Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Leaky Evap coils

Has anyone had a rash of leaky evap coils? Ive had 3 in the last day and a half, leak detector goes off but cant make any bubbles show up to pinpoint the leak, the leaks have all been where the copper u bends go through the steel ends on the evap. The leaks are down on the last 2 bends, the last two units were 2005, one amana and one bryant/payne, the other brand I forgot, one was low a pound and a half the others were low by 3 to 4 pounds all were charged last year by a different contractor who "didnt know how to leak check" or didnt have a leak checker? Not sure why he couldnt have used some of the homeowners dish soap with some water but good thing is I picked up the job they didnt call the last contractor back. Most times I find the leak on the cap tubes in the evap from not being zip tied together or from the zip tie breaking allowing the cap tubes to rub. Lately though all have been where the copper goes through the steel.

find them all the time Goodman and Trane

Last half dozen or so I found were in the middle if the freaking coil. Seems like no brand is any better than the rest so far as coils go.

The joke of the the techs around here is. If its a goodman and its low on freon the coil needs replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Easily >90% of the systems I find low of refrigerant have a leaking evap coil, either at the rusted out tube sheet, or in the copper tubing in the fin area.

Doesn't matter what brand, they all have problems.

It's why Trane, Goodman, and Allstyle have gone to all aluminum coils, and other manufacturers are working on the same.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Easily >90% of the systems I find low of refrigerant have a leaking evap coil, either at the rusted out tube sheet, or in the copper tubing in the fin area.

Doesn't matter what brand, they all have problems.

It's why Trane, Goodman, and Allstyle have gone to all aluminum coils, and other manufacturers are working on the same.
    this is what we get for having them manufactured in china, indonesia, mexico, etc....
    You have to pay your due's before you pay the rent!

Leaky coil

I heard from my distributor that coils are having a problem, mainly in the South, from sheet rock emitting to much Sulfer as a byproduct in the sheet rock from China or Japan, not sure. I know this sounds funny, but I was told it is a nightmare in the south. I also was told that Goodman actually moved the coil production from the Texas factory to somewhere in Tenn. After they narrowed down the problem, they made a clean room in Texas but after sending out the new all aluminum coil, there was still to much copper content in the air in the clean room and they would still erode. Again, sounds crazy but that is part of the reason they went to all aluminum. Could be why you are running into it.

Quote Originally Posted by n-e-w Jerz! View Post
    this is what we get for having them manufactured in china, indonesia, mexico, etc....
    We've sold Rheem for 25 years, didn't start having evap leaks til they started making N coils in Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    We've sold Rheem for 25 years, didn't start having evap leaks til they started making N coils in Mexico
    Great. 95% of what I install is Ruud. As far as coil leaks without doubt the majority are at the copper to galvanized header in the bends. Since you do not see that as often in the condensor which has the same build I have always suspected the high temps at the coil in winter aggravate the problem. You have copper and galvanized expanding at different rates. Anyway, that's my take.

Formicary corrosion. Carrier had a horrible problem 06-08 and now coats with tin. Still coming across them and changed another out last Friday.

The leak check routine? If it's still warranty ( not that old) and the coil is rusty around the bends where it meets the steel and has premature filthy crud building up in the drain pan; it's a bad coil.

The only leak check I would do on a system that is still warranty-new would be on the braze joints.

Don't charge it unless it's for temporary cooling pending a change out.

Be brave and be honest with the client.

Agree with Glennhvac's take. Especially if the refrigerant is being forced towards the indoor coil during mild temps by a crankcase heater when the furnace is not running. Right to where the problem areas lie.

I've seen lab results from a section of copper tube, had a ton of iron mixed into the copper. The iron rusts and leaves pin holes.
    The cause is impurities in the copper from what I've seen.

I don't even bother to pin point leaks, if my leak detector signals at the same spot every time I put it there, thats good enough.

Always finding bad coils man, always. Almost 95% of the calls I've went on where the unit was substantially low we had a leaking coil

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Down here in AC land we see plenty of the older style Rheem/Ruud coils leaking, but it is less common than other brands.
    They still get the formicary corrosion, but since Rheem/Ruud coils didn't actually have the copper tubs pressed through a steel tube sheet, an entire category of common leaks is avoided.
    I always thought that was a great idea, even though I have always hated those coils because they are impossible to clean in place.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast