post
    The joke of the the techs around here is. If its a goodman and its low on freon the coil needs replaced.

I thought goodman was crap as well, but then I started into the 06-12 Lennox Evap. Coils OH MY!!!!
    I don't even need a leak detector, I look for oil on the steel plates, then if it is mixed with a really red crusty rust, and it needed freon, it gets condemned.
    ALL of this really started with the high efficiency GOV. demand which necessitated thinner copper which is even More susceptible to Formicary corrosion and then to add insult to injury lets kick up the pressure!!!!! Here comes 410a!!!! Then the TXV fiasco.
    After much review I refuse to install equipment that has a copper/alum/steel composition.
    Only all aluminum! SO Goodman does their homework before everyone else, gets a good quality coil design going and they are taking back a good portion of the market whether you like them or not.
    Lennox is getting spanked because they drug their feet too long with all aluminum coils btw

[QUOTE=KCJN832;16292611]
    Quote Originally Posted by John8385 View Post

SO Goodman does their homework before everyone else, gets a good quality coil design going and they are taking back a good portion of the market whether you like them or not.

I agree and kudos to them for seeing a problem and fixing it instead of following the crowd. Their aluminum coils seem to be a good improvement so far and I think It'll be a fixture in the market. Carrier in the early to mid 80's used aluminum and they're a lot of them out there still running. I made the light hearted stab at Goodman because at the time they seemed to be the ones having most of the problems until everyone else came on board with the same trouble as you mentioned why. We've all been tired of trying to explain to the customer why they have to replace their coils so soon after they just shelled out thousands of dollars for what they thought was quality equipment. Until the government keeps their green nose out of everything we'll have thinner walled copper and other inferior products until the manufacturers see the problem and fix it. In the meantime we'll just keep telling the customer we didn't design the product, just working with what they send us.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast